Tell me at MK evening EMH - are the crowds really bad?

ttfn3

DIS Veteran
I am considering adding evening EMH at MK to our agenda for the end of October. However, I'm not sure if it would be a bust due to the crowds. I wasn't impressed with MGM evening EMH in March. Too many people and not enuf open. We wouldn't be interested in Fantasyland - but I sure would like to ride BTMRR and Splash after dark!

Evening EMH at MK is crouded from right after Wishes until about the last hour. The last hour is really the time to go. The rides stay open (usually) after the posted closing time and the lines are 20 minutes or less. We did Splash Mountain at about 12:30 (park closed at 1) about 5 times in a row with no wait at all.

We were there in August and were planning on doing EMH on Sunday at MK, even though everyone told us we would regret it.

We got very lucky! It rained late in the afternoon and we practically had MK to ourselves. We didn't even get there until 9:30pm and we able to do: POC, Watch Wishes, Haunted Mansion, Philhamagic, Wedway and Buzz, plus do some people watching all by 1am.

So, if it rains during the late afternoon/early evening, I would say EMH at MK are worth it.

We thought the evening EMHs, especially at MK, were more crowded than regular hours the whole time we were there a couple of weeks ago. I think eveyone heads over since the other parks close so early this time of year.

Disney did seem to be trying to make it better. For example, PoC had both lines open when they only had one side during the day but the waits were about the same.

We have shied away from MK evening EMHs in the past, but we are going to do the one on Sunday 10/29. That is the last day of our trip, and our second full day at MK, so we'll just stay and see what happens. By that time we will have done it all, so we'll just enjoy whatever magic pops up that night.

It didn't work well for us, but it was Labor Day weekend. We were there August 28-Labor Day. It seemed so crowded after 10:00 park close the day before Labor Day (EMH day), and the lines for the rides were even longer than they were during the week (park employees told us Monday-Friday crowds that week were very low, so we were used to smaller lines). To make matters worse, Splash Mountain, our favorite ride, had broken down that night. The lines at 11:30 were still bad, and we just couldn't hold out anymore after being on the go all day. You aren't going to be there on a holiday weekend, though, so it probably won't be so bad.

I tend to stay away from the EMH's. They seem an attractant for crowds and I prefer less crowds. With an itinerary built around EMH, going where they were and where they are going to be, not where they are, lets me have super park time, low crowds and not having to get there first thing in the AM or stay there till late at night. Works for me.

I agree completely with Dan! We'll be going during Spring Break, and I find the EMH nights at the MK get too busy, along with the fact that I like to get to bed by eleven! We gave it a try two years ago during Spring Break, but we ended up heading back to the hotel. :blush: (I know, I'm like a little old lady!)

PM EMH's are a mixed bag. I've been when they were PACKED... but on other nights (sometimes within the same trip), the crowds were basically so low that it was like "free rides" on all the open attractions.

Those who have attended PM EMH's and say that "they are TOO CROWDED" are right... but ONLY for the nights they may have attended.
I can say, from personal experience, that they CAN be EMPTY, or FULL or somewhere IN-BETWEEN for attendance, often within the same week.

It can change so much (either way), that saying it was "like X" on a given night, can be meaningless on another night in the same time-period. So, you simply don't KNOW unless you go. Its similar to saying that you attended on a given night and it rained, so guests should never go on that night because it will probably be rainy.

And, considering EMH's are FREE to attend... if its busy, just people-watch or hit the exit (where ELSE are ya gonna go at 10pm, anyway?)
But if its not busy... you're ALL SET for EXTRA FUN!

dizneycc said:
We were there in August and were planning on doing EMH on Sunday at MK, even though everyone told us we would regret it.

We got very lucky! It rained late in the afternoon and we practically had MK to ourselves. We didn't even get there until 9:30pm and we able to do: POC, Watch Wishes, Haunted Mansion, Philhamagic, Wedway and Buzz, plus do some people watching all by 1am.

So, if it rains during the late afternoon/early evening, I would say EMH at MK are worth it.

This same thing happened for DD. We were there in July last year when a massive thunderstorm hit WDW. The bad weather lasted well into the evening. DD went to the MK EMH with friends who were also at Disney that week and they had a blast! She said there were no lines anywhere, for anything! I believe EMH was from 12-3 AM that night (morning?).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter