• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me about 'Ohana please

mog

DIS Veteran
We have never been there and I made reservations for my extended family (13 of us) to eat there for my son's 21st birthday.
I kind of get that it is served "family style" at the table but what exactly does that mean? Is it an "all you care to eat" type thing?
Also, what is included in the price? Any drinks, desserts, tax, etc? Or is that price just the meal and all the other stuff is add ons?

Thanks! Just trying to get info together for the rest of the family so they know what to expect!

Family style means they bring out a large bowl of salad, sides, etc and you serve your own table. (Like how Olive Garden does salad.) You can ask for more, and they just bring another bowl.

Then they come around with the meats and serve each person individually.

Dessert is included and it is family style.

We personally loveeeee 'Ohana..My hubby insist on it when i make adr's...It is family style as in they bring lots of each item to your table and you share from that..they bring skewers of meat for each person at the table and just slide it on your plate. The drink and dessert is included in the price and it is all you care to eat. :) enjoy it..Its a great experience imo.

We have never been there and I made reservations for my extended family (13 of us) to eat there for my son's 21st birthday.
I kind of get that it is served "family style" at the table but what exactly does that mean? Is it an "all you care to eat" type thing?
Also, what is included in the price? Any drinks, desserts, tax, etc? Or is that price just the meal and all the other stuff is add ons?

Thanks! Just trying to get info together for the rest of the family so they know what to expect!

First, this is our family's FAVORITE restaurant in all of Disney! It is the last restaurant we eat at every year on our week vacation just as a sad but enjoyed way to end our magical time. I think you will LOVE it.

The meal is served family style. What that means here is that they first bring you appetizers and salad. They have a wonderful sweet hawaiann bread that is brought to your table. They will also bring a big bowl(s) of salad for everyone to share. For appetizers, they normally have some kind of shrimp (my family is not huge shrimp eaters but my husband, who likes it, reports that they are very good. Any of this you can ask for more of mind you.

The next to come to your table is the sides. They bring big bowls of Lomein type of noodle that rock!! Love them. They also bring bowls of seasoned steamed broccoli. Again, love it! Soon after, wait staff will start arriving at your table with various meats on long skewers. These meats have been grilled or fire roasted--who knows but they are all tasty. They will dole whatever meat out to whomever wants it. You will have skewers arrive at the table with pork, chicken (or turkey), beef, shrimp. Your party can have any or all of these. Again, you can request more of anything you want, as much as you want.

The meal is ended with the best bread pudding ever (and we are not big bread pudding eaters). They serve it with homemade caramel and a vanilla sauce that are to die for. We are normally so full but go to town on the dessert anyways. For kids, they will bring a make your own sundae.

Regarding price: I am a bit unsure on this one. We have always eaten there under the free dining plan so I have not paid attention to whether drinks are included. I am sure, however, that the appetizer, entree and dessert is all included. Drinks may or may not be--sorry I don't know that one. Tip is normally extra (that is the only thing we have to pay for with the free dining). With your big party, though, I am assuming they will include that in your bill--tacked on to the cost of the meal.

Here is my suggestion for you. They have this one room toward the back that we ended up in our first year there. I hated it! Felt like I wasn't enjoying the ambiance of this awesome restaurant. After that year, we got smart. Arrive 15-20 minutes or more before your reservation and let them know that you want seating near windows or at least in that section of the restaurant. I think they put large parties in the middle but still in the good part of the restaurant. Just let them know it is a special occasion and that you are willing to wait. I think you will be happy you did. You may call reservations and go ahead and put that in your dining request if possible.

I hope this helps. We just love this place and I think you will get your money's worth and enjoy every minute of your dining at O'Hanas.

Ohana is one of my fav's and a must-do every time I am at the World. Ohana serves you bread and salad followed by noodles, dumplings and veggies. Servers then continuously come around with skewers (think Brazilian steakhouse) featuring peel and eat shrimp, pork, chicken and steak. They provide you with great dipping sauces for the meats. This is all unlimited. You never have to get up for anything. The usual fountain drinks are included but alcohol is extra. Since your son will be turning 21, I would get him a Lapu Lapu. It is served in a pineapple and is very delicious. Your meal is topped off with banana bread pudding in fosters sauce for dessert.

Your family should really enjoy this dining experience.

I have a question too please.

Are walk ins a possibility at all? There's 6 of us going in August, but don't want to leave my cc number to make ADR online. Has Ohana's been extremely busy lately? Is there a wait list if you can't get a walk in? Thanks a bunch!

I have a question too please.

Are walk ins a possibility at all? There's 6 of us going in August, but don't want to leave my cc number to make ADR online. Has Ohana's been extremely busy lately? Is there a wait list if you can't get a walk in? Thanks a bunch!

Shrimp is not an appetizer. The appetizers are pork pot stickers and chicken wings and they are very good.

'OHana is one of the most popular restaurants in WDW. It is among the hardest ADR's to get. It is usually fully booked to capacity. There is no wait list. Because it is a character meal for breakfast, it requires a credit card guarantee and no shows pay a $10/person fee. For this reason there are very few no shows.
Your only chance of a walk in are the last minute cancellations, which are few and far between. If you really want to eat here you should try for an ADR

Along with "Sanaa" and "Kona" our FAVE WDW restaurant !!!!
Its a "must-do" every trip !!!

Enjoy !!!

Sorry about that. You are right, shrimp is not the appetizer, just two other things that I personally don't eat--that is why they are not seared into my brain;) Now that you mention it, the wings and pot stickers do ring a bell and are enjoyed by my family. I was thinking, does the broccoli have some snow peas in with it? I start getting my veggies and restaurants mixed up! Regardless, it is an incredible meal with tons of food.

Regarding the not wanting to leave the CC for a reservation. I would bite the bullet and do so. You can always call from Disney the week of if you chose not to dine there and there will be no charge. They are just trying to avoid a lot of no shows. But with that said, I think it will be harder and harder to get a walk in reservation. Make the reservation now, if possible!

Thanks for all the great info! Now I'm looking forward to it even more!
:)

We just dined at Ohana last night and it was as delicious as always. The salad was unbelievable-better than I remembered. Our vegetables were a mixture of broccoli, mushrooms, baby corn, snow peas and water chestnuts. Absolutely delicious. The shrimp is split and deveined just in the shell. You will love it. The chicken melts in your mouth. And the dessert is unbelievably good. This was our first time watching wishes from the restaurant (since we lucked into a perfect window seat with a 8:05 ressie - were seated around 8:15) and to be honest i was slightly disappointed. In the past we have walked down to the polynesian beach to watch and that is what i will do in the future. Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter