Tell me the truth...how bad is it going to be in mid June?

HollyL

Mouseketeer
With my husband teaching, and one kid in the 1st grade, we can only go to Disneyland during the Summer months. We are planning on spending 3-4 days around June 13-20th (we are flexible with our days). Just wondering if weekends should be avoided, or if weekends aren't as bad due to the Annual Passport black-out dates. We live in Texas, and the last day of school is June 6th. We have to go spend a week with my parents in Arizona before we go to D-Land because they are going on a cruise. We really wanted to hit Disney as early in June as possible, but I can't hurt my parents feelings, so it looks like we have to settle for mid-June.
The heat won't bother us since we live in Houston, and by June, it will be close to 100 degrees and super humid, but I am fearing the crowds.
I grew up in California, and am a Disney veteran, and fast pass savvy, but it's been a long time since I have visited during the Summer. I am bracing myself for the worst, and thinking that we'll go as soon as the parks open, take a long break/nap during the afternoon, and go back in the evening, but will that still be bad? I would just hate to spend all the money to fly out, get fast passes and my kids act cranky the whole time because of standing in line for everything.
I also don't really trust those crowd prediction sites because my last two trips it predicted that Disneyland was going to be a "Ghost town" and it felt like we were there in the middle of the Summer.

We plan on being in the area for about a week, and will probably get a 3 or 4 day hopper, and also somewhere in the middle of it all, we'll go to Lego Land, or the beach, or somewhere else, just to break things up, just wondering if any of the locals/experts can tell me if some days are just better than others.

Thanks ya'll!

As long as you don't mind huge crowds and waiting in lines (hey, some people don't mind em!), it wont be bad at all.
But IMHO, it's a terrible time to go and we don't even bother considering it - at least it is for us.
We choose to go in early may, oct or the week right after Labor day.

June isn't that bad. We go frequently. It's warmer and more crowded, but hours and entertainment schedules are maxed out. The key is to take a break during the mid-day rush (about 2-4PM), then be refreshed and ready for the night. I would definitely avoid weekends just because they're more crowded with locals.

I think mid-June isn't as bad crowd wise as it is later in the month through August and early September. Most schools in California are getting out by the second week of the month. Snce you will be there for about a week pplan on going to Disneyland and DCA during the week for lower crowds. Most of the locals tend to hit Disneyland on the weekends. If you do need to hit one of the parks on the weekend, opt for going to DCA. Another tip is to go back to your hotel (if close enough) or to Downtown Disney during mid day when I found the crowds to be at the highest levels. This will give you a much needed break.

Thanks guys! I haven't done Disneyland in the Summer since I was a kid, and that was before California Adventure came along. I just remember it being crowded and hot (raised in San Francisco and used to 60 degree temps in the Summer) but still a lot of fun. Since it will be close to 100 degrees every day in Houston by June, the Southern California heat will probably feel much better. We will probably stay at the new Marriott across the street (have points to use) so we'll be fairly close to take long afternoon breaks.
Thanks for the advice about the weekends. I thought for some reason because of the annual pass block-out dates, it might not be so bad. I guess we'll hit the beach over the weekend.

HollyL,
I just got back from 2 days at Disneyland during Spring Break season and the crowd levels were a 9 out of 10 according to my app. Despite the huge crowds we still managed to have a great time and experience a lot. My number one piece of advice is be at the parks early. Our first day in DCA we did the Cars ride, Toy Story Mania, and California Screaming all before 10 o'clock because we were at the park during rope drop. Also its important to utilize the fast-pass system. This might seem like obvious advice but I just wanted to let you know that despite large crowds there is no need to panic. My last piece of advice is research into attractions that might have a more tolerable wait. Some ride lines are much more immersive and create a better experience than just standing outside going back and forth. For example I think an hour wait for Indiana Jones would be much better than an hour wait for California Screamin. Have a great trip!

I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm also a Houston Mom with a 1st grader going in mid-June (17-23). We planned our trip to take advantage of the SoCal AP blockout dates. There are Grad Nights on June 17th & 19th to take into account as well. Taking all that into account, I know for certain we will be at the park on the 18th!

Hi fellow Houston Mom! We have actually changed our dates at the park, and will be arriving the evening of June 4th, and will be in the parks on June 5, 7, and 9th. I really don't know how accurate the "Is it packed" site is, but the crowd levels don't seem too bad at all, plus, I found some great airfare prices.
It seems like most Houston peeps head East to Disneyworld, but I just prefer the original so much more. Until my kids tell me otherwise, we'll keep heading west (plus I was born and raised in California, so I just prefer going out there).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter