Tell me did I make the right resort choice?

dlrhine

<font color=teal>DIS Veteran who was away for a wh
We are going to WDW Sept. 18th-25th and were trying to decide between POFQ and CR. Right now our reservation is for POFQ but I'm hoping I don't regret it. There are Pros and Cons to both and I can't make up my mind. We have two DDs one is going to be 3.5 when we go and the other 2 years 3 months old. Here is the hard part, POFQ has a kiddie pool and a slide that the 3 year old can handle in a life vest, it is a small resort, food court for the picky eaters, and the boat to downtown disney. CR on the other hand is close to MK walking distance, has a monorail to Epcot (yes I know you have to change at TTC), Chef Mickey's, and bigger rooms. Ugh hard decision. I did ask my 3 year old what was more important to her, the monorail and being closer to MK or the slide and kiddie pool she picked the slide and kiddie pool. I have been to both of these resorts before but now I'm torn in what to do. Any advice?
Thanks
Diane

Go with what the kids want! You can always spend the money you save on some fun character meals.

Marie

Hi! Just wanted to say DH & I just stayed at POFQ a couple of weeks ago. It is absolutley beautiful, and so peaceful! The renovations in the rooms are really lovely. It won't be quite as convenient to get to the Magic Kingdom, but you will have to deal with busses either way. I don't think you will regret it. It will be a nice place to relax with the kids. Plan ahead a little for travel time and I think you will be fine. When we were there they were sharing busses with POR, but I don't know how often they do that.

My kids also picked that resort, it was our first non-FW stay. They still love it there. They have a nice playground area near the pool, too.

Good luck...and have a pleasant trip.
Lori

I don't think a 3year old is the best decision maker . I laughed when I read this post because I have done the same thing many times in the past. The reality is they can only make a decision from a three year olds perspective. What would be best for you? The Contemporary is on the monorail and this is so convenient and fun to ride. Going to Chef Mickey's would be a snap and the kids would love that too. You could also go to more restaurants on the monorail. I am sure they would love an early Cinderella breakfast.The Poly might be a place you would like to have dinner ( Ohana's).I would always go with a deluxe over a moderate if price isn't an object. It will give you more space in the room too. On the other hand POFQ seems nice and more relaxing. I would spend more time looking at the resorts and gathering information before I decide. Good luck. The children will love anything you chose. I would wait to show them pictures until you have chosen a spot. :teeth:

Another choice would be the Poly. The kids would even have a nice pool and a beach to play on......and it is on the monorail! Or stay at the Beach Club which is fantastic for all concerned. It has the best pool in Disney and a beach to play on and so close to Epcot and MGM. Just more thoughts to totally confuse you:)

I stayed at POFQ when my 1st was 2.5 yrs old and we had a very nice stay there. The hotel is small - not much walking to get to the pool or food court or busses. And you can share the pool and food court options with the POR (although we never walked over there).

I've never stayed at the CR but it is right there at the MK - a stroll away. The Poly appeals to me more at the moment but all those resorts seems nice for proximity to the MK.

We stayed at the AKL last August when DS #2 was 20 months old - and not yet able to walk (he has some mobility issues) and that was a great choice as well. The AKL doesn't share busses with other resorts and they have a zero entry pool so all of us could swim and play in the same pool. The have a kiddie pool too. And of course you have the animals - the AKL is just gorgeous....

If money is an issue the POFQ represents a substantial savings over the CR. The POFQ is also an excellent resort for young children and appealing to the parents as well. Have fun!

most kids remember the pool better than the parks until they are around 10....

so I would definitely go with POFQ - the kids will love that pool and you can relax and enjoy them in the pool.

yes it is not that convience to the parks - but the bus service is fine.

Sept is still hot enough that the good pool (especially for the children) is a must.

Teenagers generally find the POFQ to be boring - so they run off to the POR - so less splashing - of course the lifeguards don't seem to allow that in the first place!!!

you are sister resorts with POR - so you share their restuarant -- POFQ has a food court. the meals are cheaper in a food court than a restuarant and believe me you will appreciate it!

the Cont is a lovely resort. It is my mother's favorite. the pools leaves a whole lot to desired.

I would agree with Selket go with the Polyn.

Also look at WL - it has a very nice pool (not great) but very popular with the kids - and it is generally cheaper than the monrail resorts - but close enough to them that I didn't find transportation a problem (this is my opinion - your could vary greatly) - alot of people got upset that the bus sometimes went through FW before leaving - but I like to look at all the stuff in the campground.....

Thank you for all the information so far. Cost isn't an issue more just what the kids will enjoy. I did stay at the Poly this past Dec. but it was too chilly to swim except for one day. That slide is to wild for my little ones and they tend to wander out to water over their head, they really need a kiddie pool. I know I'm crazy letting it up to them but I really want it to be their vacation. We have annual passes and go 3 times a year, I just want this to be great for the girls. Thanks again for your help.

I didn't think a child could use the slide unless they knew how to swim. Is that the case?

I personally don't like the pool at the Contemporary. They rest of the resort is great, but the pool is only so-so. I would probably recommend that you stay at POFQ if the pool is important to you :). The other advantage to POFQ is the food court which has a greater variety than the Contemporary's snack shop.

Originally posted by denman007
I didn't think a child could use the slide unless they knew how to swim. Is that the case?

Most (not all) resorts allow children with life vests or swimmies to go down the pool slide.

You may also want to check out the Beach Club if you haven't already or the Boardwalk. They both have great pools for little kids. Stormalong has a sand bottom which the kids love and the Boardwalk has a clown pool. The kiddie pool has squirting elephants ( if I remember correctly)The boat rides are fun for them( to and from Epcot and MGM) and you would be close to MGM and Epcot. Although the younger children like MK they will also love the other parks too if you do it right and mom and dad will be happy too. The buses run very efficiently to the MK.We are also doing the multiple vacations a year. My son was the age of your older daughter when we first came to Disney and he loved the Epcot hotels. Whatever your decision is, enjoy!:):bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

We LOVE POFQ. :teeth: I don't think you'll regret staying there! Kids can use the slide even if they can't swim, they can just wear a vest and a parent can send them down or "catch" them at the bottom. My ds rode down it on my dh's lap last year, but I've been told (on this board) that this is a no-no! :eek:

We just got backfrom POFQ with my 4yr old dd and my 8 mo old son. They loved the pool, but we weren't thrilled with the resort.
We had a bad check-in, the room was quite dusty and there were 3 old gum wrappers under the bed skirt.(I didn't notice those until we were leaving and I was doing the final check of the room.)
Also we had to wait a half hour on numerous occasions for a bus.
We will probably not stay here again.
I'd go with CR if money is not an issue

I think that a 3 year old would appreciate the atmosphere of the CR better than POFQ.

I'm making the same decision. I have reservations at POFQ in two weeks, and am taking my two children, age 5 and 4. Wife is staying home to work.

I've stayed at POFQ years ago, and think my son will love the pool, and that's why we're staying there. It is very quiet, and there is less to distract the children.

Personally, I'd rather stay at the Contemporary, where you can just walk to and from the park, but I think my kids will like POFQ better, or just as much, and I'll save some money.

Hi, dlrhine! We're trying the POFQ for the 1st time this fall. We were torn between a deluxe and a moderate also! The kids picked the POFQ & the CBR....I told them we could stay at GF and they still wanted the mods. More money in my pocket!

We're from Harrisburg area too! Hello from Camp Hill! IASM!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter