Tell me the GOOD about August...

I was in WDW the last two weeks of August last year and have now complaints. The crowd level was down and it was cheeper to go then. It was really hot but I've seen it hotter.....infact it was hotter in NY ealier that summer. Bone of us got sick from the sun or even a sun burn. Bting lots of water and sun lotion and you'll be fine :thumbsup2

good things about August: it's a heckofa lot warmer there then, than it is here now (Im in MN... about -23 today:) ) *Thinking warm thoughts!!!*

i've been there the 1st week in August. I'll have to try that last week business... when we were there during the 1st week it was PACKED!!!

and REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY hot and HUMID. No matter how many times you shower you are STILL sweating uncontrollably. Not only uncontrolably but INSTANTLY. LIke the second you step out of your hotel room you are drenched. You blink and you sweat buckets. Ok, maybe that's a BIT from the truth, but not by much.

Good news: you can eat whatever you want because withing 5 minutes you'll sweat it all of anyway:) WOO HOO!!!!

Kali, on the other hand, was the most popular attraction last August. I think fast passes were gone before they opened:);)

I've been to WDW in Jan, Oct and twice in August. Am going back again this August since summer is the best time for our family. We froze in Jan and Oct was nearly as hot as Aug the year we were there. Sure, August is hot but it was really fun as long as we were careful. There is a lot at WDW you can do in AC. Also, the nightime extra magic hours really helped. We had the opportunity to stay in the parks until midnight or 2:00 a.m. some nights and slept in during the mornings to avoid the heat. Scheduling TS meals at lunch makes a good respite from the mid-day heat. The one thing I don't like about summer though, is waiting for busses at the AS resorts because the waiting area isn't covered. I think it would be ideal to visit WDW in 75 degree weather but if you can't it will still be fun!

I'm going on my 3rd year in a row going in August, well 2 were end of July first week of August. This week we'll be going 2nd week of August!! the first time I went in August was 10 years ago, had a 2 year old, 1 year old and was 7 months pregnant and I said NEVER again! never only lasted 10 years!! :)

Our first trip was in August and we loved it. We planned ahead and bought some of these gel neck cooler things from a website called something like The Crafty Wench and they worked great. You soak them in water before heading out and keep them in plastic bags until you're needing to put one on. They cool you right down in no time flat!

Sorry to say, the best thing about going in August is going back home. It is hot, unbelievable humid and crowded.

Ummmm.... it's cooler than the surface of the sun?

Honestly, I HATE the heat and have been in August (would never do it again voluntarily). I've decided I can take EITHER heat OR crowds but not both at once. I grew up in humid climates (Florida and Missouri) but now that I live out West I am totally spoiled. Yes, it gets hot here but it's nothing like the summers I remember as a kid!

That said, if you can stand the weather, plan your days to take a break and get out of the heat at the worst point and try to avoid the crowds it's an affordable time of year to go. You have no control over either, so just plan for the people and the heat and have a great time!

While August poses several negatives that have been posted - yes, it is HOT!!!- and the evening hours are cut the last two weeks (because the crowds are low)- but we like to end our summer with a trip to WDW (I keep DNeph and DGrD all summer and it gives us all something 'different' to look forward to).

Here's what we LIKE about end of Aug (besides the relatively low crowds, of course): ALL THE BRITS that visit at that time of year - they are (IMHO) the easiest and most polite visitors to share the parks (and heat!) with!! They are just delightful!

We always use early EMH, cut out of the park for lunch and the pool in the afternoon, then head back in for the evening, concentrating on air conditioned attractions - Aug can be a fun trip if you don't need to go commando.:thumbsup2

There are several good reasons to go to WDW in August besides the obvious one - it's the only time you can go:

No, it's not the only time we can go. It's a convenient time to go and we have flexibility in our flying dates that we usually don't have during the school year. The 40% off coupon will allow us to stay in a deluxe for the first time (we've done values and a mod before). We wouldn't consider it and would have been at the beach if that coupon hadn't arrived.;)

Thanks to those of you who responded to my queries with helpful answers.:) I am especially interested in attendance. I know many schools in the south go back in session at the beginning of August. Around here, the athletes of fall sports begin practice in early August. We are looking at dates starting 8/10-12 and having to return, at the latest, on 8/20.

Yes, I KNOW it's hot in Florida in the summer. We visit my sister in Jacksonville each summer and, heck, living in VA we get to experience all kinds of code red and orange days with the summer heat here.

We started going in August a few years ago as my DD was starting high school and couldn't miss school. We used to go in the fall or February, so it was a big change. Some of the things we liked about August over the cooler times:

1. Able to take advantage of the resort pools without freezing.
2. Finally got to the water parks.
3. Not many ride closures - everything is up and running.
4. Longer park hours.
5. Enjoyed the water rides such as Kali in AK.

Sure it was hot and more crowded, but we gook afternoon breaks to enjoy the pools and went back to the parks very refreshed in the evenings. One year we were on TOT when it started pouring with a long storm. We got off TOT and there was no line at all. Ran around to the entrance and went back on. We did this 8 times in a row! No wait. We could have gone more, but were getting a little queezy by this time.

So go, take your time, take breaks and enjoy! :thumbsup2

Good things about August...

1. You can take full advantage of the pools!

2. Late August crowds are lighter than other times I've been (April, Mid-late Dec, June)

3. Ice cream tastes so much better when it's hot!

4. You don't have to worry about it getting too cool in the evenings to enjoy certain rides/attractions (like getting wet on Spash or getting mist blown on you at Fantasmic).

5. (Best of all IMHO) You can pack super-light because you only have to plan for one type of weather! :goodvibes On Dec trips, we'd pack everything from t-shirts to sweatshirts to heavy coats (and we used them all!) In the course of one week in Dec, we've seen mid-70's and warm enough to swim one day to highs in the high 40s-50s and low-mid 30's at night. Most nights we had to wear coats, hats and gloves. No worries about that in August!

August was my all-time favorite month for WDW. We went mid-month and the crowds were less than when we were there in May and June. It wasn't as hot either. We may have just been lucky, but August rocks!

We went on our very first trip to Disney the first week of August. We got a deal on the room and airfare, plus we don't like to take our kids out of school. We all had a blast! Yes, it was hotter than the sun, plus it was crowded when we went, but we planned as much as we could for all of that and worked through it. That was the only time we could go and that did motivate us to really appreciate it and make the most out of it. A big positive is that everything is in Full Tilt Boogie; everything buzzing and going on while you are in the middle of the fun. And when you've had it up to there with all that fun, many places are open very late in August, so you can take an afternoon break and rest (we slept for three hours every afternoon!)...then get back to it when you are ready and refreshed.
For us a big positive was having everyone truly relaxed because we were on summer vacation... no one had to rush home/ stress about all there is to do when you get back or make up work at school. We felt like we had all the time in the world.
You will have a great time....prepare for the heat, though... it is intense, especially walking around so much. If you stay at a Deluxe, you can't go wrong with that fabulous pool! Staying at a Deluxe is a huge positive to go in August! Have a great trip!

I have been to Disney in January and November and I am now planning on 08/15-20..Grand Floridian.. for a surprise trip for the kiddies after sleep away camp and before school. When we were there this past November 11/3-10 it was beautiful during the day 75 and sunny...BUT as soon as the sun went down it was freezing! My kids used the pool at the Poly once but I did not..the water was to chilly for me. I am looking forward to actually getting wet on Splash Mountain and not complaining about it. Listen...I have to try and tell myself it is OK...I am sure I will complain about the heat...I would rather put on a sweatshirt at 5:00pm. :wizard:

Regarding the crowds - I wonder how much the crowd levels have changed for late August now that several school districts in southern states have moved their first day to two weeks later (maybe August 18th, as opposed to August 4th)? When I went with my sister and mom in 2006, we went in the middle of August and the crowds were not bad and despite the heat, there are so many shops, rides and shows that are indoors that you never really have to suffer in the heat for too long.

I worked at Disney for a summer in the college program and my family was there in Aug '06. I loved it! Of course it was hot, but we took a mid-day break every day. We stayed at the Poly so it was easy getting back and forth. We went in the mornings and then left by noon to go swim or relax. We would then head back after 4pm-5pm to stay until close. We are going this Dec. just to be there for the holidays once before the kids get to old, but after that, we will stick to going in July or August!:cool2:

you get totally drenched on Splash Mountain, Kali River Rapids and your clothes will dry pretty quickly. The evenings we were out were awesome! Plus Pirate & Princess Parties - awesome!:goodvibes

Yep, it's hot but if I'm not mistaken, it's hot in Virginia also. I rather be hot in WDW.

Water parks. Can't do them when its cold outside. We love them

Park hours. Since the parks are open late. you can go back to your resort during the mid day and still have plenty of time to do a park.

Lighter crowds. I've been the last 8 years and except for 1 year when they offered fee dining, I've never waited more than 30 minutes standby for any thing including soarin'. The last week in August we rode soarin' 3 times, 2X on standby and once with fP.

Another great thing about August is that you have a reason to spend more time shopping - in the air-conditioned stores. :goodvibes

Crowds may have been lighter in late August in the past but if free dining continues to be offered crowds will no longer be light in late August.

We went the last week of August 2007 - the week free dining started and it was quite crowded - I would compare it to spring break crowds.

But with that being said I probably would do it again for the free dining - it was worth it. Of course it's hot but you learn to pace yourselves and drink lots of water.

DO bring a sweatshirt in August even if you don't think you will need it - we got caught in the rain several times and no matter how hot it is - one does get chilled in the A/C.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter