Tell me about Vero Beach?

Tinkerspell

Practically Perfect Pixie
We're thinking about tacking on two days at Vero Beach (assuming there's availability) at the end of our Disney vacation in June. Thing is, we really don't know much, if anything, about it or the area. (We're just excited by the word beach.)

So, can you fill us in on what there is to do, where to eat? Do you all just sit on the beach or do anything else?

Thanks!

We split up our vacation last year (late June) by spending three nights at Vero and then 4 nights at DW. Our two sons (10 & 11) at the time loved the spot and DH and I thoroughly enjoyed the laid back feel. Strolling along the beach in the early morning, riding the waves and then relaxing by the pool. It is a very different vibe from DW but if you are looking to relax Vero is the place. Beautiful resort! We also would take some time in the heat of the afternoon and drive around the area. We had a wonderful afternoon enjoying some local talent and lunch down on a pier, wander through some local shops. We were looking to unwind and didn't push ourselves. I'm sure Rob (disdaydreamer) could fill you in much more since he is the expert on Vero. If we did it again we would do the DW part first and then relax at Vero. We did it backwards last year because our youngest son wanted to be in DW for the final Star Wars Weekend in June.

Id call asap. We just got in the computer as new members, and were hoping for a sunday-thurs in a ocean view inn room. We were only able to get a Mon-Wed on a different week than we wanted in a garden view room. We took it but were sad. Id call asap, as availability in June were almost booked up this week..so much for a poor economy.

We love going to Vero Beach after the parks. It is so relaxing. We don't do much of anything except go to the beach and the pool. They have different activities you can sign up for and we love looking for shells.

One warning, once you go you may decide that you have to keep going back. Our first trip we just wanted to try so we did three days, next trip it was four and this one is five days.

We have stayed twice. The staff seems a little surly but overall a fun experience and very nice beach and pool area. Not too much else to do. Eating is best elsewhere, do some web searches before you go. Many restaurants are closing or closed.

We love going to Vero Beach after the parks. It is so relaxing. We don't do much of anything except go to the beach and the pool. They have different activities you can sign up for and we love looking for shells.

One warning, once you go you may decide that you have to keep going back. Our first trip we just wanted to try so we did three days, next trip it was four and this one is five days.

This is what we're doing this year...a week at the parks then 3 nights at VB to try it out & see how we like it... I have already been thinking that this may become our new "tradition" and that we may want to lengthen that part next time! We really enjoy 10 day vacations so I can see splitting it up 50/50 next time. I can't wait!!:goodvibes

This is what we're doing this year...a week at the parks then 3 nights at VB to try it out & see how we like it... I have already been thinking that this may become our new "tradition" and that we may want to lengthen that part next time! We really enjoy 10 day vacations so I can see splitting it up 50/50 next time. I can't wait!!:goodvibes

I think three nights should be the minimum for an after WDW trip. We did two nights in 2007 and it just wasn't enough time. This year we are foregoing WDW for a VB trip, we needed a break plus my son is getting married this summer and it'll be nice not to have to purchase passes this year.

Thanks so much for the replies! My mother-in-law usually takes us to Gulf Shores once a year (all her kids, spouses and grandkids) for a week. But we couldn't go last year because we were both in graduate school, and this year the trip isn't happening because SIL is getting in June.

I miss the beach!!

And the kiddos have never seen the ocean, just the Gulf, so this will be a great thing for all of us! I get my beach trip, they get a first time experience... and we get a trip to the World before hand!

(Oh, and thanks to the replies, we're staying 4 days now instead of two... :angel: )

The staff seems a little surly

:goodvibes Wow! never heard that one before. I'm guessing you are referring mainly to the pool staff. Actually the Activities CMs are also the lifeguards. I agree they do become more strict when they are managing the pool area. One thing I notice with the VB CMs is MANY have been there since our first visit in 98. These are not school kids working seasonally, they're adults with long experience in the environment they're managing.

They are VERY methodical (I have referred to them as being robotic) when on the lifeguard stands, and don't allow any running, goofing around on the slide, and just keep everyone within their set of strict guidelines for safe pool usage. I appreciate it actually. No room for error around the pool. And yet we have also had the opportunity (during a tropical storm) to see the same CMs absolutely absorb the kids in activities (for many hours) in the Inn to keep them occupied and happy. They are in my opinion professionals, and seem to love their work.

:beach:

Yeah, VB is the kind of place that can make you rethink why you didn't buy points there so you could book a beach cottage every time. But a 50 point add-on is enough for a few night every year. Who knows you might like it so much that you get married there....;) My wife and I got married there in June of 2007. It was great! The CMs are top notch. I recommend traveling south a bit on A1A and visiting the local ice cream establishments. We taste tested two places in about hour I think. You really can never have enough chocolate can you? :rolleyes1

Vero Beach is very nice and the beach is great, but not as nice as the sand on the Gulf Shores beaches. They have fun activities and a great campfire twice a week. The is a great little fishing pond across the street where you can catch bass and bluegills (catch and release). There is the Pelican Island National Wildlife refuge down the road, as well as the Sebastian Inlet State Park. There is a neat treasure museum in the state park, and Mel Fishers nearby. Yes, they are still finding treasure washed up on the beach, so keep your eyes open as you walk the beach.

There are lots of great restaurants nearby too.

Now that we have moved to Celebration we use a lot of our points at Vero and love it. If you can't get in, go on the waiting list. We have had a lot of success when we went on the wait list.

Good luck!

Jan

We split up our vacation last year (late June) by spending three nights at Vero and then 4 nights at DW. Our two sons (10 & 11) at the time loved the spot and DH and I thoroughly enjoyed the laid back feel. Strolling along the beach in the early morning, riding the waves and then relaxing by the pool. It is a very different vibe from DW but if you are looking to relax Vero is the place. Beautiful resort! We also would take some time in the heat of the afternoon and drive around the area. We had a wonderful afternoon enjoying some local talent and lunch down on a pier, wander through some local shops. We were looking to unwind and didn't push ourselves. I'm sure Rob (disdaydreamer) could fill you in much more since he is the expert on Vero. If we did it again we would do the DW part first and then relax at Vero. We did it backwards last year because our youngest son wanted to be in DW for the final Star Wars Weekend in June.

We're doing it backwards this year also- Since the SW weekwend is memorial weekend. This will be our first to VB - wish i could have done the SW first and then relax at the beach after. But, i'm sure it'll still be great any which way...

:goodvibes Wow! never heard that one before. I'm guessing you are referring mainly to the pool staff. Actually the Activities CMs are also the lifeguards. I agree they do become more strict when they are managing the pool area. One thing I notice with the VB CMs is MANY have been there since our first visit in 98. These are not school kids working seasonally, they're adults with long experience in the environment they're managing.

They are VERY methodical (I have referred to them as being robotic) when on the lifeguard stands, and don't allow any running, goofing around on the slide, and just keep everyone within their set of strict guidelines for safe pool usage. I appreciate it actually. No room for error around the pool. And yet we have also had the opportunity (during a tropical storm) to see the same CMs absolutely absorb the kids in activities (for many hours) in the Inn to keep them occupied and happy. They are in my opinion professionals, and seem to love their work.

:beach:

I'm with you Rob, I didn't think the CM's were surly at all. Now I've noticed the lifeguards be it at VB,SSR or BCV are very serious about there jobs and have no problem telling a grown up or a kid they are breaking the rules.

My 7yr old has been reminded a couple of times at various pools not to run back to the slide.

I chatted with one of the VB lifeguards last year before she got in the chair and she was very nice, but when she was on duty she was all business. Later in the week she ran the bingo game and the boys and I had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter