Tell me about Rope Drop Ceremony

tinkerbell615

DIS Veteran
Can you all please tell me about the rope drop ceremony? As many times as we have gone to WDW, we have never been to a rope drop ceremony. I would really love to go for our upcoming June trip.

Can you tell me what time we should be at MK and what to expect?

Thanks!

We did rope drop one time at MK. I think we got there around 8:30 for a 9:00 opening. They let us through the gate and we were held just before you walk under the railroad station. They had a train come down the track and several characters got off and did a little "show" up in front of the train. Then they did a countdown and shot off streamers and confetti. At that point the rope was dropped and the sea of people moved inside.

The last trip I went on was last March (2009) and we got the MK about an hour before rope drop on a non extra magic hour day. I can't remember what time the ceremony began, but it was my first time seeing it, and it was very cute. I do not know if they do it every day, but I would suggest getting there early and asking the CM if they know anything about it. When I was there they had picked a family to help them "open" the park. I'm not sure how early that family was there, or how they were picked, but I think it would have been pretty cool.

I don't like to be negative, but I was not impressed with the little performance at the Magic Kingdom just prior to rope drop. I wouldn't get there early just to see the performance. I would get there early because the lines for the attractions will be shorter. If you're standing to the side you won't be able to see the performance, but you won't be missing much.

The best way to experience rope drop is when you're already in the park for a tour, and you just step out of the way and watch the hoardes descend. It's very cool to see from that perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter