Tell me about taking a 2 year old

BelleNJ

Finally a Floridian!!!
DH and I are taking our DD to Disney in September. She will be a little over 2 years old at the time. She went when she was six months old, but I know this is a new ballgame. Am I crazy? I know she will have a great time. Any tips would be great. We have a one bedroom at the Beach Club Villas.
Thanks.

My husband and I are taking our 2 year old son this May. This will be the first time taking him to Disney. I think I need to ask you some questions! What hotels do you suggest for 2 year olds, if you know? And, what do you think about a babysitter while your there? (I posted the message about the babysitter in Disney world.)

Good luck with you DD!

We took our DS the week of his 2nd birthday and he had a blast. It was his first time. You just have to be prepared to go alot slower than normal. My son wanted to walk on his own a lot. We aklso went back to our hotel every afternoon for a nap and just to wind down. We stayed at the All-Star Movies, my son loved the hotel as much as he loved the parks. he had to say goodnight to Purdy and Pondo (the 3 story dalmations at our hotel) everynight. Just enjoy your trip and don't put too much pressure on things being perfect. kids will be kids. We didn't make too many plans ahead of time becuase with a small child its whatever whenever. Hope this helps.
Nicole
Ethan 1-14-01 (I'm a Disney pro now)
Chloe 7-31/03 (I"m getting there)

Yes, that does help. I was planning on staying at the All Star Movies, but now I think I'm gonna stay at the Holiday Inn in the Walt Disney World Resort DTD hotel. It sounds pretty good, and it's cheaper. I do think that he would really love the All Star Movie resort though. How is the pool there? Is there a playground for little kids too?

Thanks for the help!

we took our two boys for the first time in october. they were 8 and 18 months. our littlest one absolutely loved it. some people thought we were nuts be we knew our older one would be the perfect age. well the baby did great! we just left around 3 almost everyday. the baby refused to sleep while we were in the parks but as soon as we got in the car he fell asleep so we went to the hotel and rested up and then had dinner and then went back until closing. it really did work out. the only thing he didn't like was it's tough to be a bug, a 3d movie in animal kingdom. everything else was fine. we're actually taking them again in june and he cannot stop talking about it. good luck and have a great time!! barbara in nj::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

Cokegal,

I would really rethink staying at the all stars. We stayed there when DS was younger and it really is a ideal budget resort. The bigest plus with a two year old is the trasportation. Being on site will make it so much easier to return to the room for an afternoon nap break. You can do shorter periods of time at the parks and then return later with less hassel. ASMO has a cute kiddie pool that has a squirting fountian (a fish???) in it. The food court is good for quick reasonable food this is pretty good. Good luck with your decission.

Jordan's mom

Both our girls went to disney with first time when they were 16 months old (in fact, Mom was pregnant with #2 when #1 got her first trip). We only did one park (since we were in California at the time) and took it nice and slow.

DD had a blast - we did all the kid rides in Fantasyland, and a couple other ones as well (baby swap really works great!!).

DD loved the music, parades (especially the main street electrical parade...don't know what it's called at MK), and everything else she saw. We focused on seeing the day through her eyes and DW and I had an absolute blast all day long.

We took lots of snack breaks, bird chasing breaks, ice cream breaks, and so on. DD was up all day long and was out cold before we hit the car in the parking lot.

Take lots of pictures and bring your camcorder - the movies we took during DD's first trips are among our favorites.

You made a good point about the transportation. The DTD hotels provide good transportation, but I don't think they run as much as the acutal disney busses. We are kinda pressed on time also, since we will be getting there Monday Night, and stay till Saturday night. I wanted to take 2 days and do all the kiddie stuff, and then 2 days and do the rides (while my son stays with a sitter). On Saturday I wanted to go to Universal, but I'm not sure we'll have the time. I guess you really do have to be there for 2 weeks to see eveyrthing and enjoy yourself!

I still haven't heard anyones opinions on getting a sitter. I'm starting to feel bad about it, since this disney trip should be all about my son! I really want to go on some rides, though, like space mountain, splash waterfalls, the race track thing... and I don't think it would be fun doing the baby-swap and riding it by yourself! I dont know. I would really like some opinions on this.

Thanks for the other advice, though.

Also, how do you get those countdown clocks?

When we went last summer our youngest was almost 3. I was a little nervous about how he would react to the characters and if he was too young, but the Fairytale vacation package was too good to pass up (we also had a 4 and 5 year old). It was the best surprise. He loved everything and was actually thrilled by the least little thing like the monorail. He had no expectations so he had no disappointments. He still talks about it constantly and we are surprising them with the July trip to HRH and GF. Can't wait to see the look on their faces.

My dad and I took my 2 yr old son in Feb (dh was stuck at work poor guy). I was so excited to see what his reaction to everything would be. To prep for the trip I ordered the plannig kit for the dvd. I showed it to my son, and he would ask to watch it all the time (even on the car ride down). Also, I got the Sing Along Beach Party video to prep him for the characters (he wouldnt go near Santa last Christmas). Again, he loved and still loves it. We stayed at CR because of the location and because we love it. My son is a huge train buff so the monorail was a huge hit with him once he discovered it. We checked in around lunch time, got our luggage to our room (it was ready), grabbed a bite to eat, then went to catch a bus. My son waved every time the monorail went overhead and told everyone that there goes the train. We did MGM the first day to ease into things. Playhouse Disney was a hit, as well as the parade, and Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground. The miss was the Muppets 3D (my son is now afraid of the dark). Fantasmic was a huge hit as well. For this we headed over after the parade, grabbed dinner from a vendor, got some good seats and waited. We let the crowds blow out afterwards. The next day we did MK. We got a front cab on the monorail (huge hit) and a co-pilots license. When we got to MK, he went nuts when he saw the castle (thanks dvd). We headed straight to Fantasyland and Dumbo (20 min wait). Other huge hits-Carousel, Small World, Indy Cars, and the train. Peter Pan didnt do much for him, and the huge misses: Haunted Mansion and Philharmagic (dark and pop up things). We headed back to CR for lunch and a short nap, then back to MK for another round on the hit rides, parade, and Wishes. We were so grateful afterwards for staying at CR when we saw the line for the monorail to the transportation center. We walked right on to the resort monorail (and we couldve walked back too). Next day, AK and Epcot. Didnt spend a lot of time at AK because we have a zoo here. We did do the safari which he liked (he made the animal sounds when he saw them). Epcot wasnt much of a hit with him either. Universe of Energy was a bust, and Living Seas was so so. We were only there 3 days. As for the characters-he was apprehensive to approach any other than Mickey. I took him up most of the time. On checkout morning, we had PS for Chef Mickeys. By then he was used to the characters and had no problem facing them. What a blast my dad and I (and others) had watching him with the characters (I think the video helped prep him for this as well). He played hand tag with Pluto, bopped Dale on the head, pulled up Minnies dress, and kissed Mickey (that got a reaction from all). On the way out he waved bye to Goofy. Next time we're doing that place 2x!

I brought sunscreen, hat w/clip that attatched to his shirt, small snacks (cereal bars, juice, pb crackers, fruit chews), video and digital camera, my waist pack, diaper pad that could carry diapers and wipes, ponchos on days they called for rain, his stroller. You might want to consider some kind of leash (my dh refuses to let me use one around him). My son likes to walk and bolt. I didnt like the harness (didnt want it in pictures), or the elastic wrist strap. I rigged a small fanny pack and the leash part of a harness together. My son could carry his snacks (free up some room for me), and I tucked the leash in the back of his shirt when not in use, but it was quickly available. Please make sure you have some id on your child as well, just in case. Check out the "Id for 10 yr old" post I added or www.childsid.com Great items available (my son wears his id bracelet 24/7 even swimming at here at home).

Hope this helps! Have fun, let your child "call" the shots and take lots of pictures/video! My son looks at his all the time now.

alison::MickeyMo

alloyd,

Sounds like you had a blast with your son! To bad your husband couldn't join you. Reading your post, I thought of another question. For some of the "rides" like the haunted mansion (my fav when I was little), or pirates of the carribean and the other little rides like that (not roller coasters, but the other things..) is there a hight requirement? Would a 2 year old be able to go on something like that? Do they recommend that little kids don't because it is scarey? How many rides can he go on that we would enjoy too?

I definately plan on taking him to the Playhouse Disney show. He LOVES watching Stanley and Jo-Jo. I ordered the vacation planning kit, and it should be here in about 2 weeks so I'm looking forward to that. We take my son to Chucky Cheese all the time, so he's used to the big mouse, hopefully he'll take to the charaters pretty well. Did you go to a disney breakfast with the charaters? How was that? Was there alot of kids there?

Did you go to Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure? If we have time, we were planning on going there. Do you know if 2 year olds can go on the back to the future ride, or the Jaws, or the earthquake?

Thanks!

Judy

Ds went when he was 16 months and again at 26 months. Big difference. Both times he loved the characters, I think that that is his favorite part of Disney. As for rides, when he was 16 months he did everything and had a great time. At 26 months, he didn't really care for Goofy's Barnstormer. He also didn't like anything that was in the dark - bummer. Our current trip planned for Aug, he will be 3.5 yrs old and I really hope that he is over this "dark" thing! I didn't get a chance to ride PoC last trip, I guess we will wait and see.

I hope you get to ride all the stuff this time around.....

So I take it they do let little kids ride the POC, and the Haunted Mansion, and other rides like that???? That will save me a ton of money in babysitting costs!!!

Can someone please tell me where I can get the countdown clocks???!!!!

Go to the Technical Support Board and you will see it there (how to add a countdown thread.) If I can do it, you can too;)

Yes, little ones can do those rides and don't forget about child swap for the rides that they are too small for.

The child swap doesn't seem all that fun, though. I'd like to enjoy the ride with my husband next to me! It's no fun riding by yourself! :)

(I fee like such a kid!!! I guess that's why I love this place!!! LOL!)

There is no height requirement on most of the calmer rides. On some though, they want the parent right next to the opening so the child doesnt fall out. The dark rides tended to scare my son, especially if things popped up. All of the 3D movies (we did 2-Muppets and Philharmagic) were too much for him. We didnt even attempt Snow White as others had warned about it. Peter Pan was fine though. I let my son "drive" the Indy cars. I pushed the pedal while he attempted to steer. It was so funny we were both laughing so hard. Hed turn the wheel hard and wed slam into the metal guider below. You should see the video I took. It was like he was drunk! My dad took him next and he took over after 15 seconds of slamming.

We did the character breakfast the day we left at Chef Mickeys. As I said before, by then he was used to the size of them. Next time I will go to 2 character dinings if possible (maybe Ohanas, and definitely Chef Mickeys). It was a mixed crowd-old, young, kids, teens, etc....buffet style and the food was pretty good. When you get there they take a pic of you (theyll show it at your table later on and you can buy it). Each character comes around to every table and interacts with you. Its great for autographs and photos. It was Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Chip and Dale. Id say we were there for an hour, but it flew by.

alison::MickeyMo

For some parents I would think twice about the HM. If your kids are fearful of the dark.. The tombstones and all that stuff can be creapy.. My DS2 loves POTC, but we don't go on the HM as the 'undertakeers' can be freaky and all the darkenss. Where at POTC we can sing the songs and there is a lot of action..

Just got back this week. My DS is just under two. He has now been twice, last year for his first birthday and this year for a trip with Grandma and Auntie and Uncle (with Mommy and Daddy in tow too). The only difference from last year to this is that I actually was able to get a lot of stuff in and did not have to take it as slow and we didn't have to have an endless supply of snacks on hand - he ate when we ate. He was up for any and all rides, well, the ones he could do. He LOVED Dumbo. We were bad, bad, bad parents because we actually took him on Haunted Mansion - big mistake, we should have done baby swap but we just wanted to get the ride in before we left the park all together - I am dreading the therapist bills for this one as it broke down in the screaching heads room.

Here's what I think is absolutely a can't miss with a toddler of this age - character meals. We went to lunch with Pooh and Friends at the Crystal Palace. This lunch was all he talked about prior to the trip and afterwards. It was a great time for all of us.

Here's what we did - we only went to WDW for one day and in that day we did MK.

We went directly to get FastPasses for Philharmagic then went on Dumbo. We saw Philharmagic (which was awesome), then we went and saw Belle's Story Time, we watched the Surprise Party, we went on Small World, we saw the Tiki Birds, we rode on the train, we got FastPasses for Pooh and did this after our lunch with Pooh. I thikn this ride is wierd and totally not worth the wait time without FastPass. It moves too quickly for your toddler to get it too. We then went to dinner at 'Ohanas then came back in the park for Spectromagic. We left immediately afterwards and watched the fireworks from the TTC. He was in bed by 9:45 pm.

Have a great time! Its a perfect age to go. Don't miss Dumbo!

I went in February with my son 2 and niece 3. We stayed at the POP Century and they LOVED it - every morning we would walk around the grounds just because they couldn't get enough of the Mr & Mrs. Potato Head icons and the giant yo-yos and Mickey phone. I was worried too but they were great-with so much to see and do they were constantly amazed and even better pooped by 7:00 at night. They still talk about the trip and my son sleeps with his stuffed Mickey every night and my niece keeps asking when are we going back - "tomorrow" she says.

We did the MK for 2 days and a Character breakfast @ Chef Mickey's we had a PS for 11:00 am - which was great because we virutally had the characters to ourselves. My niece loved telling everyone how Minnie danced with her and how Pluto licked my face. I am so very glad that I took them and am in the process of planning another trip for later this year to include the AK & MGM.

Happy planning and have fun.

Everyone is getting me so exited!!!! I think I am a Disney-aholic! I know my 2 year old son will have a BLAST! I know that a MUST DO is the Dumbo ride. As far as the breakfast, lunch or Dinner with the Charaters, do you have to have tickets for that, or can you just go? Do you know where there is one with Pooh? My son loves pooh. Any suggestions on how to get him prepared for this? I want him to know the charaters before we get there so he'll really be excited to see them in "person". He watches the Disney channel and "The House of Mouse", but he's not really in to it. But I know we'll all have fun anyway!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter