• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me about mardi gras

Ofinn

DCL Platinum
We will be at RPR for 4 nights after our Disney cruise. What can expect during Mardi gras. Is it easy to get in to see the bands? How about the parade? Is it Worth it?

We will be at RPR for 4 nights after our Disney cruise. What can expect during Mardi gras. Is it easy to get in to see the bands? How about the parade? Is it Worth it?
I really enjoy Mardi Gras and go as often as I can. The parade is fantastic and should not be missed...even if you don't care for the performer that night don't miss the parade. Depending on who's playing, the park can get very crowded and if you want to get a spot for the concert, you will need to get there early and stake out a spot. There are no seats for the concerts so its SRO (standing room only). Unfortunately, you will have to decide if you would rather see the parade or the concert close up. You can't really do both. There are large video screens and the sound system is excellent so if you aren't up close, it's not usually big deal. The concert listing should be released over the next few months so keep an eye out. I think two concerts have already been announced.

So, I had no idea that Universal did anything for Mardi Gras.. or that the celebration lasts for so long! I think my kids might enjoy a parade, although unless they have it another day besides Saturday while we're there then we will miss it. We arrive on a Saturday and leave on a Saturday!

I couldn't find a schedule on the website.. anyone have any idea what days/times besides Saturdays? It says Saturdays and select days, just no clue when those select days are! :joker:

We lived in Louisiana for 3 years! The kids were really little, so I don't know if they remember any of the parades we went to while there..

I couldn't find a schedule on the website.. anyone have any idea what days/times besides Saturdays? It says Saturdays and select days, just no clue when those select days are! :joker:
Saturday and Sunday mostly...sometimes a Friday but no other nights.

You definitely can't get up close to see the concerts and see the parade.the parade is always a must do as it's one of the most fun parades at any theme park,I literally probably have 30-40 pounds of beads collected at the Universal Mardi Gras parades over the years.For many of the concerts,especially the most popular ones there will be people lined up to get in hours ahead of time and I would say I have done that wait on several occasions,Chicago,Beach Boys and Frankie Valli if I remember correctly.

Saturday and Sunday mostly...sometimes a Friday but no other nights.

And even then, just Presidents Day weekend and generally whatever the busiest week in March looks to be. More or less a Saturday-only event.

In addition to the parade and the "main" concert, throughout the late afternoon the parade performers (many on stilts) walk around handing out beads and doing photo ops, while a local New Orleans band plays more traditional Mardi Gras music.

Has anybody heard any rumors as to why Mardi Gras is extending into May this year? Seemed odd to me.

Has anybody heard any rumors as to why Mardi Gras is extending into May this year? Seemed odd to me.
Doesn't matter to me...I love the idea of going to the concerts into late May. The weather will be nice and warm again by then.

My son and I went this past April for our first US Mardi Gras and had a blast! The parade is great...plenty of beads and the floats are spectacular!
For the parade, We positioned ourselves as close to the concert area as we could, but still front row on the street....and then slowly worked our way closer to the stage as people trickled away from the concert. By the time the last few songs were being performed, we were "only" about 10 rows from the stage!
The Cajun food/snacks were pretty good too! :)
We wanna go again soon, but he seems to be leaning towards a Halloween trip preference next fall instead...probably can't do both though.

Sorry, I'm not quite understanding what Mardi Gras is. I know its a parade, but is the parade at night or day? And I read that they shut down the rides during the parade? Is this true, and if so..why? Or is it an after hours park event? Sorry, just a little confused. :headache:

The parade is usually 30-45 minutes before the concert, in the evenings. It's the floats and performers going along the streets and tossing beads out while Mardi Gras music is playing. It's pretty high energy. The last float is a huge king gator, and they usually add or change up a few floats every year. They usually don't shut down the rides (although some like Mummy & Transformers will be difficult to get to with all the people there for the parade), sometimes the concert runs after close time.

I'm fairly sure the reason why it's lasting into May this year is because there is no summer concert series this year. Mainly because of Harry Potter/Diagon Alley opening up.

Sorry, I'm not quite understanding what Mardi Gras is. I know its a parade, but is the parade at night or day? And I read that they shut down the rides during the parade? Is this true, and if so..why? Or is it an after hours park event? Sorry, just a little confused. :headache:

The parade is usually held at park closing. Rides wont be open then. Concert starts about 30-45 minutes after the parade.

There are many past threads on Disboards that talk about Mardi Gras at Universal Studios Florida. Search for them and read, read, read. Not much changes year to year except dates and headline performers.

There are many past threads on Disboards that talk about Mardi Gras at Universal Studios Florida. Search for them and read, read, read. Not much changes year to year except dates and headline performers.

I did. But I didn't find the answer so that is why I asked. Thanks to those who posted an answer for me without being negative.

I did. But I didn't find the answer so that is why I asked. Thanks to those who posted an answer for me without being negative.

Since your search for Mardi Gras threads apparently came up lacking, here are 5 threads from the last 2 years with lots of info. Enjoy.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3063343

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3043273

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2882384

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2858003

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2854110

hydrotony wasn't being negative.
many posters will say searching for threads to obtain info is a good idea.

that way you can decide which info in the threads would pertain to your needs.

Has anyone used or know about the kids seating area for the parade? I know they have a seperate reserved section for them, but wasn't sure if it was a good location or better to get seating with everyone else. Also, how far in advance do we need to find spots (is it like Disney and have to hold a spot at least an hour for a good location)? There is a big headlining concert the night we are planning on attending so thought it might leave the parade route more open.

Has anyone used or know about the kids seating area for the parade? I know they have a seperate reserved section for them, but wasn't sure if it was a good location or better to get seating with everyone else. Also, how far in advance do we need to find spots (is it like Disney and have to hold a spot at least an hour for a good location)? There is a big headlining concert the night we are planning on attending so thought it might leave the parade route more open.
If there is a big headlining performers that night, the park will be very crowded. Parade spots fill up about 45 minutes before the parade. Since kids love to catch the beads, I would say an hour before the parade starts would be a good time to find a spot. The real problem with Mardi Gras is you can't have a good spot for the concert AND the parade...you have to choose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter