Tell Me I made the right choice!! Changed from ASMU to POR!!

kathy carleton

Mouseketeer
OK!! I am looking to all of my Dis friends to tell me I did the right thing!! Decided to make 3rd trip this year before AP passes expired for Thanksgiving week... was going to stay cheap and have a true budget trip! (have stayed at most of the deluxe resorts and CSR as a mod).... many of you know what a "savings" those AP passes give us! (we just keep squeezing in one more trip!)...

I originally booked ASMU For $49 (great price), but have worried and worried that the value route was not for me... so have been calling trying to get POP (thought i would like it better), but have been told that the holiday week was totally sold out... well, CRO tells me a few minutes ago that she now has POR for $79... I who have a terrible time making up my mind had to decide on the spot, knowing that it was a fluke of nature that anything was coming up for that week..... I know that $230 is not a lot of money difference for a week, but it sure helps towards those meals and Christmas presents.
Tell me I made the right decision by spending that extra couple hundred dollars and why!!! Tell me why I will love POR!!

You will love POR because of its beautiful landscaping, pool slide, hot tub, marina, boat to DTD, sit-down restaurant and lounge, ribs (unless you're vegetarian, try the ribs), extra space in the rooms, etc.

It's my favourite of the resorts we've been to so far.

Kungaloosh!
Morticia.

Take the nice leisurely boat trip from POR to DTD and do some Christmas shopping then come back on the boat, if that doesn't convince you that POR is the best Disney resort outside of a deluxe then you won't be convinced. By the way you may want to request a room that has been renovated already.

You DID make the right decision!! Why?? B/c IMHO POR is far superior to ASM!! Everything from the themeing to the pools and the grounds, to the rooms and the food court. Not that ASM is a bad place. I just prefer POR in every aspect!!

Enjoy your 3rd trip!! :sunny:

You definately made the right choice. IMHO, you could never stay off property at any decent hotel for that price. And the POR is beautiful! I love the moderates. Just bring some pop tarts, a cooler for milk and juice and now you have justified the extra money for the resort! That saves at least $30 for b'fast...and you also get a quick start to the parks.

IMHO, the serenity of POR alone is worth the $$. I have often considered staying at a value and then I read a post about noisy cheerleaders or paper-thin walls or crowded food courts and I say to myself; "Aren't you glad you're going to Port Orleans? No loud school groups, enough room at the 6 pools for everyone and plenty of space for all the buildings to spread out!"

I say you made a great decision and I wish I was going with you.

--Hillpete

PS - We last stayed in rm 2709 and it was dang-near perfect. Have a great trip!!!!!!

I totally understand what you're going through because I did the exact same thing - only I booked the POP then decided I wanted to upgrade so got POFQ (all newly renovated) for $79...after much hemming and hawing (sp?) I kept thinking about the money I would have saved at the POP for $49 - except the POP was no longer available. I called often (actually got a couple of cm's more than once). Finally, I decided to ask what nights were available at the POP and would build on what I could get. The CM I asked to do this was somehow able to begin at the end, find 2 nights, then 2 nights, then one night and another night until she had all 6 for the $49! I was thrilled..within hours I wondered if I'd made the right choice (like you I do things without thinking it out first)..kept thnking POFQ would have been so pretty and quiet..but now I've requested a Lake view at POP and will be fine.

Long story to say that I would not stay at All Stars no matter what. I like the mods and deluxes, but did stay at POP once and with a lake view, 50's section it was fine. You might keep trying for the POP and build it day by day, if possible.

I understand your dilemna, but you'll be much happier at POR than AS!
As others have stated - POR is pretty, has the boat etc. I'd only go for the $ savings if you can get POP.

Have a magical trip!!

Let me know how it goes. We also changed our reservation from Pop to POR. We can't wait!!:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

BaciBecky, you said in another thread that you're going the same time we are. The last couple nights of our trip we're staying at Pop (12/12-14). I'll make sure that we're on the lookout for you. I also requested a lake view room so it will hopefully be a little quieter than our Foosball room that we had in February.

The other nights are at POR (1st time) and then an offsite timeshare (can't beat the price...free).

T&B

Tigger&Belle ~

I hope it won't be too much of a let down to go from POR to POP!
Don't have anything Lime green, but hope we run into one another :)
Have you stayed at POP before?

I think you made the right choice. We are having the same problem about budget and trying to squeeze the most out of our AP's. I have stayed at PO riverside and loved it . Have a great trip.

keep up the encouragement! I was so determined to stay at a value resort! But when cm said she had POR, I just grabbed it . I feel bad that I got out of my original plan to stay as cheap as possible (after all, is our 3rd trip this year, and in the fall, don't use the pool). But i kept reading reports on these boards about how noisy the all stars were........ Should i just stay with POR and know it is the right choice, or keep trying for POP? is there that much difference in All stars and Pop?? I told my husb. that i wanted to be a girl who "took it as it comes, and likes Motel 6" and he said we did not have enough time to work through that concept!!! (I admit I am a princess in wants, just not budget!)...

what do you think? I requested AB building 14 or 15.........

Not all of the AB buildings have been renovated and they are in need now, so you might want to take that into consideration in your location request. It sounds like you really want to stay at POR so go for it!

If you'll feel better to keep trying for POP you can do that too -then if you don't get it you'll feel fine when you check into POR :)

As far as noise, honestly, I had absolutely no noise at POP and we had an Illuminations view! As people of the POP faqs thread have said, it does depend on locations there - 1st fl is not good or preferred location as it is near the main pool. But much of 50's and 70's have lake views and very quiet. Very short walk to the bus and food court. But it is not a pretty resort - by the lake maybe - so if you really want POR just keep that reservation and enjoy!!! :) :)

Originally posted by BaciBecky
Tigger&Belle ~

I hope it won't be too much of a let down to go from POR to POP!
Don't have anything Lime green, but hope we run into one another :)
Have you stayed at POP before?

We've stayed at all classes of resorts and I never been disappointed by any of them. I usually like to stay at the lower class resort first and then hop to a nicer resort, but it's not turning out that way this time.

I'll be back to Pop in January with one of my other sons and then on to POFQ (I love resort hopping!).

We (me with my 4yo and my sister) stayed at Pop in February. For the $ we liked it a lot. The key is expecting a value resort, not a moderate or deluxe. We have an AP rate and I can't beat $49/night.

You at least need lime green ribbons!

T&B

Some of us enjoy doing that - planning and then second-guessing ourselves. You'll be just fine at POR - consider yourself lucky that they had an AP rate available for your!

Put your reservation aside and out of your mind - and find something else to stress about - - - -like which PS to make!!

We are staying at POR 25th thru 12/1 (have previously stayed at POFQ and Fort Wilderness in camper). This will be such a treat for us!!

Enjoy your trip.

Originally posted by Tigger&Belle
The key is expecting a value resort, not a moderate or deluxe. We have an AP rate and I can't beat $49/night.
You at least need lime green ribbons!T&B

I agree completely!! That IS the secret and the way not to feel elt down. I enjoyed the POP - just had to get in the right mind frame. This time I am looking forward to my stay (and sharing it with a friend I paid $164 for 6 nights - who can complain!!!).

It'll be busy days with so much going on...but I will take time to walk around the lake.

Okay, I'll see if I can find lime green ribbon and pin it on my coat -will that work?? :) :) OH!! I just remembered - I have a DIS pin they sent me!! Would that be too much of a statement?? I'm kind of shy ;)

:wave:

Originally posted by BaciBecky

Okay, I'll see if I can find lime green ribbon and pin it on my coat -will that work?? :) :) OH!! I just remembered - I have a DIS pin they sent me!! Would that be too much of a statement?? I'm kind of shy ;)

:wave:

There's no place for shyness on the DIS! I did have a bit of shyness and didn't meet a fellow DISer in Feb (Hi Catherines_Mama :wave2: ) when I thought I saw some lime green walk by one morning. Decided never to make that mistake again! Of course I might make a fool out of myself asking people if they are DISers, but that's ok. What better place to be a fool??? :teeth:

T&B

Okat, T&B - I'll be looking for Lime green esp. from the 12-14 at the POP and will say hello -of course, you'll have your hat too, yes? :) Now I should be able to recgonze the two together!!

I think I might wear a lime ribbon..don;t know if I can go as far as the DIS pin! :o

See ya there!!!::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter