Tell me about Harmony Barber Shop

g8torphan

Mouseketeer
Thinking of getting a trim for my 3yo DS when we go, but since it isn't his "first haircut" not sure if it will still be worth it...

Thoughts?

We got my son's hair cut at Harmony Barber Shop on our last trip in 2009. He was 12! It was a great experience! The barber was friendly, you can't beat the atmosphere, and they offered him a little sprinkling of "pixie dust" when he was finished! Although he didn't opt for the glitter, his little brother did. It was a lot of fun all around and I think it was only $15.

WednesdayMK-Disney200993.jpg

WednesdayMK-Disney200994.jpg

We always get DS's hair cut at the barber shop. But it's a novelty because I cut both DS and DH's hair at home. We got his first haircut there and he's had one since, and now in May we have another appointment for him and for his little brother (who is getting his first hair cut!).

They used to do colored gel mickeys in the back of their heads, but I guess the gel company went out of business or something.

Both my girls (4 and 2) got first haircuts at Harmony Barbershop in September, but there was a little boy there when we arrived and it was not his first-ever haircut. They were being so nice and gentle with him, exactly the same as they acted with my girls. He got stickers and was playing with a light-up toy, just like my 2yo.

The older gentleman who cut DH's hair (after he finished with the little boy) even jokingly asked if he wanted some stickers or glitter.

All three of them were super nice, the atmosphere was great, and the baby enjoyed watching Main Street through the window while we were waiting. Renee took my 4yo and Norma did my 2yo. Norma was from South America ... maybe Chile? I can't remember for sure. And took a long time whispering back and forth with her to make sure she was pronouncing her name right. And my dd is a very shy 2yo (thus the whispering) but she repeated her name several times for Norma (shocked mom here!) and was smiling and giggling by the time they were done talking. I can't imagine that was just because it was her first haircut; Norma's just a nice person all the time. :)

And they both made triple sure they understood what I wanted before they started cutting.

I think we're going back next time even though it won't be for "first haircuts". It was just a great experience for all of us. Lots of CMs commented on their glitter, too. "I see you got a haircut at the barbershop! It looks beautiful, princess!"

We didn't do haircuts since we did that just before vacation but we did schedule an appointment to get decorated. The boys got to choose colors/style and whether they wanted sprinkles or not

057_zps844a1b04.jpg

they also got Mickey heads in the back (this is one of my favorite pictures! We caught the parade exiting the park)

DSC03368_zps0f6326d9.jpg

I think it was only $15 for both boys and a fun memory for us all so yes, I would say it's worth a stop!

One important thing to remember at the MK Barber Shop. When they removed the old antique cash register and put in a terminal to allow use of credit cards and hotel charges and the like they hooked into The Emporium's network. The register, unlike ones in table service restaurants, cannot handle tips as part of the transaction.

So if you are planning on using the Harmony Barber Shop please be aware that if you are using any sort of card you cannot add a tip on the card and should have cash available for tipping.

We didn't do haircuts since we did that just before vacation but we did schedule an appointment to get decorated. The boys got to choose colors/style and whether they wanted sprinkles or not

*snip*

What a great picture! Does anyone happen to know if those fun colors would work as well on very dark hair?

kschafer said:

they also got Mickey heads in the back (this is one of my favorite pictures! We caught the parade exiting the park)

I think it was only $15 for both boys and a fun memory for us all so yes, I would say it's worth a stop!

Looks great! When did you get these done? I didn't even look into it for my son bc I heard they stopped doing the colors last summer/fall...

What a great picture! Does anyone happen to know if those fun colors would work as well on very dark hair?

I would think so, they actually mixed the colors with white for my kids because they said it would be easier to wash out and not stain their hair.

Looks great! When did you get these done? I didn't even look into it for my son bc I heard they stopped doing the colors last summer/fall...

OH NO!! This was in 2011. What a shame it would be if they did stop this! :guilty: It was a great option for boys who wanted a little Disney magic!

DD has only had her hair cut there! She loves it :goodvibes she usually has it cut and put up. They do a really good job :thumbsup2

In December they weren't doing the coloured gels - that stuff was horrible it stained so badly and took forever to get out.

My boys used to get their hair cut at Harmony Barber Shop every trip, they got colored gel and pixie dust, which brought a lot of attention throughout the day. Hook accused my DS of being Peter Pans spy because his hair was green that year.
I had heard that colored gel was no longer available from the manufacturer, if that's true, it's sad because the colors were part of the reason we went.

My boys are 14 and 19 now, so we don't go to the barber shop anymore, but I highly recommend it to everyone.

I made my 1 year old a reservation for her FIRST hair cut when we go in April!I think it is such a special place to say you had your first hair cut :) Not to mention the 'first haircut' package is a great deal--it includes hair cut and Mickey ears!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter