Tell me about early March...

sandym718

DIS Veteran
After much discussion and research, it looks like we'll be going in March 2011 as opposed to May as I had hoped (testing at school, sports, DH's farming - all are May issues). So, we're looking at the beginning of March - either Feb. 26-March 5 or March 5-12. Wondering about crowds, weather, any other considerations.

DD's bday is March 1st, so we were thinking the first week, she'd love it, but a couple things holding me back: The kids would only go to school for 3 days after a 4-day President's day weekend and then miss 6 days; Touring plans has Sunday, Feb. 27 (first park day) as an "8" (rest of the days are 4's). We also want the warmest weather possible - we'd like to do a water park and the kids love to swim everyday, so as many as possible would be great. Wondering if waiting an extra week would help the temps just a bit.

How does Mardi Gras affect things? It is March 8th next year. Touring plans has that day as a 6 and also our first Sunday (6th), rest are 4's. Sounds like crowds will be similar other than that first day. Also thinking we'd see more of the Flower and Garden Festival going the 2nd week.

Any thoughts? Tell me all your March "positives" too - as I was really hoping May. I keep telling myself it will be a great late winter/early spring getaway from cold Ohio. Especially with the kids' spring break coming so late (after Easter - April 24th), I think it would be a nice break!

We were just there 2/28 - 3/5.....first and foremost, I will tell you, it was COLD. Like, 30's in the morning and a couple days it didn't get out of the 50's in the afternoon. But, cold weather aside, I couldn't have asked for a better vacation - the resort was empty, we were almost always the only ones on the buses first thing in the morning and the parks were wonderful. I'd go again next year the same week in a heartbeat if we could!

Edited to add: We were only able to swim one day (we had one day at 70 degrees), the other days were way too cold. Also, as I understand it I think the water parks were closed during this time for refurbishments. I could not imagine having spent a day at a water park - it was that cold! But honestly, this has been a horrible winter in Florida, and that doesn't mean 2011 will be as cold. The week after we left, it warmed up into the mid 70's I think.

We were just there 3/3 to 3/7. Parks were virtually empty, until the 7th, but boy, was it cold. BF wore his heavy fall jacket the whole week. I bought a sweatshirt at AK the first day that I wore most of the trip.

That all being said, it was worth the trade-off to have NO lines for any ride, especially considering what people are going through this week. We're headed back 3/6/11. :cheer2:

We have went the 1st week of March for 7 years running. It is normally a fantastic time to go. The spring break crowds haven't started yet which means the parks are relatively slow. We get at least 3-4 days that are warm enough for the water parks. We are in short sleeve shirts & shorts usually every day. Sometimes, we need a sweatshirt in the evening. This year was definitely a fluke in the weather. We wore long sleeve shirts, with fleece vests and jackets most days. This was more than I have ever worn at the same time during this week.

The week-end that we leave (end of 1st week of March) is usually much busier. The spring break crowds start at this time. The lines already are quite a lot longer.

In my opinion if you are choosing between the two weeks, the 1st week is the better of the two.

I was there from March 9-13. Crowds were relatively low most of the time. I left on the 13, when the spring break crowds were supposed to start getting there, so there was a big jump in the crowd level predictions after the 12.

It was warm enough to swim all the days I was there (high's in the low 80's). But as PP's mentioned, one week before that it was too cold. So weather wise, it's unpredictable as to whether you will be able to swim next year at the same time.

Either one of the set of dates you mentioned should be good crowd-wise. I think it's a good time of the year to go as long you can get in that time between President's Day and when the spring break crowds start.

But you will be taking a risk with the swimming and water parks.

Thank you everyone (even you twokids, LOL ;) ) I know this COLD winter FL has had makes me soooo nervous about it for next year. I'd much prefer May, we know it will be warm. But I keep trying to tell myself...what are the chances of 2 years in a row like that, right? Love the reports of low crowds!

I was just their march 5-14 I would go again and we just missed bad weather. Crowds weather was excellent and the flower show was going on

I agree with Disney Yooper. My family has been the first or second week of March every year since 2000 and this is the first year it has been cold. Usually it is high 70s or even 80s. And the crowds are never crowded. I have never seen the crowds affected by Mardi Gras unless you want to stay at Port Orleans French Quarter where the Mardi Gras theme makes it an obvious choice for some. The International Flower and Garden Festival will be starting on 3/4/11 but I do not think that really affects crowds either and it is so beautiful to see. Have fun and maybe we will see you down there.

We were there last week - we usually go in February, but were in Clearwater for a few days and decided to add Disney March 10-14. We had been in early/mid March a couple times before and thought the weather was great and the crowds were manageable. This year, of course, it was a little cooler, which was fine. (Cool is OK with us - although that rain last week was a challenge!)

This time, we thought the weekday crowds were fine, but the weekend crowds were definitely heavier - especially on Saturday night at MK (packed) and Sunday at DHS (cheerleaders). We just used FP and rider swap, so all was well on the rides - it was just more difficult getting around the crowds in the parks. Also, it made the atmosphere at MK different - a parent was very angry (yelling) at CMs at Liberty Tree last Saturday night - silenced the restaurant. I've never seen anything like that at WDW before.

So I'd suggest the earlier in March, the better!

P.S. Our friends just went in late February this year, and loved it - so another vote for that Feb. 26 arrival date plan!

The International Flower and Garden Festival will be starting on 3/4/11 but I do not think that really affects crowds either and it is so beautiful to see.

Thank you, I had not seen the start date. That makes me lean towards Mar. 5-12, as otherwise the 4th would be our last park date and we might not get to see it. Having gone in May twice, it's something we do really like. Still debating though....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter