Tell me about the 3rd week of December (13th through 20th, 2014)

pawla68

Mouseketeer
Hello all!

We are planning our next family trip to Disney. I was hoping DH would be able to get his vacation during the week before Thanksgiving (he has to put bids on which week he wants). I have done a lot of planning for that time period, watch wait times, etc. . Well, long story, found out yesterday that he gets the week of December 13-20th off. I am seeing many conflicting reports from the time period. :confused3

Can anyone offer any advice? How busy will it be? We have gone in August and October before.

TIA

Paula

Moderate crowds at worst. The only special event to consider around that time is Pop Warner, but that does not impact park attendance much.

To be clear, that week your DH has off is considered the third week in Dec. Could be a significant difference between 2nd and 3rd depending on when the holiday crowds are expected to start arriving. Pop Warner is the second week.

It used to be, anyway -- threads from this year seemed to indicate higher crowd levels than previous years during the same Dec timeframes...

Compressed Christmas season with a late Thanksgiving, the usual year-to-year "inflation" of crowds, and the ever-popular subjective nature of such a vague term as crowded ("feels crowded", says Josh) are all possible reasons. ;)

Compressed Christmas season with a late Thanksgiving, the usual year-to-year "inflation" of crowds, and the ever-popular subjective nature of such a vague term as crowded ("feels crowded", says Josh) are all possible reasons. ;)

When Josh has a sniffle, DISers are sneezing.

It used to be, anyway -- threads from this year seemed to indicate higher crowd levels than previous years during the same Dec timeframes...

Absolutely true - last month was our fourth in a row at that time of the year and it has definitely gotten busier each year. The third week turned out to be the sweet spot for December 2013. Could have been a result of compression like Mesa pointed out.

But Thanksgiving is also late again this year, isn't it? So rather than the second week, the third week might be even better.

I'd say 7 - 13th or 14th to the 19th should be OK.

It will start getting jam-packed on the evening of the 19th.

We went that week this year and it was WONDERFUL! The crowds were not bad and all the Christmas activities were going on. The weather was also great which I know was just the luck of the draw but I would definitely do it again!

We went this past Dec 7th - 16th. We had great weather - low 80's, most of the time, but admittedly above average, lol! The crowds didn't seem bad at all for most of the time. The weekends were more crowded than the week days but not super crowded or unbearable. We went last year in the 3rd week of Dec, 15th - 24th. Crowds were less than I expected as I thought they'd be starting to really get busy then, but wasn't bad at all. And we hate crowds, so it must not have been too bad. Dec is a great time to go, so beautiful and fun with all the decorations, Xmas party, music - just the fun of the holidays while at our fave place!

We want to go again this next Dec, but we have to end our trip by Dec 7th since that's when our AP runs out and our next trip won't fit in with renewing at all. So, anybody have any thoughts on the first week of Dec this year - Sat Nov 29th - Sun Dec 7th? I know the Sat is right after Thanksgiving and the parade will probably tape the next weekend(my DD23 is trying to talk me into going to that, not sure if that's a good idea, lol), but I'm hoping most of the time will be good. And this year there is at least one more day between thanksgiving and Xmas - still a short time but just a tad longer, lol! So, any thoughts on that week? One of the sites that predicts best weeks, has that first of Dec as the #1 week of the year to go, all things considered, the #2 week I think was the next week. But, personal experience is best if anyone has any!

I hope OP doesn't mind this question, since the talk was of the weeks of Dec for visits!

Bumping - for any thoughts on the week directly following Thanksgiving week this year Nov 29 - Dec 7th. Thx!

Bumping - for any thoughts on the week directly following Thanksgiving week this year Nov 29 - Dec 7th. Thx!

Pop Warner football, cheerleading competition, Disney Christmas Day Parade taping... for starters...

Also bumping for December 29 and December 30.

(I was originally planning on NYE but since they run the Fantasy in the Sky fireworks on the 30th I'm figuring the crowds on the 29th will be alot easier than trying to do the 30th and 31st...)
(I'm not at all expecting to actually make it into MK on the 30th - That'll be the 29th - The 30th will probably be HS to catch the Osborne Lights then back to one of the monorail resorts for dinner and catch the fireworks show)

Pop Warner football, cheerleading competition, Disney Christmas Day Parade taping... for starters...

Isn't Pop Warner the 2nd week in Dec? It was at least this past Dec. I was worried when I heard about it at first, but it really never affected our trip at all, don't recall ever seeing them anywhere and we stayed away from their resorts. Cheerleaders were that the 2nd week, too, but we did see some of them. Both turned out not to be a big deal though. Now, we did get to WDW on the Sat of the taping this year, but missed all the parade stuff. And we wanted to see MK that night so we went anyway, even though we knew the crowds would probably be big. It was crowded, but not terrible and we did have our 3 FP's. But, this year, in talking about dates and that the parade would be probably be Sat the 6th, my DD23 says she really wants to try to go! Yikes! I'm not sure myself, but I suppose it might be interesting and we can always leave if we are hating or even go back to the rides where the crowds should be low during the day. Would be interesting to hear from people who were there the Sat of parade, both from those who wanted to be there and those who didn't!

Thanks, larryz!

Our first trip we went this time of year and the first few days were low crowds, but the closer our trip inched towards Christmas the more crowded it got. We actually had to get up early the last few days :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter