Tell me about Xanax...

When I worked on the psych floor for a couple of years, our psychiatrists literally NEVER prescribed xanax for anxious inpatients. If they prescribed a tranquilizer, they always prescribed a longer-acting one such as Ativan or Klonopin. Reason being, for very anxious people who need to take a tranquilizer every day, xanax has a short half-life and is more likely to lead to rebound anxiety attacks. It's better to take something more long-acting.

When I was in school, I was VERY anxious (I literally averaged probably 3 hours of sleep a night for 2 years, that's how anxious I was--couldn't sleep) and I went to my doctor and he prescribed xanax 3 times a day. I looked up the side effects and just absolutely wouldn't take the stuff. I suffered instead. I wouldn't recommend this route (suffering), BUT I would question the doctor prescribing xanax if it is going to be an every-day medication (I wouldn't think you would have any problems with it if it was a once-in-a-while medication).

I know a few people that take it occasionally, maybe more than they say.
Here is a list of common side effects, I am sure a poster will come on & say all drugs have side effects.Xanax can be addictive.There is another list of more uncommon side efffects that I did not paste here.

While Xanax seems to be the most prescribed agent in stopping "panic attack", people should be aware of the potential problems and side effects of this medication. Xanax effects the memory of an individual, especially in verbal recall. Here is a list of the known side effects of Xanax:

drowsiness
fatigue
light-headedness
speech problems
abdominal cramps
constipation
dry mouth
hyperventilation
blurred vision
nausea
chest pain
change in sex drive
confusion
headache
change in appetite
insomnia
unusual dreams
change in salivation
low blood pressure
racing heartbeat
fainting
nasal congestion
difficulty urinating
sweating
weight change
skin irritation
twitching or tremors
nervous or anxious state
sun sensitivity

Xanax is, strictly speaking, a Benzodiazepine or "Benzo".

I don't like Benzos.

Why?

Well, they're addictive and tolerance forming, so if you take them for any length of time you not only get addicted, you lose any benefit you might have got from them to start with.

Some info from seratis.net:

Benzodiazepines, also known as minor or trivial tranquilisers, are drugs that act as central nervous system (CNS) depressants, sedatives, hypnotics, anxiolytics, anticonvulsants, amnestics (inducing anterograde amnesia) and muscle relaxants.

Benzodiazepines are believed to be GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) agonists, acting on the GABA-A receptor. GABA is the principal inhibitory neurotransmitter in the mammalian CNS.

The drugs were used primarily in the 1960s and the 1970s and were hailed as a huge leap from the more primitive barbiturates.

These drugs are classically split into three groups: long lasting sedatives, moderate lasting drugs (usually between 6 and 10 hours) and short lasting compounds which last a maximum of 6 hours.

Benzodiazepines are, however, habit forming so long term use can be counterproductive. However, they are far less open to abuse and exhibit far less side effects, especially in overdose which can be fatal in the case of barbiturates.

In terms of tolerance, any hypnotic effect loses its power in a matter of days and the anxiolytic effects wane after a couple of months. Addiction is a problem not only thanks to withdrawal effects but also because of the chance of an iatrogenic disorder. For these reasons, treatment is confined to a maximum of one month, although a limit of two weeks is more common.

Overdoses may lead to coma, but the effects are still favourable to those of barbiturates.

Benzodiazepines have other uses too - they are sometimes prescribed to combat depression, agorophobia and premenstrual tension; many also act to reduce memories of events whilst the patient is under sedation, for example, during medical procedures. Some can also reduce physical symptoms such as muscular spasms.

But hey, at least they're not Barbiturates :)

Rich::

Do you take it? When needed for panic attacks

Have you had complications? No

Do you take it everyday? No

What does it do? Pulls me out of panic, returns my pulse to normal, calms me enough to function

I take the lowest dose, .25mg, and it relaxes me in almost the exact same way a glass of wine would. I only take 1 every few months, as needed for panic attacks.

Same here. I've had panic attacks for twelve years and just knowing I have this as a back up if I get a bad attack, has relaxed me tremendously. I think I have used a total of 12 pills since last Sept.

I think Xanax can be a VERY effective drug when used appropriately. It can be very scary for an already-anxious person to read a thread like this and then get scared off from a drug that may potentially help them tremendously. I know, because I used to be like that.

If you have anxiety all day, every day (like GAD) then Xanax is NOT the right drug for you if you need daily medication. Things like Buspar, Cymbalta, etc. should be used for that. (I cannot take Buspar due to nasty side effects, but Cymbalta has been a miracle drug for me).

Xanax is best used to treat occasional bouts of panic. I have been using Xanax for 3 years now, and I bet in that time I have taken less than 10 pills total. I am not addicted to it at all, yet I take comfort in knowing it is there and available if necessary. I actually use Niravam, which is a form of xanax that melts under the tongue. After all, you don't always have water on hand when a panic attack sets in.

I know there are some schools of thought that say "living with the addiction is better than living with the anxiety" and I would agree to an extent. I truly believe my body is addicted to my Cymbalta (SSRI), but honestly, I would much rather live having to take a daily med the rest of my life, than live the way I was pre-medication. Like a PP mentioned, it's like walking around just waiting for "the other shoe to drop." Always worried, scared, waiting for that terrible thing to happen.

I guess my point to this long thread is that if you are experiencing daily anxiety to a point that it is disrupting your life, then there are better alternatives for daily treatment than Xanax. However, Xanax is a wonderful drug that when used properly can truly improve someone's quality of life.

JMHO

My Dr. offers me xanax all the time but I decline. I've seen how messed up it can make people. Its highly additive although those who take it will deny being addicted to it. I know people who have gone into rages if they can't get it and hurt those who love them because of the addiction and will seek out others for their pills if they run out. Its not a pretty sight. It's quite sad actually to see someone suffering like that.
If I were you, I'd look into another type of drug. Perhaps more of a mood stabilizer such as lamictal would be beneficial.

I suppose though as a once in a while thing it would be ok. Just be careful.

My Dr. offers me xanax all the time but I decline. I've seen how messed up it can make people. Its highly additive although those who take it will deny being addicted to it. I know people who have gone into rages if they can't get it and hurt those who love them because of the addiction and will seek out others for their pills if they run out. Its not a pretty sight. It's quite sad actually to see someone suffering like that.
If I were you, I'd look into another type of drug. Perhaps more of a mood stabilizer such as lamictal would be beneficial.

I suppose though as a once in a while thing it would be ok. Just be careful.

oh ya! It is a highly used "street" drug! for 2mg it runs approx 4/5 bucks around here! A lot of Heroin addicts use it, my ex did. In fact, most people cannot even find a doctor that will write for it!

I have been getting it thou for approx 25 years, since it came out to replace V's

Is lamictal a daily thing or once in a while?

I am prone to forgetting to take my pills and also prone to stopping abruptly so I would prefer the type that I would take only when symptoms arise.

I am prone to forgetting to take my pills and also prone to stopping abruptly so I would prefer the type that I would take only when symptoms arise.

But see (and keep in mind, Im a daily user since January) the I read how you'd be using it, it would be for occasional use, correct?

Occasional use isnt going to cause the horror stories that youre reading about here.

Again - I'm pro-xanax - it's changed my quality of life. Do I want to be a fiend, 'jonesin' for my next pill? Of course not.... BUT as a PP mentioned, I'd rather live with dependency, then anxiety.

I take a .25 in the morning, every day. And if needed, I take another in the afternoon. And thats it.

Lamictal is a daily pill. Depending on what you need the xanax for it may or may not be helpful. Just so you understand though lamictal is used in bi-polar patients. There are several types of bi-polar, not just the one you would commonly hear about. What it does is even out your mood so you aren't up and down. A lot of times Drs will prescribe xanax because when you are up is when you may tend to be more anxious and panicky. This just keeps you more even keeled which in turn will help with the anxiety.
However I don't believe its prescribed for general anxiety, so I guess its all dependent on the reasoning for needing xanax. Have I thoroughly confused you now? LOL

But see (and keep in mind, Im a daily user since January) the I read how you'd be using it, it would be for occasional use, correct?

Occasional use isnt going to cause the horror stories that youre reading about here.

Again - I'm pro-xanax - it's changed my quality of life. Do I want to be a fiend, 'jonesin' for my next pill? Of course not.... BUT as a PP mentioned, I'd rather live with dependency, then anxiety.

I take a .25 in the morning, every day. And if needed, I take another in the afternoon. And thats it.

I agree. As long as you can control yourself and the addiction part, then it can be beneficial. Its when you get too dependent and out of control is where the problem lays. Thing is though that can sneak up on you and no matter how many times those who care about you talk about being addicted you will deny it.

As long as its used properly and completely under the control of a Dr. then yes, it can be a good thing.

I agree. As long as you can control yourself and the addiction part, then it can be beneficial. Its when you get too dependent and out of control is where the problem lays. Thing is though that can sneak up on you and no matter how many times those who care about you talk about being addicted you will deny it.

As long as its used properly and completely under the control of a Dr. then yes, it can be a good thing.

but see, this is what people do not understand. when I first started taking Xanax back in 1985 or 6, I was on .25 mg a day. after a while .25 will not do anything, and you need to keep in mind that xanax also causes anxiety. weird, but true. Like mentioned above, xanax has a half life so it builds up in your fat cells. That is why after awhile .25 is not going to do to much to you.

But I went off, or tried to stop taking .25 the first year I was on it. and I went thru 6 months of pure hell! I had the shakes, saw spots, had more panic attacks then I could ever dream of. I was sick my stomach and had a seizure. which people are unaware can happen. Alot more then that happened. I did not know WHAT was going on and was freaking out.

YOu do not need to misuse it to have that happen to you. If you take .25 daily for many months, you will have that. period. Your body is use to it in your fat cells, you will withdraw.

and what ticks me off is the doctors do not tell you the affects of something like that!

and if you read the PDR like I do you would know that xanax is only suppose to be used for "short term use"

and yes, I have had a script for 20 something years. to which I take maybe 1 pill a week total.

so you do not have to "misuse" to become addicted to it, you just will never know you are till you try to stop it.

Also keep in mind that many people react differently to meds. For me, I am very prone to side effects. DH, not so much. ANY pain med (like percocet, oxycontin etc) makes me violently sick to my stomach. Codeine causes me to hallucinate as does Tylenol PM and sometimes Benadryl. None of those things happens to DH or my sisters, parents etc. I tolerate Xanax very well except for the grogginess in the morning if I take it in the middle of the night for my mid-night anxiety.

Like Albuterol (the stuff in asthma inhalers) Xanax is generally regarded as a "rescue" medicine...one that should be used when an attack is imminent or in progress, and not taken to PREVENT the problem. The same goes for most migraine meds. If you find you are taking your xanax more than you should, you likely need to be on some sort of prophylactic med (preventative). This is the same reasoning behind why my insurnace company will only give me 8 migrain pills per month. Their thought is that if I need more than that the stop a massive migrain attack, then I should be doing/taking something else to prevent them in the first place.

Like Albuterol (the stuff in asthma inhalers) Xanax is generally regarded as a "rescue" medicine...one that should be used when an attack is imminent or in progress, and not taken to PREVENT the problem. .

Fair enough - BUT when someone (i.e. me) goes and does Neurofeedback Therapy (dont ask...it's weird :lmao: ) and is trying to get 'cured' without any SSRI type meds, this works. KWIM?

Im not planning on being on something for the rest of my life, but who knows? After my mom passed away, it was a very very difficult time. I gained weight, I paniced just about daily, and was fixated on gloom and doom. Im greatful, truly greatful, to have found a DR to work with me - and give me a med I have used, and that works well.

Since doing the Nuero & the Xanax - everything is changing, and it's changing for the better. :goodvibes :thumbsup2 I feel like me again, but still me without a Mom.

Fair enough - BUT when someone (i.e. me) goes and does Neurofeedback Therapy (dont ask...it's weird :lmao: ) and is trying to get 'cured' without any SSRI type meds, this works. KWIM?

Im not planning on being on something for the rest of my life, but who knows? After my mom passed away, it was a very very difficult time. I gained weight, I paniced just about daily, and was fixated on gloom and doom. Im greatful, truly greatful, to have found a DR to work with me - and give me a med I have used, and that works well.

Since doing the Nuero & the Xanax - everything is changing, and it's changing for the better. :goodvibes :thumbsup2 I feel like me again, but still me without a Mom.

then that is a good thing, but know you also have the knowledge unlike me. So when it is time to come off them you just ween down on them.

Sorry about your mom and hang in there! There is one major side effect thou, that you should know about xanax and that is weight gain, it makes you hungry. Just so you know!;)
take care..TTYL

There is one major side effect thou, that you should know about xanax and that is weight gain, it makes you hungry. Just so you know!;)
take care..TTYL

I think that for someone who was abusing it - I could see where that could become an issue, but since I genuinally feel 'better' and 'normal' - Ive seen weight loss since being on it. :confused3

I don't know if it's any help, but you can garner quite a lot of information from here:

• Crazy Meds Talk - psychiatric forum, best on the net for help on meds;
  • Crazy Meds - Crazy Meds itself, a very human and down to earth take on the more popular psychiatric medications;
  • Seratis - my review site on psychiatric medications. Chances are, if you're after info on a med, it should be on there.

Good luck everyone!

I don't know if it's any help, but you can garner quite a lot of information from here:

• Crazy Meds Talk - psychiatric forum, best on the net for help on meds;
  • Crazy Meds - Crazy Meds itself, a very human and down to earth take on the more popular psychiatric medications;
  • Seratis - my review site on psychiatric medications. Chances are, if you're after info on a med, it should be on there.

Good luck everyone!

I looooove crazy meds . com!!! :thumbsup2

Great website!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter