Tell me about Shutters -$$ worth it? - Pro's and Con's

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
I am in the final stage of planning, even started the packing list and I have a box started with stuff to take.

We are doing a 7 night for our anniversary, just the 2 of us. So I was wondering if I should go ahead and spring for a shutters package. If I do how do I really get my moneys worth? Suggestions

If I don't what's it gonna cost me on board.

Thanks in advance.

image.jpg I wouldn't get a package now but get one on the ship, the photos are expensive but cute and disireable, And hard to say no to. There are various packages on board start off with a small one and if you want more photos upgrade that package.

We have found that, along with a very few individual photos, the PhotoBook is a nice way to go. You select photos from throughout your cruise, put them on the pages you want, and pick up a finished album right before you disembark. Much cheaper than building an album after the fact and we have something to share immediately.

how many pages and photos fit in a Photo Book that you buy through shutters? I am thinking of buying the disc pre cruise to save us money and get all of our photos, but then we have to print them and put them in a book. If it's done for us, that is a bonus and like PP said saves money.

how many pages and photos fit in a Photo Book that you buy through shutters? I am thinking of buying the disc pre cruise to save us money and get all of our photos, but then we have to print them and put them in a book. If it's done for us, that is a bonus and like PP said saves money.

I'll take a look and count them when I get home in a bit.

You can pre-order online to save some money and then cancel onboard for any reason if you decide you don't want it.

We bought the CD for our 7 night and received over 200 pics.

Last edited:
It appears you can select 34 different pictures for the PhotoBook album.

Having family photos taken by ship photographers sounds pretty appealing to me because although I consider myself excellent at being the "mamarazzi", obviously if I'm taking all the pictures I'd be missing out on being part of the picture next to my kid... What we probably won't do though is to go to many of those character appreances just to get our pictures taken - don't really want to spend vacation time waiting in line. Are there many other opportunities where the photographers would come to you? And where are some of your most memorable photos taken?

I'd like to know how many pictures they would usually take for a family, say on a 7-night cruise? I've heard some extremes (up to several hundreds), but wondering what the norm/average is like.

Last edited:
Most of the picture opportunities are in the Atrium before/after dinner every night. They will usually have several photogs set up with backgrounds/on the spiral stairs/in front of the theater. The lines for these are pretty variable. If you can go while the opposite group is dining, there's usually less of a wait but that's also usually while your show is going. We got a bunch of photos on our Panama Cruise, mostly characters but also with the professional backdrops. I think we had a about 80 total. We never really felt the lines were too long, it was fun to chat and sip a drink and look at everyone else's cruisewear while we waited. They do come around to the dining rooms several nights and take pictures at your table.

I certainly think it is worth it! I am a part-time photographer and when I look at my walls the only family pictures that are hanging were taken by Disney :/ If you know you are going to buy the entire thing you will find that you will go out of your way to have pictures taken. It is so hard to go thru the folder and not pick everything :-(

We were terrible with the photo ops, we never wanted to bother waiting in lines to get pictures taken. We didn't have enough pictures to fill the photo book we bought. I think we will skip it entirely next time.

You can pre-order online to save some money and then cancel onboard for any reason if you decide you don't want it.

We bought the CD for our 7 night and received over 200 pics.

How does the cancel on board work? Just if you don't take enough photos or don't like them enough, they will refund you? I'm looking at getting the package, we are going to be on a 12 night and its pretty pricey... But preorder does save a little.

How does the cancel on board work? Just if you don't take enough photos or don't like them enough, they will refund you? I'm looking at getting the package, we are going to be on a 12 night and its pretty pricey... But preorder does save a little.
As long as you go to Shutters by the night of the last full day of the cruise, you can cancel any package and get your money refunded.

Is this picture above the preorder prices? How do you preorder? What is the Preorder price vs the price on the ship. I am a professional photographer and I know this is a great opportunity to be in the pictures and not just taking them. When we went on our first Disney cruise they didn't have this and we paid a fortune because we wanted all of the images. Sorry for so many questions and TIA

I don't think it's worth it, not even close.

But...I do think Remy is well worth it, and probably a LOT of folks think $200 and up for a meal for two is silly.

What I'm saying is you just have to choose your splurge. If you really wouldn't be happy with a lot of pictures you take yourselves, plus perhaps buy a few special pictures individually (such as a family portrait), you might be willing to pay hundreds of dollars for pictures.

I'd convince myself it's the splurge I want, not any perception of savings. Like the Disney Dining Plan, people choose the most expensive dishes and tell themselves how much money they saved. People get a lot of photos taken for their CD (because they can) and tell themselves how much money they saved (and the savings is compared with, say $149 for 10 photos on a CD, which is pretty silly).

You probably know "in your heart" what you want to do, so just do it! Enjoy whatever splurge you choose for your cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter