• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell Me About Your Stay at GF

songbert

Mouseketeer
I'm SO excited - DH has agreed that GF would be a great place to celebrate our 5th Anniversary next year. Our actual anniversary is in November, but we're going the first week of December so that we can see the Christmas decorations.
Staying at GF is like a dream come true!! (even with a Garden View - after all, we do need money for food, too!!)
Please tell me about your favorite building and details we don't want to miss.

Thanks!!

Hi!

I don't think you will be disappointed at all with a garden view at the GF. They are all magnificent views of gardens, the marina and some even have a view of the monorail, which I like and think is magical because it's part of Disney!

That being said, I can tell you about the buildings I've stayed in. On my honeymoon I was in Sago Cay room 5441 which is a king bed room facing the castle. BUT, you can get rooms in this building facing the marina, Conch Key and Sugar Loaf or facing the lagoon and monorail (no castle). The theme in this building is Wind in the Willows and the rooms are decorated in soft yellows and blues with hidden characters from Wind in the Willows. We also stayed in Conch Key with a view of the marina and Sago Cay. This was a garden view room. These rooms are decorated in blue and have an Alice in Wonderland theme. This room was so Disney, with hidden characters from Alice in Wonderland and themed toiletries to boot.

There is a GF FAQ floating on the resorts board that show pictures of the different rooms from different buildings and their themes. I would also recommend Boca Chica because it's garden view rooms overlook the gardens and the pool area and that area is just lovely.

Hope this helps a little. Have fun planning and enjoy your anniversary trip!!!

Thanks so much! We were at FW for seven nights this summer in our RV, and I'm so happy to be able to plan another trip so soon! Our GF trip will be my 7th time at WDW since 1983 (DH's 3rd with me) and my 5th stay on property. I stayed at CR in 1987 and loved being on the monorail.

Have fun in February with your students - what a great opportunity for them :D

We also stayed in Sago Cay. Our room was reserved as a garden view, but we faced the monorail and a finger of the lagoon. We liked the location a lot more than we thought we would. Easy access to the Main building using the porches around it, quick access to Gasparilla Grill for drink refills and snacks. Found a back way to the bus stops and easy walk to the boats. Wind in the Willow themeing and great housekeeping service. -HiddenMickey

I've stayed there twice. On both trips we felt the service was not close to what it should be for a "flagship" resort.

I will probably never stay there again due to the subpar service levels received during previous stays.

Anne

Hi!

We have stayed there several times and have reservations to stay there again in January. As anything it is a thing of timing with any "Bad" experience. For a while it seemed as if a bunch of bad things where happening, I for one have had "Moments" at several resort, and blew them off to someone having a Bad Day and It was never a personal attack just an irritation to do something.

Any who. The Atmosphere is so nice, clean and peaceful. The CM's are just "Grand", no pun intended. :p The rooms are spaceous and Beautiful. Not completely sold on this Different Theme thing, I hoped that they would have kept the "Old" look but that's just our opinion. You know it must be good if after staying at several resort "My Husband" says he only wants to stay there, he's done trying out resorts. Poor me! ;) ;) ;) After our stay at the Polynesian even my parents want to stay there. We ate at several places (Grand Floridian Cafe, Gasparilla Grill, Narcosee's) and my family was more than sold that you could spend a day just at your resort and not have to go anywhere else. If you have any other questions let me know. I would be happy to answer any.

Wendi

After our stay at the GF in October, my DH doesn't want to stay anywhere else, either! And we've only been to one other resort! Oh well, it could be worse...;)

We absolutely loved it at the GF and didn't have a single issue with service of any kind. It was a wonderul experience and we're going again in November with my parents (newbies) and in-laws (only been once when Epcot was being built). As the previous post stated, you could spend at least a day without ever having to leave. The grounds are absolutely lovely, the CM's are friendly (in my experience) and the atmosphere is one of casual, relaxed elegance, though not at all stuffy.

We were in Conch Key, with a garden view, and looked out over the gardens and the quiet pool - beautiful! We've actually requested the same building with the same view for this upcoming trip.

Have a wonderful vacation!

I have stayed at GF two times getting ready for our third.
We love it. My DH will also not stay any where else. We stayed at the CM in Oct. 2001. When I saw the GF from the monorail I had to stay there. We returned in Feb.2002 and we fell in love with it...We love everything the staff,the rooms,and the theme. After our trip in Feb. we went back in Nov.2002. We stayed in the Sugar Loaf for a week. I thought that the service was super. DS got hurt in the room and the staff was wonderful to my family. They got the medicine sent to us and check on us through out our stay. DS pulled a muscle in his neck at four. Over all we have been very pleased with our stays. We are heading back Sept 19 till the 28.:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc I hope you enjoy your stay. I think it is a great way to celebrate your fifth annivesary.

We spent 5 nights over Memorial Day weekend and we LOVE this Hotel. We have stayed at the CR and YC, but this hotel is a level higher in every respect. From the gardens to the pools to the lobby it all was just (should I say it?) GRAND!

Sounds like the Grand Floridian is a "Grand" choice for us :D

Ducklite - sorry you had bad experiences............

I have stayed at the GF a few times, the most recent was a couple of weeks ago at the beginning of August. It has continued to be my favorite property at WDW.
Both my dh & I agree that the garden view room is probably the best value for the money. Last time we stayed in concierge and I found the Club Level at the Swan to be better food and service overall comparitively.
I would not stay at concierge at the GF again, but I would certainly stay at the GF again w/o hesitation. The resort is magical. It is so beautiful and special. Truly magical!
I guess everyone has favorites - mine is the GF and I hope you enjoy your visit there and find it as magical as I do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter