Tell me I'll survive Splash Mountain!

Honestly, Splash is like nothing to me but I love thrill rides. I really think you'll be okay! It is a BLAST!!

You'll definitely survive splash! It's one of the easiest rides to do! It was the first big thrill ride I did and it's now my absolute favorite! The drop is nothing!

You'll survive. You may get wet, but speaking from personal experience, you probably won't even get wet. (I seem to get more wet on the beginning of the ride (when you go around brier patch) than on the actual drop.)

My upper eighty-something year old grandparents rode Splash Mountain when they went a couple of weeks ago. Anyone who goes to Disney and doesn't ride Splash (at least once) is missing out. It's easily one of the most remarkable rides ever created. There really isn't anything else like it...

You'll be fine! My terrified DBF did it and came out like a pro. But the kicker? I was the one who convinced him to ride with all of us, as I was very scared too (the only Disney ride besides EE that I've never done). When it comes time to man up, I walk into the log...and keep on walking out the other side to the chicken exit! He was brave enough to stay behind, and loved every minute of it.

Maybe next year for me!

I'm a big ride chicken and I did Splash Mountain with no problem - although I keep my eyes closed for the drop each time.

You will be fine. I don't like the drop - hate all drops. But the rest of the ride is fun, relaxing and cute - totally worth the few seconds down the hill. And I love that they added lap bars - makes me feel more secure. I had fun with DD5 last time making different faces each time down the hill - she thought it was fun and it helped me think of something other than the drop...

Because some kids are thrill seekers and aren't always afraid. It's not that bad, really. It is a great ride and I would hate if they took that drop out and I'm sure plenty of other people would too. There are so many tame and slow family or kid friendly rides at disney already. They need something with a touch of a thrill for the families that want that. It's nice disney has something for everyone.

One of my kids used to cry at Bush Gardens because she could NOT ride the big rides, she wasn't tall enough. Some kids, even young kids love that stuff. Splash is fun for her but it's not fast enough :rotfl: I've got another one that cries if you even mention the thrill rides. Everyone is different and it would not be fun if disney had all the same type of rides and they had nothing fun and exciting.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Believe me, Disney has PLENTY of non thrill rides like you said. They are lacking rides with ANY kind of bite to them......and not that I think that this ride is "high thrill" at least it is not as slow and kiddie friendly as all the other rides at Disney.

They need more rides for the daring and thrill seeking people who actually want to have fun............

You’ll be fine. Just a few things to remember…

• Inspect the bottom of the boats for snakes prior to embarking - the little ones are the most venomous and they’re so small that it’s hard to see them.
• Press that lap-bar as tight as it can get and then press even harder. Before the lap-bar, folks were violently and routinely being launched right out of the boat!
• Keep your head low as sometimes malfunctioning whirling animatronics can decapitate. This is what claimed the guy in 2000.
• Don’t get wet! The water has been known to carry dangerous bacteria. I think this is what got the twins in 2006.
• Related to not getting wet, don’t put your hands (or feet or any part of you) out of the boat. Brer Piranha lives in that water and has been known to leap and take a bite out of body parts that are hovering over the water unprotected.
• If an order to disembark and evacuate comes over the loud speaker, do it immediately and follow the exit signs quickly. The place is prone to flash fires caused by friction overheat of the malfunctioning animatronics mentioned earlier.
• If you smell gas, hold your breath as long as you can. Brer Dragon, since removed, had a acetylene-based fire-breathing simulation that was never quite capped properly. Don’t try to sneak a smoke either as you may be the cause of a flash fire mentioned earlier.

With these precautions in mind, just relax and you’ll be fine!

PS – Actually, think of Splash Mountain ride as It’s a Small World with the addition of a few mild changes in elevation.

rootbeerkid said:

• Inspect the bottom of the boats for snakes prior to embarking - the little ones are the most venomous and they’re so small that it’s hard to see them.
• Press that lap-bar as tight as it can get and then press even harder. Before the lap-bar, folks were violently and routinely being launched right out of the boat!
• Keep your head low as sometimes malfunctioning whirling animatronics can decapitate. This is what claimed the guy in 2000.
• Don’t get wet! The water has been known to carry dangerous bacteria. I think this is what got the twins in 2006.
• Related to not getting wet, don’t put your hands (or feet or any part of you) out of the boat. Brer Piranha lives in that water and has been known to leap and take a bite out of body parts that are hovering over the water unprotected.
• If an order to disembark and evacuate comes over the loud speaker, do it immediately and follow the exit signs quickly. The place is prone to flash fires caused by friction overheat of the malfunctioning animatronics mentioned earlier.
• If you smell gas, hold your breath as long as you can. Brer Dragon, since removed, had a acetylene-based fire-breathing simulation that was never quite capped properly. Don’t try to sneak a smoke either as you may be the cause of a flash fire mentioned earlier.

PS – Actually, think of Splash Mountain ride as It’s a Small World with the addition of a few mild changes in elevation.

LMAO!!!
But honestly, in 2000 there really was a guy that got out of his boat, fell between the boats and did die from an injury. Certainly can't blame the ride, though.

LMAO!!!
But honestly, in 2000 there really was a guy that got out of his boat, fell between the boats and did die from an injury. Certainly can't blame the ride, though.

Exactly. Stay seated in the boat and you'll be fine.

pilesoflaundry said:
Because some kids are thrill seekers and aren't always afraid. It's not that bad, really. It is a great ride and I would hate if they took that drop out and I'm sure plenty of other people would too. There are so many tame and slow family or kid friendly rides at disney already. They need something with a touch of a thrill for the families that want that. It's nice disney has something for everyone.

One of my kids used to cry at Bush Gardens because she could NOT ride the big rides, she wasn't tall enough. Some kids, even young kids love that stuff. Splash is fun for her but it's not fast enough :rotfl: I've got another one that cries if you even mention the thrill rides. Everyone is different and it would not be fun if disney had all the same type of rides and they had nothing fun and exciting.

I totally get that some people like thrill rides, but all other rides seem to be either thrill or not. And I'm fine with that. I guess it just bothers me that SM is a perfectly nice ride otherwise, just "ruined" by 3 seconds that means we won't go on it. Maybe it's because we're very tall, but we find the drop very uncomfortable. Such a shame as I LOVE water rides! :)

We go to MK a few times a week for the last 10 years since we moved here and I NEVER rode it....last week for the 1st time my boys talked me into it and I love it and at 260lbs I thought i would be to uncomfortable but I was good and cant stop riding.....

OP, i loath and hate any of the intense rides …. so first time I tried SM I was SCARED TO DEATH but I really wanted to try it.

The whole theming is AWESOME.

I can HONESTLY tell you, it is not bad AT ALL.

The DROP at the end is SECONDS …. SECONDS. Close your eyes and before you know it you are down …

IT REALLLLLY IS A FUN FUN FUN RIDE.

You will be FINE!!!! :thumbsup2

Thank you all for the encouraging posts, I'll report back after my trip, that is if I survive lol;)

You will love it! I hate "thrill rides"... well, maybe not hate... but I really, really dislike them. I'm scared of heights, dislike moving really fast, etc.

I had no problems getting onto Splash because it was always a dream of mine to ride... It was the very first ride I went on once I got to MK and I LOVED it! Loved it so much I went on 7 more times.... and went on it a few more times later that day. The inside is wonderful... it's a great ride!

OMIGOSH...I was laughing so hard! That was hilarious! Seriously, though...somebody got out? He must have freaked or something. If my 7 year old can ride it, I figured it couldn't be that bad. She weighed 49 lbs soaking wet and never fell out or threw up or cried or passed out or anything! ENJOY! You only live once!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter