• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me it will be ok...we're going to be "one of them"

You've got to think about what's most important: your mom being able to enjoy herself or a couple of people in a bus line that might want to upset you. Go have a magical trip with your family and don't allow anyone to take that away from you.:thumbsup2

OMG, don't worry and ruin your trip because of what someone else might or might not say. And if someone gives you a dirty look, who cares really ? You'll likely never see them again and they aren't going to matter to you as much as your mother's health is.

If someone is being outright rude, just look at them and smile and say, " I guess you're pretty grateful then that you don't have to be in a position to use one of these". That ought to shut them up pretty good. :thumbsup2

Make your trip magical. You're only there for however many days, then you're home and it's over. Are you really going to let some losers ruin that ? NO!!!! YOU'RE A DIS-ER !!!! :woohoo: I hope your trip is wonderful !

You should give motivational speeches! lol
I know I shouldn't let it bug me, but I am sooo easily affected by that type of thing. I heard someone making fun of me in line during our last trip and it literally put me in the worst mood for a few hours....I was just quiet and couldn't enjoy myself. :sad2:
I tried talking mom into renting a scooter in the parks instead so we wouldn't have the bus issue but the price difference is huge. She's only paying $200 to have it for 11 days, and in the parks it's $50 a day.

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Your mom needs the ECV, you know she needs it, and that's all that matters.

One piece of advice though. If she's not used to using one, have her practice driving it (forwards and backwards) for a little while outside the parks in a wide open area. It takes a bit of practice to get the turning down, and to get used to stopping it (there aren't any brakes - you decelerate instead, by reducing pressure on the handles, and if you just let go, it stops with a major jerking motion). She will need to be concentrating on dodging the other guests in the parks, so being familiar with the machine will make her more comfortable.

Also, if she is used to doing some walking she may not feel comfortable sitting all day. When my mom first started using one at WDW, we would park it at the exit of attractions, and she would walk in, or we would park it outside of shops and she would walk in. This allowed her to get up and "get the blood moving" while offering her the comfort of avoiding the majority of the walking required.

Have a great time on your trip!

Having a scooter is going to make a real positive difference in your trip if someone in your party has a need for it. It is possible that you might encounter some idiot who makes a mean comment or acts out; however, you run that risk even if you don't have a scooter.

Prepare your group in advance :grouphug:, and remind them to be as courteous as possible (yes, there are rude people on scooters too!) Then, be resolved to have the greatest vacation ever. Maybe you can even make a game of it. You know the old drinking game where everyone one takes a shot when they hear a certain word on tv? Well, Mickey ice cream bars all around if you run into someone who says something outrageous about scooter riders! :woohoo: Make the idiots serve your fun, not the other way around.

Again, if you even think you "might" need a scooter...get one. Disney is so much more fun when you are not struggling to put on a brave face over pain.

When we were there recently, as we loaded a bus at Pop there was a heavier woman and her teenaged son trying to board with a scooter. It was a rental and she said as she struggled with steering it that she had never driven one before. Her son ended up having to ride it onto the bus for her because she couldn't quite get it. Well my family and another family had already boarded before she got on, and there were maybe another 15 people waiting to board.

I'm rather confused by this statement - did you board with a scooter, and another family did too, before the third scooter got on? Otherwise, how did you get on the bus before the people in the back? I thought protocol was that the rear doors are opened first to load the wc/scooter area, then the bus driver allows people in the front door. Pop only has the one stop, so I'm trying to figure out how people got on before the bus driver loaded the handicap section.

I'm rather confused by this statement - did you board with a scooter, and another family did too, before the third scooter got on? Otherwise, how did you get on the bus before the people in the back? I thought protocol was that the rear doors are opened first to load the wc/scooter area, then the bus driver allows people in the front door. Pop only has the one stop, so I'm trying to figure out how people got on before the bus driver loaded the handicap section.

The scooter lady rolled up after they had already started boarding...so we had gotten on with two other families and climbed to sit in the top section in the back (there were about a dozen people total that boarded) then she and her son rolled up so they held everyone else up from loading the bus, lowered it and loaded her, etc. Those of us that had already boarded were already there and just remained seated during it.

fla4fun - yes I told her she needs to practice with it! She can scoot around the resort when we check in and try to get use to it. She's one of those passive drivers so I worry less about her running anyone down and more that she will get stuck in a crowd, lol.
And our plan is not to use it the entire time (just like we barely use the stroller). I figure we will park it in whatever area we're in and she can walk through lines and shops and whatever, then when we need to cover distance she'll hop back in. She just wants to have it because she knows as the day goes on she may need it and is afraid of being in a situation where she won't have any option (she's worried they'll sell out in the parks). It will also help with long sits....like waiting for parades and stuff because she can't get up and down from the ground. So at least she has a chair...otherwise she would end up not wanting to watch them (she'll stay on benches waaaay back at parade time if that's all she can find to sit on).

I dont think you will find one person being mean or rude to your mom(age has its benefits!)
I think the problem comes from the people with hidden problems and those who are percieved as being plain lazy..ie you got overweight for a reason..you need the excercise!

We all have our crosses to bear, our good and bad points. The person on the scooter knows whether they need it or not, so ignore any comments. Your mom needs it, it will be best for her vacation, so enjoy!

I think, many folks get frustrated when a scooter gets on the bus without having to wait in line(remember it is about perception,not reality) and then they take up so many spaces and the person really isnt allowed to sit on the scooter on the bus so that adds more salt to the wound

From a Mom who has pushed her *too large for a stroller* son with Autism through the Parks in a stroller and endured MANY looks and sometimes comments from not so nice folks...you need to just say "I don't give a rats butt." You cannot change the way the world views you (trust me, I have tried). After enduring 8+ years of judgemental people, I can tell you the only way to emotionally handle it, is to focus on your loved one that needs you.

The scooter lady rolled up after they had already started boarding...so we had gotten on with two other families and climbed to sit in the top section in the back (there were about a dozen people total that boarded) then she and her son rolled up so they held everyone else up from loading the bus, lowered it and loaded her, etc. Those of us that had already boarded were already there and just remained seated during it.

Thank you for the clarification! I thought that they couldn't drop the ramp in back once the front started loading, but I guess they can. How did the other people react to having been stopped from boarding the bus even though they were there before the family with a scooter? You said they all got on, so I hope they were polite (I know you stated one guy definitely was not!). I shudder to think how it might have turned out if there wasn't room for all the other people!

My MIL has used a scooter on two of our visits, it's the only way she could have gone, she's had double knee replacement surgery. To be honest, the scooter held us back at times. It was hard for her to navigate at times in the heavy crowds. It also created some hilarious moments, she's not that great at driving it, even on her second trip. She scooted right past the CM at the FP entrance to TSM, she ran over a barricade at Soarin' the first year. Each year I have to tell her she can't drink at the FW expo..I'm sure she's aggravated some other tourists, I've never heard anyone say anything and I wouldn't hesitate to call them out on it if they did. Her nickname is now Grandma Scoots...I don't care much what other people think, as long as I believe our behavior is proper, that's all that matters. Now, my neighbors may think we're crazy, our Christmas lights have been up and lit for the last two weeks !!

Something else that will help is practicing at your local grocery or Walmart, I know she may not need the assistance on those types of short trips, but it's good maneuvering practice, both with physical obstacles and with learning to be in tune with the way people move (making it less likely she'll accidentally run into or get run into.)

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Your mom needs the ECV, you know she needs it, and that's all that matters.

One piece of advice though. If she's not used to using one, have her practice driving it (forwards and backwards) for a little while outside the parks in a wide open area. It takes a bit of practice to get the turning down, and to get used to stopping it (there aren't any brakes - you decelerate instead, by reducing pressure on the handles, and if you just let go, it stops with a major jerking motion). She will need to be concentrating on dodging the other guests in the parks, so being familiar with the machine will make her more comfortable.

Also, if she is used to doing some walking she may not feel comfortable sitting all day. When my mom first started using one at WDW, we would park it at the exit of attractions, and she would walk in, or we would park it outside of shops and she would walk in. This allowed her to get up and "get the blood moving" while offering her the comfort of avoiding the majority of the walking required.

Have a great time on your trip!

She's one of those passive drivers so I worry less about her running anyone down and more that she will get stuck in a crowd, lol.

The issue won't be with your mom's driving. It's the fact that she will be virtually invisible to most of the people walking around her. My mom couldn't get over how people would start to cross her path and just stop right in front of her, like they wanted to be hit. She couldn't go around them because no matter which way she would decide to go, that's the direction they would head, so she would just wait until they made up their mind, and then move on. She spent as much time watching out for the other guests as she did admiring the scenery. But since I made her practice first, at least she knew how to operate the machine instinctively, so she didn't have to think "how do I stop this thing?" she just did it. It really makes a difference.

As far as crowds go, be careful if you are anywhere that has curbs and there are crowds. I've read a couple threads about ECV's getting too close to the edge of a curb in a heavy crowd and tipping off the curb (I believe both were on Main Street at the end of the day). Maybe have part of your party walking on the curb side of the ECV to keep it on track in that kind of situation, or stay in the street in the big crowds (which is what we did).

Disregard the jerk, and don't be one yourself. That's really all you can do.

That and get your mother to get in some practice around the resort before trying to navigate the parks or the busses. Driver's Ed, so to speak.

I don't know that you will get dirty looks, but even if people were busy trying to give you dirty looks, why would you see them? I'm thinking the only way would be to look for them.

I swear, everyone in the MK could be giving me dirty looks and I'd never know. I'm looking at Disney stuff or talking to people I'm with.

I pay no attention to the way other people may or may not be looking at me.

I suggest the same for you. :)

People who spend their time and energy worrying about stupid crap like other people using chairs are not people whose opinion I'd care much about, anyway.

I would never be ugly to a a person that needs a scooter. I think that is just ignorant and mean. . .

We went to Epcot last May and there was a group of college age kids (about 20-25) all in hot pink shirts (all looked like they were from the Jersey Shore) riding in scooters . . most seemed kind of drunk. they were rude and disrespectful and almost ran over some of the ducks at epcot. I gave them LOTS of bad looks. But I think it's wrong to abuse the system and act like a jerk.

Thank you for starting this thread. I have been struggling with the idea of using a wheelchair or scooter while I am there. I broke my foot in August and am still dealing with a lot of swelling and some pain. I also can't walk very fast. My Dr. gave me to ok to go on our trip in December, saying "remember you can always rent a wheelchair or scooter". I have been nervous about using either of those options worrying about what other people would think. After reading all these posts, I am starting to feel better about the idea. I think it would be a much better experience for my daughters too, not always having to stop and wait for mom to catch up.

You'll be just fine. We're going to be scooter people on our trip next week.

I'm making my dad a license-plate looking sign for his scooter that says "Cancer can't slow me down"

I agree with this. A simple sign is worth a thousand insults thrown to you. I would make something explaining your mother's foot problems, complete with lots of medical jargon to confuse the idiots. Go to webmd and copy down all the details. Then post this on the back of the scooter and just go.

But I can you I had to tour with my very healthy looking husband in a wheelchair. He was in his early 40s at the time but had just been diagnosed with gout. He's not overweight, he didn't have grey hair at the time, but his ankle was the size of a football but was hidden by his pants. We left for Disney World the day after his doctor visit. No one said a thing to us.

If going a bit slower or having a scooter around gets you down, step back, look around realize you are in a Disney park and nothing else will matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter