• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me all I need to know and your best tips!

TamaraH

Mouseketeer
So we are planning our DLR stay for the first week of October. DH and I are both OC and Disneyland natives (LOL) but now live in AZ and so much has changed. We never stayed at the resort because we lived so close. Now we are staying with our two kids at the GCH. What all do I need to know to get the most out of our stay (3 days in the parks)? I thought I read the PTN parade is only until September. Is that correct?

I can't answer that question, but I can tell you DL will be decorated for Halloween. There will be at least 1 Halloween party, if not more during the time you will be at the parks. Check out the Halloweentime superthread, which has tons of info about the Halloween season. I can tell you the Mickey's Halloween Party is worth the money to go to. Everyone dresses up, including adults, with alot of trick or treating, and it's a really fun event to go to.

I can't answer that question, but I can tell you DL will be decorated for Halloween. There will be at least 1 Halloween party, if not more during the time you will be at the parks. Check out the Halloweentime superthread, which has tons of info about the Halloween season. I can tell you the Mickey's Halloween Party is worth the money to go to. Everyone dresses up, including adults, with alot of trick or treating, and it's a really fun event to go to.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. We've never been to the party but we have participated in that on the cruise. Thanks for the reminder.

So we are planning our DLR stay for the first week of October...
Gay Days is the first weekend of October, with some of the lowest onsite hotel rates.

...I thought I read the PTN parade is only until September.
The 60th celebration will end in September, so decorations will change and perhaps different Fireworks and World of Color. Paint the Night was introduced as part of the 60th celebration, but will likely continue. (I expect PTN will continue for many years)

I agree with Nonsuch that while the Celebration is official ending on September 5, it's very likely that the Parade (PtN), fireworks (Disneyland Forever), and WoC (Celebrate) will continue to be presented well into the future (consider that the current parades - Soundsational and Pixar Play Parade - have been running for years). I think there is a good chance that the fireworks will go back to a weekends only schedule; I don't know about PtN. I would guess the end of the Celebration means the specialty foods, souvenirs, and souvie items will be discontinued. The decorations will also probably come down. I'm curious to see if the street entertainment (e.g., Dapper Dans, Fove and Dime) will go back to the pre-60th songs/costumes or will they continue with the 60th set list or will they do something new.

October is a fun time to visit the parks, but it's not really a quiet time in the parks. As mentioned HalloweenTime is very popular. The Haunted Mansion and Space Mtn both get seasonal overlays, there are seasonal foods, and some decorations (mostly in DL). There is also MHP, which is a lot of fun (side note: we don't yet know if DLR will still be enforcing the no costumes on adults rule even during MHP; the initial information indicated the ban included special events, but folks are hopeful that will change). There is a special fireworks show during MHP and usually a Halloween Calvalcade (mini-parade); last year they presented PtN, but hopefully this year they'll bring back the Calvacade.

As noted, Gay Days is from 9/30 to 10/2; it is the largest unofficial event at DLR, so expect high crowds. Like any time of the year, I would recommend getting to the parks at rope drop and taking advantage of unusually lower crowds for the first few hours in the day. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend downloading the official Disneyland app (it has wait times, FP return times, character schedules, etc.).

Because the DCA entrance is actually very small (there are only two, maybe three, ticket turnstiles at that entrance) and can back-up significantly. The maingate has more ticket turnstiles (and more security lines).

Because the DCA entrance is actually very small (there are only two, maybe three, ticket turnstiles at that entrance) and can back-up significantly. The maingate has more ticket turnstiles (and more security lines).
Ohhhh, okay. I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Ohhhh, okay. I didn't think of that. Thanks!

That really only applies for the first hour that DCA is open, though. So, for example, if you REALLY want to be 1 of the first ones on Radiator Springs Racers, go to the regular DCA main gate...NOT the GCH entrance to the park.

I agree with Nonsuch that while the Celebration is official ending on September 5, it's very likely that the Parade (PtN), fireworks (Disneyland Forever), and WoC (Celebrate) will continue to be presented well into the future (consider that the current parades - Soundsational and Pixar Play Parade - have been running for years). I think there is a good chance that the fireworks will go back to a weekends only schedule; I don't know about PtN. I would guess the end of the Celebration means the specialty foods, souvenirs, and souvie items will be discontinued. ...
So, I thought I heard that the nighttime shows were continuing thru out the week these days, not only weekends, but not sure if that was just rumors or what. So is that the case now while the celebration is on now? Particularly interested in Fireworks show and PTN. Wdw vets, we are going in May 7 - 14 for our first visit.. If the nighttime shows were being shown all nights that would sure make a difference in planning our days/nights, lol, as we finally get down to trying to figure things out.

Also, can you share some of the souvenir items that are being offered specific to the 60th celebration? I know I saw some pics of the balloon popcorn buckets, are those still available these days? That would be pretty cool!

TIA for anything you can share!

Thanks for starting this thread. It prompted me to look at PtN video- LOVED it! :jester:
:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter