• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me about Indiana Jones and Soaring rides

BensWife

DIS Veteran
I am a total wimp when it comes to rides. I get motion sick very easily, so I'm not sure what to do about these 2 rides. We did go to DLR in June, but we were with our 2 kids,my parents, and my brother and only there 2 days. We didn't get to ride much. I rode Pirates, Nemo, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, and the water one in CA (can't remember the name). I did fine with all those rides. My motion sickness is more from like watching fast motion on TV like a video game or car racing game. I will pass on Space Mountain. I know since it is in the dark and I need a frame of reference to look at if I do get a little queasy. Since it is just my DH and I going, I would hate for him to have to ride a lot of rides by himself. And no, I don't want to take any meds. I have a lot of allergies, so I don't want to take any medication - would rather just not ride. Anything you can tell me about these two rides would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

All I can base this on is my DH who gets motion sickness very easily. He goes on all of the rides you mentioned that you go on, except for Grizzly River Rapids at DCA. He went on Indy one time and that was more than enough for him. :sick: It is very jerky and bumpy. He has never tried Soarin' but I have read others who have posted that they are fine on it.

Soarin' is tame compared to Indiana Jones, I'm just hesitant to recommend it since you specifically mentioned that watching screens makes you sick, and that's the entire premise of the ride. Indiana Jones is quite jerky, so if you are highly prone to motion sickness, I guess I'd say it's a no for you.

If you do decide not to go on those two rides, Soarin' and Indy to have Single Rider Lines, so he could get a special pass from the CM at the entrance and would be able to essentially "cut in line" (the SRL is faster than the regular line and almost always faster than Fastpass). I do it all the time, as I go to the parks alone a lot!

Heya,

As others said, Indy is bumpy and has a few quick turns. If a lot of random rapid motion might set you off, stay away.

As for Soarin, can you handle Imax movies? It's basically an Imax movie where you sit on a bench that simulates a hang-glider. The ride itself doesn't really move, but the illusion of movement is strong.

Hope that helps.

Well I guess people have different perspctives. Indy is very jerky, but I don't think it would necessarily affect someone prone to motion-sickness... definitley not for people with bad necks or backs...

And Soarin' is a large screen and you do get the sense somewhat like a 3d experience, so it "might" affect you. I would say if you are moderately affected you might enjoy it, but if you are highly affected it may not be good. Maybe your DH should ride it by himself and then judge if you could handle it. It is a must-do ride if you can. Good luck and have a Magical Trip! :)

I can post about myself and you can use that to compare to yourself. My motion sickness feelings tend to be mild and most often manifest as slight nausea, headache, or an off feeling that can last minutes to hours.

Don't like Space Mountain. Too fast, too swoopy, and the lighting effects in the beginning cause that headache feeling. I get off that ride and feel unsteady and unhappy.
Star Tours. If I'm not careful, the visuals get to me, once again usually as a headache but sometimes as a slightly queasy feeling too. If I close my eyes during "lightspeed" and a few other parts though, I tend to come off that ride not feeling too bad.
Soarin' I would compare to Star Tours. I really like Soarin' though and function much better during and after that ride. There is really only one part that gives me trouble, and that is the traffic scene. It induces this pre-migraine headache type feeling. I've been on that ride so many times though that I know when to close and re-open my eyes just by the musical cues, so no problems anymore. You could probably get your DH to cue you by squeezing your hand if this scene might create a problem for you.

Indy never induces motion sickness feelings for me, but the ride experience isn't pleasant. Even my DH who loves coasters and all kinds of thrill rides refers to that one as rough and somewhat unpleasant in that respect. I kind of compare the roughness level to Matterhorn which I also find unpleasant. Indy is cool enough that I will brave it at least once per trip, but it makes my body ache and sometimes my neck and head. On the other hand, I really like Big Thunder and Grizzly and have no problems with those rides.
I won't ride Screamin' or Tower since I don't expect to feel very good on those rides. I still haven't gotten brave enough to face the drop on Splash since I don't like that rise out of my seat, stomach dropping feeling that I fear it creates.

BTW, DS10 who has been known to throw up during a 20 minute car ride if he eats the wrong thing or tries to read something does great on all of these rides (but hasn't nerved himself up yet for Screamin' or Tower).

which is one of my favorite rides ever! I haven't ridden Indy yet, but I got quite sick on Star Tours last time we were there. Go figure! Even the Roger Rabbit ride made me motion sick -- too jerky -- but Soarin' was absolutely smooth sailing for me, even w/ the screens. Good luck! I know how awful motion sickness is. I've had it some variation since childhood -- couldn't ride swings or stuff like Tea Cups -- but it has gotten worse in adulthood.

I get way way WAY motion sick on rides too, I won't do Space unless it is right before we leave so I can go to the hotel and lay down... With that being said, I honestly think you'll be fine on both.

Indi is my very favorite ride in the entire world. I don't think anything on it will make you sick. It does have turns and such, but it's not the kind that make you sick. I'm being totally honest, if you could go on Grizzly River, you will be fine. Grizzly makes me a little nauseated from all the spinning, so if you can handle that you will be totally fine. But about it jerking around, all I can say is hold on and make sure you are prepared for it and you'll be fine. I've been on Indi at least 100 times or more, and I still hold on tight every single time, and then the jerks don't bother me.

As for Soarin... Are you afraid of heights? I don't think you'd have to worry about motion sickness (it's nothing like Star Tours, or Back to the Future / Simpsons at Universal) but people who are afraid of heights sometimes freak out. But honestly I don't think you'd get sick. They have a breeze on you the entire time since you are "hang gliding" so that is nice.

From one motion sickness person to another...Do it!!!! :banana:

Soarin' is the best ride at California Adventure, I think. I am a total scaredy cat--and won't go on many rides that many people find tame. For this reason, I avoided Soarin for a few years, until I came here and many people told me it is not scary at all--and I finally got up the nerve to do it. I LOVED it, and wanted to go on it over and over. It is just so beautiful, serene, relaxing. I get car sick and sea sick, but never have from Soarin.

I wish I could tell you about Indiana Jones, but I haven't gotten the courage up to try that one. My husband says it is jerky, but not scary. I don't really like "jerky" rides, so for now I am staying off of it.

There is a part in the little pre-ride movie of Soarin' that says "if you have a fear of heights, this ride may not be for you...". This really scared me at first, because I am TOTALLY afraid of heights. But the seats lift up in one fell swoop, and the room is dark, and you really have no idea how high you are up because of that. I also buckle myself kid style (which my husband thinks is funny)--with the strap between my legs. Anyone can do it, and it just gives you that added measure of feeling secure.

I hope it works out for you to try these two rides as they are two of the top rides at DLR.

I get sick on Star Tours type rides - motion simulators. I can handle GRR and mild spinning rides. Intense spinning makes me sick.

Soarin is so gentle and peaceful - IMO nothing like Star Tours. It is more like just watching a movie.

When I first rode Indy many years ago I did not like it. It was very rough and jerky and not for someone with a bad back or neck. But motion sickness on Indy? That does not make sense to me. After a few times on Indy I started to appreciate the rough, jerky ride and now it is one of my favorites at DLR. Totally immersive.

Since these rides are so good you may want to do what others do and try them at the end of the day or something so that if they do affect you then you can straight back to your hotel. But motion sickness reports on these two rides seem very rare.

I, too, suffer from motion sickness. I didn't have this problem until about 2 years ago! I take a motion sickness herbal blend (mainly ginger) before heading to the parks.

I didn't have any problems at DLR. I have serious issues with heights, but I can handle Soarin'. But, I've been riding it for a long time! A few years ago, through, I did even use the crotch strap that they have for the shorter kids. It made me feel better. But I've gotten over that.

Like others have said, Indy is a jerky ride, and I like it (I don't like Dinosaur in WDW, which has the same ride technology). It's not one that I would think would promote motion sickness.

I love Indy, never get sick. Strangely, every time I ride Soarin' I have a different, unpredictable reaction. Two times I went, no problem. But the last two times I've done it (about a year apart), my hands got sweaty and I felt like I was having a panic attack. I've been told to look to the side of the screen and at other people, and the feeling will dissipate. I'll probably ride it on my August trip and close my eyes if I start to get anxious. If it happens again, I may have to say so long to Soarin'.

Well the ones that "get" me everytime are Space & Star Tours. I can do Soarin' over and over and over and over and over and......you get the idea. :) Indy I don't do right after I've eaten or if I've just been on Space but otherwise it's fine. Indy is jerky and rough but no motion sickness for me. I would say if you can do Star Tours you can do both Soarin' and Indy. :)

Edited to add that we like to ride Soarin' in the middle row (row 2) of the middle section (there are 3 sections), that way I have feet above me and I can orient myself if I feel the need to do so. I was very nervous the first time I rode Soarin', I'm terrified of heights, but with the feet above me it's not an issue at all. :) I just don't look down and I ask the kids not to lean forward in their seats. :)

Indy is very jerky, but I don't think it would necessarily affect someone prone to motion-sickness...

Indi is my very favorite ride in the entire world. I don't think anything on it will make you sick. It does have turns and such, but it's not the kind that make you sick.

But motion sickness on Indy? That does not make sense to me.

Trust me, it can happen! DH gets sick VERY easily though, so for the average person with motion sickness, I am sure they would be fine. DH got sick going on a water slide once. He also felt a little sick after TSMM because of the sharp turns the cars make when they go to the next scene...You should have seen him after the bus ride we took, in the dark winding around the mountains to get to Whistler. I have heard the expression that someone "was green", but never actually witnessed it. :sick:

After reading the online Disney boards for years I have found that there are so many different triggers and kinds of motion sickness it is hard to compare between people.
I get sick on loads of things. Spinners, coasters and simulators. Indiana Jones does make me somewhat sick. Generally I go on it once per trip, sometimes two times. I can be a bit dazed afterward or somewhat sick.
Soarin' is easier for me. Most of it is fine and soean't cause trouble. There is a part in the beginning at Yosemite where the camera tilts sideways and it is a bit nauseating and then toward the end over the aircraft carriers it gets bad for a few seconds but on Soarin' you can just close your eyes on those parts. :)

My son virtually gets sick on any motion ride and when we drive down he sleeps most of the way. These two rides do not seem to bother him much for some reason, but put him on Space and watch out. We do have him use transderm-scop when we figure it will be a day with coasters and ST.

Jack

I think Soarin has a warning not to ride if you're prone to motion sickness. People in my party with fear of heights found it a little intense at first. My daughter gets motion sickness on Star Tours and Space Mtn but is ok on Soarin and Indy. I think you just never know.

My son virtually gets sick on any motion ride and when we drive down he sleeps most of the way. These two rides do not seem to bother him much for some reason, but put him on Space and watch out. We do have him use transderm-scop when we figure it will be a day with coasters and ST.

Jack

Yes, my daughter gets sick on Space Mountain and Star Tours, too! The worst time was when my husband took her on Space Mountain for the first ride of the day and she was sick for almost the entire rest of the day! What a bummer!!

Star Tours is one of those rides that seems so innocent, but I never feel good after riding it. I am not really a fan of that ride.

I think with Space Mountain, it is because you can't see where you are going--and that is why people tend to get sick on it.

I get motion sickness easily as well - I need to either drive or be in the front seat of a car, and even being in the passenger seat sometimes gives me a woozy feeling.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I avoid Soaring and Indy, as well as BTMRR, and of course tea cups.

There is honestly no way to know how you will handle the rides. Each person is different and the way we all handle vertigo, height, movement etc all changes according to how our inner ear is build(along with what you are used to).
I've grown as an adult getting motion sickness very easily in vehicles as well as any rides that spins etc(and I work as a paramedic where I have to sit backwards without watching the road!). The way I handle the rides is different practically every time I go there. Sometimes i'm fine all ride and other times I can't watch the merry go round without wanting to toss my cookies.

Pack some non-drowsy anti nausea pills and go have fun. The only way to find out is to try it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter