• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me about September!

PattyO'Green

Earning My Ears
I am thinking about going to Disneyland in September. Can anyone tell me about their experiences in late September? Thanks!

(Crowds, weather, ride closures, decorations, etc.)

Our only 2 trips were in September. See my siggie for dates.
We LOVE Sept because the crowd levels are low. However - something major will be closed - you can count on it. The first year we missed Haunted Mansion bc it closes for the holiday overlay and we missed Small World for it's big remodel. Last year -- the toontown coaster (cheezy but my daughter loves it) was closed and we just caught one day of Ghost Galaxy Space Mountain (opening day of that ride - major wait) and Haunted Mansion for one day. Also, the hours are shorter and there are fewer showtimes. That being said, we accept those losses because the crowd levels are so nice. 2009 was definitely more busy that 2008 but that could have been because we went 1 week later and ended our trip at the beginning of the Halloween season.
The weather was very nice in 2008 (a KS girl living in WA now) with temps in the 70s and getting cooler once the sun disappeared. In 2009 we had HOT days with temps in the 80s and 90s.

Feel free to ask any other questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Our only 2 trips were in September. See my siggie for dates.
We LOVE Sept because the crowd levels are low. However - something major will be closed - you can count on it. The first year we missed Haunted Mansion bc it closes for the holiday overlay and we missed Small World for it's big remodel. Last year -- the toontown coaster (cheezy but my daughter loves it) was closed and we just caught one day of Ghost Galaxy Space Mountain (opening day of that ride - major wait) and Haunted Mansion for one day. Also, the hours are shorter and there are fewer showtimes. That being said, we accept those losses because the crowd levels are so nice. 2009 was definitely more busy that 2008 but that could have been because we went 1 week later and ended our trip at the beginning of the Halloween season.
The weather was very nice in 2008 (a KS girl living in WA now) with temps in the 70s and getting cooler once the sun disappeared. In 2009 we had HOT days with temps in the 80s and 90s.

Feel free to ask any other questions and I will do my best to answer them.

I hadn't thought about the waits for the Halloween overlays to be long since it would be right when they opened. The dates we are looking at are September 27th - October 1st. But with only three actual park days in there. I'd love to see the Halloween Space Mountain though. I wonder if we got there at opening if it would be easy to fast pass it.

I normally like January for the crowds and weather. But I'm really wanting to see the Fall decor since it's been so long.

The dates we are looking at are September 27th - October 1st. But with only three actual park days in there. I'd love to see the Halloween Space Mountain though. I wonder if we got there at opening if it would be easy to fast pass it.

Perfect! I was going to suggest the last week of Sept. All the overlays go in during the 2nd or 3rd week. By the last week, the overlaid rides should be open and the park operating in Halloween mode. We went this same period last year. The crowds were very low, and we got to see SM:GG (overlay for Space) and HMH. Of course, I'm one of those that much prefers traditional HM, but you take the good with the bad :) Only thing that was down was a refurb for POTC.

-Bob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter