Tell me about the Royal Family 5k

I finished in something like 54 min last year- no sweepers to be seen and plenty of people behind me. :)

I have had a change of plans and now will have to drive to the race. Does anyone have any idea how early I need to leave? I will be at Bonet Creek.
I had the same question and the DIS experts recommended being IN my car, ready to pull out of the hotel, at 5:15am.

Did anyone you the 5k runners receive anything?
Nope, me neither. But I did notice they have the link to waivers/bib numbers and the final instructions up at Run Disney.

I finished in something like 54 min last year- no sweepers to be seen and plenty of people behind me. :)
:thumbsup2

Less than 2 weeks to go! :yay:

I got THE email today!! :cool1:

Has anyone preordered the photo cd before? How many pictures do they take and is it worth it?:confused3 There was a link in the virtual goodie bag.

Hi! I'm doing the 5K in stroller division. I hope someone with experience can advise me.

This is my first ever race. I didn't realize I would have to walk with the stroller, so I trained to run (C25K app from active.com -two days left!)

I'm able to complete a 5K now with minimal effort. I've done two this week so far. I'm very tempted to register for the half, but my time isn't very fast. Is it possible my speed could improve in time?

This means so much to me. I have a heart condition and was never really allowed to do this sort of thing. The fact that I can just do a 5K now is huge for me. The half is extremely tempting...

Hi! I'm doing the 5K in stroller division. I hope someone with experience can advise me.

This is my first ever race. I didn't realize I would have to walk with the stroller, so I trained to run (C25K app from active.com -two days left!)

I'm able to complete a 5K now with minimal effort. I've done two this week so far. I'm very tempted to register for the half, but my time isn't very fast. Is it possible my speed could improve in time?

This means so much to me. I have a heart condition and was never really allowed to do this sort of thing. The fact that I can just do a 5K now is huge for me. The half is extremely tempting...

If you are feeling tempted by it, by all means do it. Your body is telling you it's ready. There's a whole thread dedicated to people that are walking the enire 1/2 marathon. Even though the pace is supposed to be 16 mm if you look at the time from finishers last year the slowest one I think was 19mm.

WOW! Seriously??!?:banana: Thanks! My body doesn't want to stop! My husband is afraid I'll burn out. Can you offer any advice on improving my time? Right now I'm very, very slow. My 5K is about 55:03. I'm hoping to try to go out for 3:30 tomorrow and see what my times are like then. It's tough to find that much time for yourself with two small children!

WOW! Seriously??!?:banana: Thanks! My body doesn't want to stop! My husband is afraid I'll burn out. Can you offer any advice on improving my time? Right now I'm very, very slow. My 5K is about 55:03. I'm hoping to try to go out for 3:30 tomorrow and see what my times are like then. It's tough to find that much time for yourself with two small children!

I'm a bit confused...you want to run the Princess Half next week? I think you should ask your doctor first. My DD has a heart condition but has the doctors ok and we know what to do if she has issues. Next pace...your 5k pace is 17:43 and you need to keep a 16mm pace for the half. A used to walk with a friend and she pushed a double (90 lbs with her two kids). Without the stroller she ran and had a much faster pace. So your pace may be faster not pushing the extra weight.

Yes, I'm considering registering last minute for the half. My pace, sadly, is that slow. I have WPW arrhythmia and run with a chest strap hrm. Doc says as long as my heart doesn't act up while I'm exercising, I'm ok. I know the pacing should be 16 mpm, but if last year's final finisher did 19mpm, should I be ok? I'm still trying to get my time down.

Yes, I'm considering registering last minute for the half. My pace, sadly, is that slow. I have WPW arrhythmia and run with a chest strap hrm. Doc says as long as my heart doesn't act up while I'm exercising, I'm ok. I know the pacing should be 16 mpm, but if last year's final finisher did 19mpm, should I be ok? I'm still trying to get my time down.

Only you would know, if you would be ok. And would you be ok if you got swept? Or maybe wait a year and train for it. I would still check with your doctor. I think doing a walk/run would be helpful with WPW so that your heart rate doesn't get to high. The walking would allow for it to come back down. And with some training and experimenting with walk/run ratios to figure out what is best for your heart rate. If you decide to try it, you should register ASAP as I think they will say it's full in the next day or so.

Thanks. I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I got swept, like anyone would really. I think what I'm going to do is go out for 3:30 to 4:00 tomorrow and see how far I get, and at what pace. If it's within that time, I'll register (if it hasn't filled up!) Thank you!

Do you have any tips for increasing speed?

Did my first ever 1/2 at 3:38:37 for 13.2 miles! It's on the slower side, so I'm not sure if I should register. If I registered now, would I be in the last corral?

Did my first ever 1/2 at 3:38:37 for 13.2 miles! It's on the slower side, so I'm not sure if I should register. If I registered now, would I be in the last corral?

From what I was reading on the ToT forms, if you don't submit proof of time, you would be in the last corral. I don't know if all Disney races are the same, I guess you could try calling them.

Here is my story and two cents: I was in Disney during the Marathon in early January and was amazed at the people who had medals from the race. I have dreamed of running in Disney, but am not a runner, never have been actually. When DH and I returned home, he encouraged me to train and go back and do it. I took one day off to recover from 5 days of WDW walking and started the c25k program on Jan. 14th. Once I was in the program for about 2 weeks, I stumbled on the 1/2 walkers thread and SERIOUSLY considered signing up for the 1/2. (I didn't sign up until I had completed 3 weeks of training) For me, I decided that I probably could do the 1/2 with a walk/jog process, but I decided to enjoy the process along the way. I will do the 5k now, with my next Disney race either being the ToT 5k or I will jump to the 13K ToT race in Sept. Next year, if I can make it back, I will aim for the 1/2 Princess.

I would hate for you to spend the money on the 1/2 and get swept and not get your medal. You have trained for the 5k, so I would do it and enjoy it. Will you be doing the 5k with the stroller? If not, then you can aim for a personal best time or take it slow and get character pictures.

No matter what you choose, I'm sure you will have a magical time!!

How are the costumes coming for the 5k runners? I'm working on my Rapunzel. My purple skirt arrived yesterday. I feel silly wearing it, but I'm sure it won't matter once I am there. I'm putting the ribbon on my shirt tomorrow. I'm hoping I don't have any issues there!

Anyone want to share pictures of their costumes?? One more week and we will be there!! :woohoo:

They haven't called me back, and I fear the race will fill up before they do. If that happens, I'm going to train hard for next year (but I'm doing Everest this year!) I figure if my time is close to qualifying now, in a year it should be really good! I live in Orlando which makes things easier, and I don't really want to do the Wine and Dine. It's just not as appealing.

I'm wearing an Alice costume! I collect Alice things, so it was simple enough to find a costume for the 5K. And yes, I'm stroller division. I have a heart condition, was told i had a terminal lung disease (which now they're saying was "over called") and never thought could do a 5K, but here I am training for a half! I wanted my first run to be with my family by my side, so I went stroller division not realizing I couldn't actually run with the kids. I plan on having fun with it and taking the kids to see the characters.

Wow! Congrats on completing a 1/2 distance with a great time! I may be in the minority on this thread, but if you can do a 1/2 in that time, I believe you can speed yourself up at Disney. You will have so much adrenaline and the excitement of the race will push your pace a little faster. If you are in the last corral, get to the very front, that will give you an extra couple minutes cushion. If this is something you really want to do, I don't think you'll regret doing it. It's an amazing race!

Wow! Congrats on completing a 1/2 distance with a great time! I may be in the minority on this thread, but if you can do a 1/2 in that time, I believe you can speed yourself up at Disney. You will have so much adrenaline and the excitement of the race will push your pace a little faster. If you are in the last corral, get to the very front, that will give you an extra couple minutes cushion. If this is something you really want to do, I don't think you'll regret doing it. It's an amazing race!

Thank you so much! Is that really a good time? I thought it was on the slower side. I'm concerned about being swept because my pace gets very slow at parts, and I make it up later. If I got too slow in the last corral, wouldn't I get swept?

Thank you so much! Is that really a good time? I thought it was on the slower side. I'm concerned about being swept because my pace gets very slow at parts, and I make it up later. If I got too slow in the last corral, wouldn't I get swept?

For it being your first time doing the distance, your time was great compared to the 5k time you said you usually run. You're pace was around 16:30, which should translate to around 16:00 during a race. I know everyone is different, but I usually run a minute faster than my training pace when I'm in a race. Ideally you'll want to keep your pace fairly consistent throughout the race, but if you have to slow down at all, you'll want to try to make it to around mile 10. I've heard that just past mile 10 is where they loosen up the 16 min/ mile pace because you are off main highways at that point.

I'm nervous because my pace isn't very consistent, but I'm averaging ok. The absolute slowest I've caught my walking pace was 22 mpm but just for a second before I pick it back up. During those slower times, could I be swept, or is that only if the last group is around me? I've heard it's based on when the last person crosses the start, but it says they mark the miles as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter