Tell me about strollers on buses

westie55

DIS Veteran
First trip with a baby is approaching. How awful is it dealing with a stroller on the buses? Where do the strollers go while you are riding the bus? Do you fold it and hold it next to you, or is there an area where they're stored on or under the bus? I'm also worried about how packed the buses will be at the end of the night. I find it hard to stand up on my own, lol, so the thought of standing while holding an infant is daunting. DS is not walking and can't stand on his own, so I'd have to hold him. For those who have gone with infants, how did the buses work out for you?

I've never used the bus with an infant, though I have been to WDW with an infant.

You'll have to fold up your stroller and hold it next to you on the bus. The buses can get pretty packed at the end of the night, and sometimes you will have to stand up, but for the most part, I've always seen people give their seats to someone who was holding a baby. Personally, if I thought I might have to stand, I would have kept my baby in my sling or baby bjorn type carrier on the bus (which would work even if I were sitting) because I always had that type carrier with me anyway. That might be worth considering. If you have two adults with you, the easiest thing would be to have one adult deal with the baby and the other deal with the stroller. Remember you also have to take everything out of the stroller to fold up usually, so you'll want to consider that as well.

If you are riding Magical Express, the stroller will go under the bus with any luggage. You won't be able to use a carseat on the ME either, so baby will have to sit on your lap. ME buses are coach buses, not commuter type buses like the resort to park buses.

First trip with a baby is approaching. How awful is it dealing with a stroller on the buses? Where do the strollers go while you are riding the bus? Do you fold it and hold it next to you, or is there an area where they're stored on or under the bus? I'm also worried about how packed the buses will be at the end of the night. I find it hard to stand up on my own, lol, so the thought of standing while holding an infant is daunting. DS is not walking and can't stand on his own, so I'd have to hold him. For those who have gone with infants, how did the buses work out for you?

It's not the most fun thing in the world, but it's def. doable. On our first trip there was a point after closing one night that I was standing, holding my 3 year old and balancing the foleded stroller next to me. That was the worst experience I've had and it only happened once. As long as you're going to have a 2nd adult that can do the baby or the stroller you'll be fine. It's not something anyone would like doing, but it's not horrible either. There's not a place to put the stroller you just fold it and hold onto it next to you.

ETA: I'd def. bring a carrier for the baby. I'm def. not a baby-wearer, however I wouldn't feel comfortable holding an infant while standing on a full bus. This was the only time I really used the carrier with my last kiddo and it really wasn't very often, but be prepared.

As PP mentioned I second the carrier. It will make your life a thousand times better if you are relying on the bus because you can not rely on others to give up a seat for you. It is a hot topic for debate but I find it is best to plan for the worst (i.e. no seats and no one giving up for you and baby) so by having a Ergo or wrap you can have two hands free if you have another adult to hold the stroller. If you are going by yourself then definitely get the carrier as you could not possible hold the baby and the stroller and the pole at the start and end of the day.

You also may need to wait for the next bus if you really need a seat. Sometimes at night it isn't the fact that no one wants to give up their seat but that they can't. I'll never forget trying to give a dad with his toddler my seat just to have a part plop their kid off their lap and into the seat. So even if people are courteous it doesn't always go to the person it was intended for.

Good advice above. It's tough but doable. You have to do everything yourself, there's no place to "store" the stroller, but lots of others are going through the exact same thing, and other people on the bus usually (though not always) are sympathetic and helpful.

When our kids were still in the double stroller stage, we drove to all parks except MK, but we went to MK as much as all other parks combined, so it was still a good number of bus trips. The car, of course, was easier. We always walked from the parking lot, rather than taking the parking lot trams.

We own and bring a City Mini GT, which folds super easy. We don't find it to be daunting at all. We keep DS in the stroller until just before it's time to board and then pop him out, fold it up and get on. We just hold it next to us. Typically one of us holds the baby and one holds the stroller, or one of our other kids holds the stroller.

We also have an ergo carrier but felt no need to use it on the bus.

There's no need to ever have to risk standing on a full bus, unless you want to, or don't mind - just wait for the next bus, especially with a baby and stroller!! We have, as we're as tired as everyone else, so to make sure we get a seat, we don't mind waiting.

We've never had issues w/a stroller on the bus, and even though we drive to WDW, we prefer the busses over driving our car to the parks.

As long as their are two adults, it's no issue. One of us takes DS and the other takes the stroller. There was only one time leaving the Magic Kingdom w/the exit rush where we were exhausted and would have had to stand on a full bus. We asked the cast member loading if we could wait for the next bus, and he was very accommodating, making sure we boarded first on the next bus. We've also found other guests very helpful if we've ever needed assistance w/the stroller, like offering to hold it (along with theirs) if I wanted to sit down, and I've done the same.

Also, keep in mind, if you drive instead of taking the bus, you will still have to fold up your stroller if you ride the tram - or walk to the entrance with the stroller. Epcot is usually the easiest to walk to the entrance from parking, but I wouldn't recommend it with the Magic Kingdom. Walking from parking to the Ticket and Transportation Center is much longer b/c you have to go around and under a tunnel to get to the monorail or boat (plus the MK busses just drop you off at the actual park entrance).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter