Tell me about St Augustine

pooch

Still feeling special!!
we have a few days between Disney days & DD suggested a visit to St Augustine. Highlights? We could either do 1 long day or possibly spend the night.

we have a few days between Disney days & DD suggested a visit to St Augustine. Highlights? We could either do 1 long day or possibly spend the night.

We went to a nephew's wedding there last March. We loved it!!! Beautiful city. Nice fort to walk around in and explore, great dining. The Boulevard that run right along the water (forget the name) has many eating places. There is a nice shopping area behind the main drag with lots of shops along alleyways. We had a great time!! A city rich in History.

MJ

We ate at the Columbia House restaurant. Outstanding Spanish food. You must get the sangria pitcher if you go.
We went on a Tuesday, and finding a place to park was rough! I would suggest if you find a place, just keep it there. There are many trolleys and tours you can take.

There's the Fort, the Old Jail, the Spanish Village, the Spanish Hospital, the Fountain of Youth, a Ripley's, and last I heard, the Pirate Soul Museum had moved there. There are also a plethora of ghost tours. There's enough to keep you busy for a few days.

Last time I went, I went to the Old Jail, and the Lighthouse.

Both were featured in an episode of Ghost Hunters, so maybe I was hunting ghosts, or maybe I was just being a tourist. ;)

But in all seriousness, the lighthouse is beautiful, a really good stair walk (there's over 200 steps) and offers a breathtaking view.

The jail was really just an average tour of an old jail, with a good dose of local history thrown in. A lot of cheesy photograph opportunities there.

There is lots to do, even if you just stay in the historic district. I would suggest spending one night. Look at hotels up by Ripleys Believe it or Not. I think there are a couple there that are fairly reasonable AND keep you in walking distance (Best Western and Comfort Inn and maybe some others). Depending on your interests, I'd suggest Fountain of Youth, Ripleys, Castillo de San Marcos, Pirate Museum, and Colonial Quarter. With the exception of the Fountain of Youth, these are all within walking distance of each other, even with kids. The main pedestrian thoroughfare is St. George Street. It is loaded with shops and restaurants. If you want to venture further, you can go to Alligator Farm (okay with a coupon) or the lighthouse or on out to the beach.

Last edited:
The Pirate Museum is a definite must-do. The owner actually hired Disney Imagineers to design it, there's at least one hidden Mickey, and it is every bit as interactive and well-done as you would expect from Disney quality. Also check out the Oldest Store Museum, with actual historical reenactors. Beyond that, I agree with the suggestions listed here. Also add a ghost tour if you're into that sort of thing. We did one in a hearse, but there are excellent walking tours as well. I love St. Augustine, and try to visit every year or two!

WE are actually Staying over on Friday on our way to WDW. We splurged this time and are staying at the old inn at the end of St George St. The name escapes me at the moment. We go every year to St. Augustine. Try Salt Life on the beach the food is great!

It's nice there. The kids went on field trips to there most years in school. They liked it there too.

Are they still closing all the shops around 6 pm? We found nothing to do other than sit endlessly in a bar after the sun went down. Daytime, however, was full of things to see and do. For one who doesn't go to bed early, it can make for a long and very boring night.

Are they still closing all the shops around 6 pm? We found nothing to do other than sit endlessly in a bar after the sun went down. Daytime, however, was full of things to see and do. For one who doesn't go to bed early, it can make for a long and very boring night.

The ghost tours are the after dark attraction. I don't know if it's still available, but there was a pirate ghost ship tour that was wonderful.

Ghost tours. Learn about how people are buried under the streets or something like that.

Also the fort was pretty cool. And there's a pretty nice chocolate tour there.

We go to St. Augustine every year & consider it our 2nd home! Some day, we hope to retire to the area.

For one night, I'd suggest maybe one of the many bed & breakfasts in town. There are also a few hotels downtown - some facing the bay. However, if you wanted to stay on the beach, the Hampton Inn or Fiesta Inn on the beach are nice - they are both on the beach side of the road.

If you're only planning one day, I think the Fort is a must-do.

The Pirate Museum is also really well-done. As someone else mentioned, it's designed by former Disney Imagineers. And it's right across the street from the Fort.

You could tour the Fort in the morning before it got too hot, cross the street & tour the Pirate Museum, eat at Spanish Bakery for lunch, shop on St. George Street for a while, eat at The Columbia for dinner, & then get an ice cream cone & walk along the bay in the evening.

In addition to drinking from the The Fountain of Youth, you can also learn a lot of the early history of the area at the site. Many times, they have live history demonstrators. The last time we were there, we were able to take part in a live ancient Native American weapons demonstration. Plus, peacocks roam the grounds.

Lightner Museum & Ripley's are also good. (And if it's sweltering outside, the Lightner Museum & Ripley's are inside.) The Old Jail is fun, but not as macabre as it used to be - they've toned it down quite a bit.

The Original Ghostly Walking Tour is also wonderful. There are TONS of different ghost tours, & some are really cheese-y. But the Original Walking Ghostly Walking Tour combines actual historical events w/ ghostly legends of the city - so it's a neat history lesson too.

St. George Street has lots of interesting little shops & restaurants, & there are side streets & alley ways off St. George Street w/ more of the same. Some of the shops & restaurants do tend to close early, but, during the tourist season, more & more are staying open later. (St. George Street is pedestrian only traffic.)

Parking is not great. You can park in the garage, but it's pricey. Sometimes, you can also find parking at the Fort. If you're staying at one of the bed & breakfasts or hotels in town, you won't need to worry about parking.

The Bayfront is a lovely area - often times, you can see dolphins in the bay. There are several different boat tours. This past June, we did a kayak tour in the bay.

For lunch, Spanish Bakery on St. George Street is delicious!

There are several different little shops that offer sangria tastings, but you can't beat the sangria at The Columbia.

For dinner, we like The Columbia, Harry's, and Barnacle Bill's. Aunt Kate's & Cap's on the Water near Vilano Beach are good too. On the beach, Sunset Grille, Oasis, & Saltwater Cowboy's are good. My parents also love the little Wildflower Café.

Our kids enjoy the Alligator Farm, & the Lighthouse is great too - you don't have to climb to the top (the view is great though!) & can still tour the lightkeeper's cottage & the grounds.

Last edited:
We go to St. Augustine every year & consider it our 2nd home! Some day, we hope to retire to the area.

For one night, I'd suggest maybe one of the many bed & breakfasts in town. There's also a few hotels downtown - some facing the bay. However, if you wanted to stay on the beach, the Hampton Inn or Fiesta Inn on the beach are nice - they are both on the beach side of the road.

If you're only planning one day, I think the Fort is a must-do.

The Pirate Museum is also really well-done. As someone else mentioned, it's designed by former Disney Imagineers. And it's right across the street from the Fort.

You could tour the Fort in the morning before it got too hot, cross the street & tour the Pirate Museum, eat at Spanish Bakery for lunch, shop on St. George Street for a while, eat at The Columbia for dinner, & then get an ice cream cone & walk along the bay in the evening.

In addition to drinking from the The Fountain of Youth, you can also learn a lot of the early history of the area. Plus, peacocks roam the grounds. Lightner Museum & Ripley's are also good. (And if it's sweltering outside, the Lightner Museum & Ripley's are inside.) The Old Jail is fun, but not as macabre as it used to be - they've toned it down quite a bit.

The Original Ghostly Walking Tour is also wonderful. There are TONS of different ghost tours, & some are really cheese-y. But the Original Walking Ghostly Walking Tour combines actual historical events w/ ghostly legends of the city - so it's a neat history lesson too.

St. George Street has lots of interesting little shops & restaurants, & there are side streets & alley ways off St. George Street w/ more of the same. Some of the shops & restaurants do tend to close early, but, during the tourist season, more & more are staying open later. (St. George Street is pedestrian only traffic.)

Parking is not great. You can park in the garage, but it's pricey. Sometimes, you can also find parking at the Fort. If you're staying at one of the bed & breakfasts or hotels in town, you won't need to worry about parking.

The Bayfront is a lovely area - often times, you can see dolphins in the bay. There are several different boat tours. This past June, we did a kayak tour in the bay.

For lunch, Spanish Bakery on St. George Street is delicious!

There are several different little shops that offer sangria tastings, but you can't beat the sangria at The Columbia.

For dinner, we like The Columbia, Harry's, and Barnacle Bill's. Aunt Kate's & Cap's on the Water near Vilano Beach are good too. On the beach, Sunset Grille, Oasis, & Saltwater Cowboy's are good. My parents also love the little Wildflower Café.

Our kids enjoy the Alligator Farm, & the Lighthouse is great too - you don't have to climb to the top (the view is great though!) & can still tour the lightkeeper's cottage & the grounds.

Harry's is still there? It gets my vote. Comes complete with ghost and tasty food.

Harry's is still there? It gets my vote. Comes complete with ghost and tasty food.
HUH, I ate at Harry,s was not thrilled and no one told me about the ghost. There is a place on the beach I think it is the Sunset Grill which was noted for its ghost. I ate there too...nothing and the food was not great either.

HUH, I ate at Harry,s was not thrilled and no one told me about the ghost. There is a place on the beach I think it is the Sunset Grill which was noted for its ghost. I ate there too...nothing and the food was not great either.
I forgot Urban Back 40 is pretty good. You HAVE to get the chicken or turkey pie. It is a sight to behold.

We have had really good experiences w/ the food at Harry's & some not-as-good experiences - it was still okay, just not wonderful.

But I love dining out on the patio w/ the live music.

Supposedly, the upstairs ladies' restroom is haunted by the ghost of a young woman named Catalina - who once lived in the old house. Sometimes, it's said, you can even smell her perfume. Every time we go, I visit the upstairs restroom, but, alas, no Catalina! But the ladies' room is very cute & quaint!

We have visited and enjoyed many of the places listed. We also enjoy visiting the Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche. Lots of historical significance and it's a charming chapel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter