• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me about Georgia- change in area, now looking SW of Atlanta

phorsenuf

Not so New Rule author
My husband has been kicking around a job opportunity in Georgia. Neither one of us are gung-ho about moving there as we love where we are now, but he hates his job. Because of the nature of the job we are a little flexible about where we can land. He's thinking right now about 50 miles north east of Atlanta. Driving into Atlanta is not a concern as he wouldn't need to commute there daily.

So, any areas you would recommend we check out. Schools are not a concern as it's just my husband and I.

***My husband was able to see a systems map and he thinks SW of Atlanta would probably be better.

I live in Cartersville. About 20-30minutes northeast of Atlanta depending on what part you're going to. We may complain about being from a small town, but anytime we leave we can't wait to get back. This place is homey. You can live on the outskirts or in town. We love it. It's definitely a quiet, quaint town. But you can always find what you need. And there's experiences for all different ages. Always something going on downtown. We have a great farmer's market, great shopping, great restaurants. And your close enough to have city nightlife of Kennesaw, Marietta, and Atlanta. Everyone is very nice! I can honestly say, there's no place I'd rather be.

I live in Cartersville. About 20-30minutes northeast of Atlanta depending on what part you're going to. We may complain about being from a small town, but anytime we leave we can't wait to get back. This place is homey. You can live on the outskirts or in town. We love it. It's definitely a quiet, quaint town. But you can always find what you need. And there's experiences for all different ages. Always something going on downtown. We have a great farmer's market, great shopping, great restaurants. And your close enough to have city nightlife of Kennesaw, Marietta, and Atlanta. Everyone is very nice! I can honestly say, there's no place I'd rather be.

JessieLou, Catersville is NorthWEST of Atlanta!

OP, for Northeast you are looking at Buford, Lake Lanier, Gainesville.

I live closer to Buford and it's very nice there. Lake Lanier has expensive homes on the lake but also nice areas not on the water directly. I don't know too much about Gainesville.

The weather in Georgia is great. We do have 4 seasons as opposed to FL. The fall in North Georgia mountains is beautiful.

I'm pretty sure there's a midnight train that goes there

Monroe is another possiblity. My husband has friends who live out there and love it. It's further out than I'd want to be, but DH's friend commutes to Atlanta on a daily basis, so I guess it can't be that bad. I believe housing prices there are very reasonable.

ETA, I just googled the distance from Monroe to Atlanta and it's 46 miles, so within your range.

Oh, also check out Braselton near Chateau Elan - it is supposed to be a very nice area.

We lived in Athens for 6 years, and while that's farther out than you'd probably like, I feel like I have some insight to the surrounding area.

We have friends in Acworth, and it seems to be a very nice area. Housing costs are reasonable, and it's well north of the city. I'd probably start there or Cobb county.

I really miss living near Atlanta. There is anything and everything to occupy a family, yet you can live in the "country". People are generally very nice.

No one has mentioned the college Hope scholarship plan. I see pictures of children in your signature so I assume this would interest you. I am paying out of state tuition for the University of Georgia and am so envious of those with that benefit. UGA is a great school and Athens is fantastic college town. We love our visits.

Thanks so much for all the input so far. I'll check out the areas for sure. I did look up some rental homes in the mentioned areas and things seem quite reasonable!

No one has mentioned the college Hope scholarship plan. I see pictures of children in your signature so I assume this would interest you. I am paying out of state tuition for the University of Georgia and am so envious of those with that benefit. UGA is a great school and Athens is fantastic college town. We love our visits.

The little guy in my signature is my grandson so we don't need to be concerned about schools thankfully. All my kids are grown and on their own. <sniff sniff>

My husband has been kicking around a job opportunity in Georgia. Neither one of us are gung-ho about moving there as we love where we are now, but he hates his job. Because of the nature of the job we are a little flexible about where we can land. He's thinking right now about 50 miles north east of Atlanta. Driving into Atlanta is not a concern as he wouldn't need to commute there daily.

So, any areas you would recommend we check out. Schools are not a concern as it's just my husband and I.

Just be aware - when we drive down to WDW using route 95, it's always pouring in Georgia, and it smells funny. Anyone know what that smell comes from? Wood pulp/swamp gas comes to mind for me.

Just be aware - when we drive down to WDW using route 95, it's always pouring in Georgia, and it smells funny. Anyone know what that smell comes from? Wood pulp/swamp gas comes to mind for me.

Paper mill. Only by the coast in SW Georgia, though. Nowhere near Atlanta or NE of it!

I don't know Jack about Georgia except that I spend a week in Macon last year and it was just gorgeous. We were surprised on what the town had to offer and how nice everyone was there to us Angelinos.

I'm a Georgia native and have lived in Woodstock, Ga for about 8 yrs. It's about 40 miles north, north east of Atlanta.
I can try to help you with any specific questions you may have. I love Georgia and am quite biased.

Oh and not sure where your DH will be driving to for work, but fyi ga 400 in the morning and evening commute is absolutely miserable. So I would avoid that if at all possible.

Georgia has some of the worst drivers in the nation. I have lived all over and I seriously do not understand how such a large concentration of TERRIBLE drivers moved into one area.

I live just outside of Atlanta. If the posted speed limit is 70 everyone will be going 80-90. Rarely do I see people using blinkers on the freeway, instead they like to fly up on your bumper and then whip around you. Regardless of if there is anyone in any other lane around you. On regular streets be prepared to be perpetually tailgated. Rear-end collisions are extremely common. Oh and my favorite thing is the amount of people who think it is ok (legal?) to make a left hand turn into a shopping center or parking lot from the right hand lane on a two lane street. No turn signal, they just cut across in front of you. Not kidding. I see it everyday!!!

Other than the over abundance of trees - I like trees I do, but talk about claustrophobia - the people are very friendly round these parts and there is a ton of things always happening in ATL. Been here less than a year and other than dealing with the drivers and traffic, I really like it!

I'm a Georgia native and have lived in Woodstock, Ga for about 8 yrs. It's about 40 miles north, north east of Atlanta.
I can try to help you with any specific questions you may have. I love Georgia and am quite biased.

Isn't Woodstock NW of Atlanta?

Ok, I know you said northeast of Atlanta, but I'm going to suggest two areas. One is west and one is south. Carrollton and Newnan, probably more Newnan would fit what you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter