• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell Me About Greece

Diane0977

Mouseketeer
Since this group has become my source for all things ABD, I thought I'd reach out and ask for some opinions on the Greece tour. We were actually all set to reserve Italy, but we've decided that we like the mix of activity and history in the Greek tour. It would be myself and my husband, and our two kids ages 9 and 7. We did Arizona and Utah this summer and the kids did great, however I realize international travel is a completely different ballgame. Looking at mid-June for the date. Thanks for your thoughts and advice, I really haven't been able to find much in the way of reviews out there, so any information you would be willing to share will be helpful.

I did the Greece ABD last year (and I'm sadly aware I never finished my Trip Report. I will!)

It is a FABULOUS trip! I really, really loved that ABD! It's a wonderful mix of history and activity. The food is excellent, and the hotels (especially the one on Crete) are very nice. I was there late May/early June, and the weather was still pretty nice at that point, not too hot. I highly recommend it. Feel free to ask me any questions you have!

Sayhello

My wife and I are going on the Greek Odyssey tour next week. Although it is an "adults only" trip, I should be able to give you some thoughts when we get back in October. Everyone I know who have been to Greece say it is amazing. We did the Viva Italia trip 4 years ago, so I am very very excited to see how they compare.

My wife and I are going on the Greek Odyssey tour next week. Although it is an "adults only" trip, I should be able to give you some thoughts when we get back in October. Everyone I know who have been to Greece say it is amazing. We did the Viva Italia trip 4 years ago, so I am very very excited to see how they compare.
Enjoy!!! You're gonna *love* Greece! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

Thanks for the input. I think we'll be happy with less museums, and I'm feeling more comfortable about making the switch from Italy to Greece. The hotels look amazing.

Sayhello, I read the part of your trip report that you've got up. It has been very helpful, and I look forward to reading the rest of it once you've finished...I definitely know how time-consuming they are; I've been trying to finish my Arizona/Utah one! I'll definitely let you know as I come up with specific questions.

Bronxboy52, I am looking forward to hearing your input regarding Greece as well. I'll appreciate your comparison between the Italy and Greece trips, as that's the decision we're trying to make right now.

I did the Greece trip the first year. It was awesome. All the hotels are great but the best is in Crete.you need to look at the time of year you are going. The volcano walk can be very HOT. The food is the best I have every had, all home made not processed food. All olive oil not butter. Great balance of history and museums. You will thoroughly enjoy this trip.

I did the Greek ABD in 2012 and loved it. To date, it's my favorite ABD. The food and hotels are great! I flew in a day early, which gave me 1.5 days to sightsee before the ABD started. I also flew back to Athens for one night after the tour ended. Doing the post night in Athens was cheaper than doing it in Crete and I could visit the final things on my list. I went in June/July and it was hot, but no hotter than it usually gets in the south in the summer.

Well, we booked it. Me (Diane), hubby Shawn, kids age 7 and 9 for the 7/28/15 trip! Yay!

Well, we booked it. Me (Diane), hubby Shawn, kids age 7 and 9 for the 7/28/15 trip! Yay!
Congrats! I've added you to the Roll Call on the first post of the Meets Thread for the Greece trip.

Just to let you know, after reading your Arizona & Utah Trip Report, Arizona & Utah was the first ABD I did, and was my favorite for a long time -- until I took the Greece trip! The Greece trip was the first trip that was able to push it's way past Arizona & Utah to first place! :thumbsup2 I really think you're going to love it!

Sayhello

I look forward to hearing all about it, as I have my eye on that one and Germany for our next adventure!

We must think alike! We are doing arizona/ utah this summer and I'm trying to decide between Germany/Greece or Italy for me and dd(7h:cool1:

Maybe our DDs will meet some day! I'm leaning toward Germany right now, thinking that DD may get a little more from the Greece trip when she's a little older and has more exposure to history/mythology. We were on a DCL Med cruise this past summer and really enjoyed Italy. You can't go wrong!

We must think alike! We are doing arizona/ utah this summer and I'm trying to decide between Germany/Greece or Italy for me and dd(7h:cool1:

Maybe our DDs will meet some day! I'm leaning toward Germany right now, thinking that DD may get a little more from the Greece trip when she's a little older and has more exposure to history/mythology. We were on a DCL Med cruise this past summer and really enjoyed Italy. You can't go wrong!

I was thinking the same thing about Germany, plus the flight to get to/from Greece look pretty daunting. We can get a direct flight to Germany. I think my daughter would enjoy getting to stay in a castle. :)
Greece sure does look awesome tho!!
I looked at those med cruises too, just really love the ABD itineraries.
Too may decisions!
Can't wait to hear how you and your daughter like the Arizona/ Utah trip.

My wife and I just got back from the "Adults Only" Greek Odyssey. This was the 3rd ABD trip we took. We also took the Viva Italia and the Cowboys and Canyons trips. We had a great time. There were 27 members of the group and our Guides, Landon and Mary were awesome. They catered to our every whim (however bizarre they were!). Mary, who is a native Athenian and a history teacher was a walking encyclopedia. I learned more about Greek history and culture in 9 days with her than I did in 2 semesters in college.
Anyone who is thinking of this trip should be prepared to do a lot of walking. There are no flat surfaces in Greece. Everything is either uphill or downhill. It was great exercise, which helped offset all the food you eat!.The food was universally amazing and there was lots of it.
The hotels are really nice, particularly the Porto Elounda on Crete. The views are spectacular and the service impeccable. The level of the hotels got better with each portion of the trip.
Regarding the specifics of the trip itself, the general consensus about Athens was that it was a bit disappointing. You can see the lingering effects of the economic troubles Greece had 4-5 years ago. There are many vacant store fronts and graffiti is a problem. The historical sites were quite interesting, although many of them have been subject to "recycling" over the years (the materials have been appropriated for other purposes). We particularly enjoyed the visit to the Oracle at Delphi.
The flight to Santorini was uneventful. Santorini is one of the prettiest places on earth. If you have ever seen a postcard of Santorini, you will know what I mean. Upon arrival we had lunch and a wine tasting at a local winery. the food was great and the wine excellent. After lunch, we all stomped grapes, to get an idea of how things used to be done. It was really fun! The 2nd day, we took a boat to Thirasia, and walked up to the top of a dormant volcano (about 400 feet). The views were spectacular and helped us work up an appetite for lunch at a local taverna. For those so inclined, there was an opportunity to swim in the Mediterranean. The final day on Santorini involved a visit to Minoan ruins at Akrotiri, which were 4-5000 years old. It was incredibly fascinating to see how advance a civilization they were. Unfortunately, mother nature had other plans and the site was wiped out by a huge flood. A trip to a local beach (absolutely the clearest and bluest water I have ever seen) and lunch at a local taverna, and we were ready to take the 2-hour ferry ride to Crete. {more to come on the Crete part of the trip}

Bronxboy52, so glad you enjoyed the Greece trip! I totally loved it. Landon was one of my Guides, too (it was my second time with him as a Guide.) Loved him (and Elena, our Greek Guide).

I agree with everything you said so far, except I loved Athens. I agree the area the hotel was in was a little sad because of the vacant store fronts & graffiti, which we were told was Hooligan (soccer) graffiti, not gang graffiti. But once you got out of that area, Athens was beautiful and vibrant. Certainly not as gorgeous as the Islands, but quite nice. :)

Santorini and Crete were totally spectacular, so it's hard to compare to Athens. I also loved the Porto Elounda. I could have stayed there for a MUCH longer time! (If I could have afforded it!)

Looking forward to the rest of your impressions.

Sayhello

Thanks for your thoughts on Athens. i guess maybe we should have explored it a bit more. My wife and I adored Crete. Porto Elounda Spa and Golf Resort is unreal. From the attentiveness of the staff, to the rooms, to the spectacular views from the terrace, it was nearly perfect. We decided to add on an extra night there. It was a bit pricey, but well worth it. After all the travelling and walking during the tour, we needed an extra day to "de-compress" before we returned to the "real world"! We had a leisurely breakfast, which was amazing and hung out at the beach and soaked in the sheer beauty of the resort.
The activities on Crete were great. I really liked the visit to Knossos and Spinalonga. As usual the restaurants were awesome and the food plentiful. the only thing I could not get used to was the cats running around inside the dining rooms, whether at a local taverna, or a fancy hotel restaurant. I understand why they are there, but it was a bit hard to get used to.
The trip to Arolithos was pretty cool and everyone enjoyed the Tsatziki making and the gourmet lunch there. I am still trying to master the art of twirling the komboloi around twice and catching it. I can do it with a yo-yo, but not the beads!
The visit on the last day to Bizariano and the cheese-pie making demonstration was also a lot of fun. The Cretans were so welcoming and did everything they could to make you feel at home, including keeping the raki glasses filled. That stuff is wild.
Of course, our farewell dinner was tremendous, although a bit sad, since we really had a wonderful group and all became fast friends. The entertainment was fantastic (seems I have used that work or a variation thereof many times)! We all got up and danced and watched the photo montage that Landon and Mary put together.
All in all it was a marvelous experience and one that I would highly recommend. I would also recommend that anyone going on the Odyssey go on a diet before the trip, since you will inevitably put on some weight eating all the delicious and plentiful food.:cool1::thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter