Tell me the good, bad, and ugly of Kona Cafe?

deslynnpatterson

DIS Veteran
i just happen to stumble across this -- and decided to make a ADR for sept in place of Garden Grill-- please help me feel at ease that i made a wise choice-- how was the food? the atmosphere? Service? thanks so much for your help!
~Desiree:thanks:

One word - amazing. We did this on a whim on our last trip and it was one of the best meals I have ever had at Disney. We both had the filet

filet: WONDERFUL!!

homemade chicken soup: DIVINE (I wanted something that tasted like home!)

desserts: To DIE for. (OK, my favorite death by chocolate is gone ... but other desserts are good also)

the COFFEE - REAL KONA COFFEE - heavenly and drinkable!!

The DRINKS: Ok - had two with an umbrella in it & now I don't remember anything! :scared: (meaning they were very good and I enjoyed them alot) :thumbsup2

Downside: close tables (but not as bad as some) & bad acoustics -- very loud. Don't count on much conversation without talking loud!

We have eaten there four times - we ate there two days in a row because we loved it soooo much!

The wife and I were going to try Ohana's, 2hr wait with no reservations, so we waited 45 minutes for Kona. We loved it and will definately try go again. Food was terrific.

We love the Kona - it is one of our "must do's" for every trip. Sometimes we eat there twice, once for breakfast and once for dinner. We have always had good service, we enjoy the atmosphere and the food has always been fabulous. I don't think you'll be disappointed! Have a good time. :)

The Kona? :upsidedow ABSOLUTELY wonderful for dinner Thanksgiving 07! My very fussy and diabetic DF even Loooooved it! My kids keep bugging me to go back for the mashed potatos! We are getting married there in August and he is adamant about having our welcome dinner there...even though we could do it at Artist point and it would be so much easier. The shrimp and scallops were delicious and the asian noodle? YUM! THEN, there was the no sugar applestackers....TO DIE FOR! try it, YOU WILL love it! (MUCH better than Ohana imho) Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

We've never done dinner here, but breakfast is almost a must do. Maybe one day we'll make it to dinner, we've heard it's great, and under-ranked.

There is no bad or ugly with Kona. We LOVE Lona cafe for breakfast & dinner :lovestruc

For breakfast, my favorite is the Pineapple Macadmia Nut Pancakes (DH loves the Tonga Toast) and the Kona coffee is divine :thumbsup2

For dinner, I love the Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi (DH loves the sirloin).

Just tried the Lapu Lapu for the first time & it is my new favorite drink :cloud9: It is the one in the pineapple ;)

322718176.jpg

Food was soooooo good. Had the filet and the kilua volcano chocolate cake. Had a volcano roll from the sushi bar for an appitizer which was amazing, and I eat a lot of sushi! The atmosphere was busy and a bit loud but not too bad! I would eat there again anytime! My mom had the shrimp and scallops and she loved it, also had the cheesecake for dessert! She said is was very very good.

Kona is very good for any meal. :thumbsup2
The only thing I wish is they would have more main entree offerings for dinner. But that is minor really.

Kona is AWESOME :thumbsup2. We LOVE it as it is one of our favorite places and we make sure we go atleast once a trip ::yes::. The prime rib and filet are out of this world :).

Breakfast is amazing, always a great choice

We did dinner once and liked it very much, awesome bread, wings and a killer teriyaki steak (DH fav). The only ugly is the shrimp and lo mein noodles (this was because of my personal taste, technically there was nothing wrong with the food). I did not know they changed the recipe, I thought I was getting a savory lo mein dish but instead it was sweet and sour and heavy on the sweet side loaded with pineapple and red pepper chunks. I would go back for dinner but order something else

We absolutely loved kona cafe. We went for dinner as the food was amazing! And the atmosphere was wonderful! O and dont even get me started on dessert! :lovestruc I especially loved the kona kone!

love Love LOVE Kona! I have nothing but good things to say about it, the food is delicious, the service was great, and I love being at the Poly. Everything we had to eat from appetizer to dessert was fabulous!

There is no "bad or ugly" about Kona. My DW and I have enjoyed both breakfasts and dinners at Kona. My favorite is the Pineapple Macadamia Pancakes (even more that Tonga Toast)! The coffee is wonderful even if you don't splurge for the press pot of 100% Kona. The service there has always been outstanding. In fact, we just had another delicious breakfast there last Sunday. :goodvibes You made the right choice. :thumbsup2

I agree - no *bad/ugly* here!

I had the filet mignon on one trip and it was the best meal of that trip! The desserts - awesome! My husband appreciated having real coffee :)

no bad or ugly! we have had breakfast there every trip, and dinner several times.

The macadamia nut /pineapple pancakes are utterly fantastic!! The waitress had to talk me into it, I thought they would be too sweet, but the taste was just wonderful! coffee fantastic!

but it is loud!

I thought the food was ok but you could get a similar quality elsewhere. The atmosphere, though, I thought was terrible. It really felt to me like you were eating at a cafeteria in the middle of a hotel. It would have been fine as a quick service place and I'm sure it's wonderful for breakfast but, for dinner, I have higher expectations. That being said, it seems extremely popular so what do I know. Give it a try.

It's always our first breakfast each trip.

I'm a Tonga Toast and Kona coffee guy. :thumbsup2

No complaints here. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter