Tell me about late August

scootch

DIS Veteran
We have only gone in November... but we also fell in love with Disney Cruise Line. I can only take the girls out of school one week next year and we have chosen the Disney Cruise in Feb 2014. Now starting to think of going to WDW August 18-24. We know it will be super hot and chance for Hurricane, but is it totally miserable..??? or we will just be happy we got to do both WDW and DCL??

It's not miserable but it is very hot, if your a family that doesn't like the heat I wouldn't choose this time of year, if its something they can work with and won't mind then I say go for it. You also might be able to grab a good "late summer" promo depending what they offer and if it catches your dates but usually the late summer promo does cover around your dates so that could be a save also. Everyone always asks about hurricanes but nothings drastically hit Disney world in years, you might have some showers but nothing that will take days away grl you, when we've gone that time of year, many times, we have occasional showers for 30 mins off and on some days and then bright and sunny the next 30 minutes, we just continue along with our day, it's a nice cool off anyway :)

We will be going to Disney for our fourth August trip in a row.
It is HOT! It rains at some point everyday (usually in mid- afternoon).
But we love it!
It is easy to pack, no pants or long sleeve shirts necessary (just pack a poncho).
The last two years there have been some flight cancellations or delays if you are flying along the East Coast (due to hurricanes). I recommend some type of trip insurance for this time of year.

We went last August 22-26 and yes it was hot, but we don't mind the heat. We encountered one bad thunderstorm during that time, but luckily it was during dinner.

The crowds were low, and we got some much done. I would go that time again.

I really like late August. Crowds are moderate instead of packed. Yes, it's hot - but Disers know how to avoid long lines, so no need to stay out in the heat when your feeling too hot .... Just go to an A/C attraction. I'd much rather so thr than be chilly in the morning and again at night. I spent a couple of days in my winter coat in Feb... Much happier in shorts and sandals!

We really like late August also and the cruise prices for the last 2 weeks of August are usually excellent.

Last year was our first trip in late August. (We usually have gone early spring) I was suprised at how much we loved it. So much so that we are heading back this Aug! It is hot. It rains every day. We need to take breaks. However, the parks were open longer, we could swim every day, we did not need layers of clothes, water rides were awesome. It was a great trip!

We went late August last year and we loved it. The parks were not too crowded except MK felt crowded. It was HOT and HUMID though.

We've been in late August before and are headed there again this August. As previous posters have said, it is very HOT and humid, it will rain off and on, but if you're prepared for that, you'll be fine. We found crowds to be lower in late August due to school in the south already in session. We enjoy late August!:thumbsup2

Thanks everyone... just waiting on the school schedule to come out, but think we are going to go for it.

We've gone every month and honestly we like August. Yes it's warm, but if you prepare you won't have a problem. We order water from Costco, bring a cooler backpack to keep water cool. Purchase water fan/spray bottle at Walmart for $3. This year we're going to try to use Chill Towels.

We did late August and we loved it. Didn't mind the showers. They cooled us off! Yes super hot and you sweat places you did not know possible. But stay hydrated, sunscreened and you wil be fine. We were in the pool everyday at some point.

Our other trip was March Break. So crowded I swore never again. I will take the heat with less people any day.

We have only gone in November... but we also fell in love with Disney Cruise Line. I can only take the girls out of school one week next year and we have chosen the Disney Cruise in Feb 2014. Now starting to think of going to WDW August 18-24. We know it will be super hot and chance for Hurricane, but is it totally miserable..??? or we will just be happy we got to do both WDW and DCL??

Hot...Crowds get a little lighter since the local areas are back to school. Only mother nature can tell you if there will be a hurricane or bad weather. Not miserable. We actually enjoy the pools and the water parks in addition to the regular parks.

We've gone every month and honestly we like August. Yes it's warm, but if you prepare you won't have a problem. We order water from Costco, bring a cooler backpack to keep water cool. Purchase water fan/spray bottle at Walmart for $3. This year we're going to try to use Chill Towels.

We brought chill towels to the park last August. My husband always hung one around his neck. He loved them. He said they really helped keep him cool! Make sure you bring a ziplock bag to store them in when you are done.

We're both teachers, so we only go in August.

I LOVE it. The days are long and steamy, the parks are open forever, it's wonderful!!!!

Some things that make it manageable for us:
- We're at rope drop every day. We get all our heavy duty touring done during those first few hours.
- We go back to the resort for a swim every single afternoon, either before or just after lunch.
- We head back to the parks for a dinner ADR, then spend the evenings in the parks.

Things we bring:
- Mistymate personal misters. They're the size of an electric toothbrush and don't need a battery. They're a Godsend in the heat!
- ponchos. I like the Walmart ones better than the dollar store ones, since they pack 2 into a smaller package.
- I LIVE in my Teva Mush flip flops!!!
- I always place an order with www.gardengrocer.com . In addition to park snacks and breakfast stuff, I always get 2 cases of water. I make sure the room fridge is always well stocked, so at least the day starts off with cold wate for everyone.

My mother and I always go in late August, that's because it's probably the least crowded time of the summer, because in some states they already went back to school. Last year, we went right during hurricane Isaac, which meant almost everyday it rained. But don't fear, because the most it lasted was three hours. It kept even more people away, and made it less humid. There might be a chance a hurricane isn't coming. Just make sure you and your family stay hydrated and cool!
Hoped this helped!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter