Tell me everything i need to know for the Princess Half Marathon

When not training for a marathon or half I usually run 4-5 days a week. One long run of about 8 miles, one about 5 miles and the other 2 or 3 3-4 miles. This is what works for me to keep me in decent shape and injury free. (Knock on wood!!) When training for a long distance race I only run 4 days and increase my long run each week, and do 4-5 the other runs. So far no injuries but I try to really listen to my body and take it easy when necessary.

Last year, I was starving for info as I planned for the PHM and I loved blogs about it - so I started one with my BRF about our race to the castle! It might help you. It also recaps everything we did over the race weekend outside the half-marathon - Meet-Up, Princess Breakfast, Race Retreat, ChEAR Squad, Kids Races. Yes, we were busy :) And it was 100% awesome!

Already working on my costume for next year ;)

Princess Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun

Don't over train or try to make up for lost time. I started to crash train for the WDW marathon. I went from doing 10 miles a week to 30 miles a week and ended up with four different injuries. I'm still injured and haven't run since the marathon. I finished, but I learned my lesson. If life gets in the way of your training plan, don't over do it. Come here for advice!

I also suggest practicing fueling and what to wear. It's so important to find what works the best for you so you can limit your stress on race day. The unavoidable can happen, but if you limit all of the factors you can, you will be more prepared. See what kinds electrolyte drinks you like, what kinds of pre-race and during race food. There are so many different things out there...sport beans, chews, gels, gu, etc, and you want to find out what works best for you and if you want to rely on what Disney will offer or if you should bring your own!

The Princess was my first half marathon and I loved everything about the weekend. Make sure you get lost in the moment and enjoy it! I trained three days a week with Jeff Galloway's program. It worked with my busy work schedule, I never felt overwhelmed and didn't over train. I also did not get injured through his plan!

Another question...:surfweb: If I just started training, when should I sign up for my first 5k? There is a race at the end of May that I was looking at....too late? too soon?

Thanks for your patience... :goodvibes I'm really starting from scratch and this is all so new to me!

Another question...:surfweb: If I just started training, when should I sign up for my first 5k? There is a race at the end of May that I was looking at....too late? too soon?

Thanks for your patience... :goodvibes I'm really starting from scratch and this is all so new to me!

If you just started running I'd guess the end of May would be fine. If you can run almost 3 miles now (however you plan to do the 5K whether it's a run walk or all running) go for it. It's fun to get out with local people running. I don't run in a club so local 5K's are fun for seeing other runners out there.

To the OP, I try not to get into town the day before the race. Florida weather is very different than the weather here in Indiana so I like to give myself a day or 2 to try to get used to it. We usually arrive on Thursday and leave the Thursday after. It works for me- I run most of the winter indoors, because I'm a weather wuss! Cold, Snow and lots of wind in these parts so the Y track works for me (even though it's really small.) I run 3 days a week all year round and just change my weekend runs to long runs when training for a race.

jodipaige2004 said:
Last year, I was starving for info as I planned for the PHM and I loved blogs about it - so I started one with my BRF about our race to the castle! It might help you. It also recaps everything we did over the race weekend outside the half-marathon - Meet-Up, Princess Breakfast, Race Retreat, ChEAR Squad, Kids Races. Yes, we were busy :) And it was 100% awesome!

Already working on my costume for next year ;)

Princess Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun

I read your report on the other thread! It was fantastic!

I looked at a couch to 5k program which is around 10 weeks, so I think May would fit in well!

I agree with the previous posters on the May date. And that should help you work on what you need to do for the next event you sign up for.

About arriving early for the PHM, I like to fly in at least 2 nights before to account for flight delays due to weather or what ever. My thought is I have put in the time training and expense of trip so one more nights expenses is worth it to me.

I agree with the best advice being train, train, train. But also, enjoy the not only the moment but the entire experience. I had a great time going down there, met some great people from the boards, and can't wait to do it all again. I did the John Bingham program if thats any help. It is similar to the Galloway method but I just liked it better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter