tell me about your job or volunteer work that you love

ez

<font color=green>Yoshi Lover<br><font color=deepp
Looking for a part time job or volunteer work. If it's a job pay can be minimal. More important that I would love doing it, thanks!!

Looking for a part time job or volunteer work. If it's a job pay can be minimal. More important that I would love doing it, thanks!!
I don't think you can take what other people "love" and make it yours. What interests YOU? If you throw out some things you like, you'll get lots of suggestions on related fields/jobs/volunteer opportunities.

actually trying to consider something I may have never done or a new direction, something that might be "novel" to me

I'd like to hear the replies too. I am a retired waitress, and really don't want to go back to work on a regular basis but thinking more and more about doing some type of volunteer work but just not sure what yet. My Mom had to go live in a nursing home about 2 months ago and I'm thinking of inquiring there about volunteer positions to help out once or twice a week. Or maybe the local hospital, doing stuff like delivering flowers/mail, delivering meal trays/picking them back up, taking people for x-rays, or even working in the cafeteria (re-stocking, cleaning tables, etc.).

So I would love to hear what others here do for volunteer work.

Reactions: ez

Before I had kids, I volunteered at the Humane Society and worked with the animals. I took the dogs for walks, gave the cats medication, cuddled and played with them, etc. I've also worked for Head Start getting books into the hands of low income families. My city has an organization called Feed my Starving Children, and my kids and I volunteer there now.

I love my job. I work in public accounting. Sitting with clients during tax season and helping them with preparation of their tax returns is something I really enjoy doing. It does require schooling and consistent continuing education so its not really a job that one should or could just jump into (although many of the big chains do it).

I've also volunteered with local youth sports organizations. Baseball and basketball coaching. I loved this too and now apply most of my time to the board and getting things done behind the scene rather than on the field or court. We've also spent some time unloading food at local food banks. Granted, its not really continuous but it was still satisfying knowing we were helping others in times of need. Typically anything we can "pay forward", we do. In the past, we've even done the "mystery" random dinner check pay. Really anything to help others, that being in a physical way, mental or financial. If we're blessed enough to help, we try to.

I spent a few years on the scholarship committee for our local 4WD club. That was interesting & rewarding :)

I'm an art instructor. I teach people how to paint, draw, throw ceramics on the wheel, etc. I also volunteer at the Humane Society because I'm an animal lover of the highest kind :lovestruc

I love what I do!

Everyone will have different interests--her eis what I do and love (volunteer):

1. Leading a Girl Scout Troop (I also do the paperwork for our area, but do not love that). I no longer have a kid in scouts (DD18 is leading a troop near her university though!) but I still really love leading (actually, I prefer to lead a troop my kid is not in)----it is fun going through the materials and thinking of interesting, relevant ways to cover it with the girls and providing a safe and fun place for them to hang out, gain skills and have fun.
If you have an interest in working with kids--lots of girls are on waiting lists wanting troops but lacking leaders (especially in lower income areas)

2. Working with refugees. We live near a transition center where refugees stay for 1-8 weeks during initial processing. It must be so stressful having recently fled violence and then be in that in flux stage of not knowing if you can stay, not anywhere permanent to start to learn your way around, make friends, get the kids in school, find work, etc. All I do is help lead a yoga class for women who want a little fun and relaxation and something to do while they wait in the system--but I get to meet lots of people, play lots of charades (rarely do our participants speak English or German) and receive tons of smiles. It's really very rewarding and fun.

My family likes to tease me about being a professional volunteer, as I do a lot of it. Our city has a city volunteer page where you set up an account and you get an email of when a new event needs help. Events being various holiday activities, library activities, seasonal stuff, festivals, etc. I did have 3 regular gigs (now just 2). Our town has a miniature city where elem school kids come for field trips and learn about safety, taught by the firemen in our town. I either assist the firemen or man the front desk for them. I do that once a week. I am also the stage manager for our library run Storytelling Festival, That's a ton of fun! I get to organize the back stage area and meet/hang out/take care of the storytellers. The other one I help at is our local food pantry, I run the front desk, greet our clients, sign them in help them out.

I guess I was doing good enough at the pantry that they offered me a part time job organizing their special programs for the clients! So I am now planning/organizing/running their Thanksgiving meal hand out as well as their Holiday program and then the back to school event next year. I started in Oct and will finish in Jan, off for 6 months then start back up closer to mid July. My other volunteering activities miss me and I do miss them too, but I am eager to start back up in January.

And with this extra money, I am using it to go to Disney!! Win!

Last edited:
I volunteer at the local animal shelter and also at the library assisting functionally illiterate adults improve their reading skills.

These are great you guys totally rock with the cool things you are doing!!!!!!!

Volunteering a shuttle service for people to/from appointments is a great offering. I don't drive so getting my dad to and from the doctor was difficult so I found a company who did that (and waited for him at the appointment). My parents used to shuttle cancer patients to/from the cancer clinic.

My friend is a kid taxi but that comes with a lot of insurance. (He's a pastor and it's through the church but he's the driver and it's his vehicle).

My volunteering is mostly with MADD, service booths, working at the walks, going to/talking at schools and representing them in various places. I also do some of the city festivals and church related things (they're varied, everything from visitations to picking up a few groceries). I volunteer with Goodwill as well as work there.

My actual job is training adults with disabilities in the work force and coaching them. I wear a lot of hats in the store but the 'job description' is along the lines of supervising the staff. It really is a blast and I don't think I have ever worked a job where I really like everyone. Not 'besties' but I like them. We have volunteers there and an extra hand with the workers is always appreciated (police background search is necessary though.)

I loved teaching. Children are just so smart and bright and they just have such a sweet innocence to what they say and do. Those were the years that my depression vanished altogether. Schools always need help, even just on field trips to keep tack of the kids (it's like catching smoke!). I had one, one year who was so tall that decorating the classroom involved every inch of every wall.

I'm the wardrobe mistress for the three choirs at my kids' high school. I enjoy this a lot. Choir kids are an awesome group of kids....fun to be around, respectful, and smart. They give me a lot of hope for the future of our world....we hear so much negative about our world, and they always leave me upbeat. The work itself is mundane (fittings, helping them find lost bits of their outfits, hemming, sewing on buttons, repairing rips/tears), but I still enjoy the overall experience. And, you feel like you are making a tiny difference in the world. I take great pride in seeing them on stage, all looking their best. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter