Tell me about Disney in November

Rylee

DIS Veteran
We have been to the World, many times during Feb., April, May, and went once during each, July and August.

Tell me what it is like in Nov., the week before, during and/or after Thanksgiving.

How are the crowds?

What is the weather like? Average temp? Rainfall? Will the kids be able to enjoy the pools?

Is this the time of year they have holiday pricing in effect for some restaurants?

Any special events or happenings at this time?

Have you been able to get good airfare? Is it really a nightmare to travel (fly) around Thanksgiving?

Thank you. Any imput is appreciated.

week before, during and/or after Thanksgiving.

I've been the week after Thanksgiving (2007), and found EMHs to be crowded, but regular park days were just fine.

Weather's great (it might be chilly, but pools are heated and Orlando often hits 80+ degrees in November), and travel (airfare) was fine at the time. Hopefully it'll be lower this year due to the economic strain.

November is a great time to visit, as you can often catch either the tail end of the Food and Wine Festival in Epcot, or the beginning of the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party dates. Also, end of November gives you access to all the great holiday decorations in the parks and resorts :love: :santa: .

One of my favorite months...have fun!

In one word...awesome! We went the week after Thanksgiving 2007. We actually arrived on the Friday after Thanksgiving and stayed till the following Sat. The crowds were so light. The Christmas decorations were up. We attended MVMCP. It did not rain once the entire week we were there. We swam on two different days. We wore shorts and t-shirts during the day and just put on sweatshirts at night. It was the best experience we have had there!

I would LOVE to do that week every year, but I now have a ds in middle school and I really don't want him missing that many days for vacation. It really was a terrific trip! Enjoy it!

We went the week after Thanksgiving, November 30-December 6, 2008, and loved every minute of it. The weather was a bit cooler but we would actually prefer that to 95 degrees in the parks. It never rained the entire time we were there ~ except for once during the night. We loved the all the decorations and the crowds were tolerable for the most part. We will definitely go again during that time frame! :thumbsup2

We went and the weather was perfect. Upper 60's and 70's during the day and the crowds did nto get bad until Wewdnesday.

If you go before Thanksgiving you won't have too much of the holiday fare but the park crowds will be very manageable.

I never hear anything good about the crowds for Thanksgiving week; we stay away from it. Also, you won't get any kind of a deal from Disney to stay there that week.

The week after Thanksgiving is probably the best from what you stated. You should be able to get a deal from Disney and the crowd level will be ok. You will get the holiday fare, too which is my favorite time of the year at Disney World.

We went the week prior to Thanksgiving in 2006. It was perfect, hit 80 degrees most days and the ones it didn’t it was high 70s. Nights were comfortable, DW needed a sweatshirt some nights, but DS9 (at the time) and I were fine with short sleeves. Crowds were perfect. Longest wait was maybe 20-25 mins one time for Test Track, otherwise the wait was far less – we did use Fastpass some times. Times could vary year by year, but I wouldn’t hesitate to go back at this time. Some EMH nights we got to stay on rides for several spins around. Big Thunder Mtn we stayed on 4 times before having to get off because someone was waiting in our stall. Walked on to several rides like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Stitch, ToT. Everest we could walk up and wait for the train to return and get right on. This was great wait wise, but I noticed we missed out on seeing some of the theming the rides offer for the lines. Overall we thought it was a great time to go. Rained one morning, but that was no big deal. It was early enough that it didn’t interfere with going to the parks. DS is now in Middle School so we really want to keep it around school vacation times so we won’t be missing that much school again for a while, but if you can do it I say go at that time. The week between Veteran’s Day (and Jersey Week) and Thanksgiving was perfect. Bus waits were real short as well and we hardly ever had a full bus. I think I had to stand maybe twice the whole week. All the Christmas decorations were up and we attended MVMCP while there as well. it was a lot of fun.

Our stay in 2006 covered the period you describe.
Crowds on Thanksgiving were crazy (picked Epcot). Close to the holiday, they were pretty busy as well. The fursther you get from holiday in either direction, the better crowd wise. US can be empty in November.

Look on weather pages to get weather averages. Temps can vary quite a bit. From freezing cold to the upper 80's we saw in December, but those were near record highs for that time of year - or so the news said. I'd say kind of like Feb, weather wise - but the earth is cooling off instead of warming up.

Probably not much rain, always a risk of some. Maybe swim weather, maybe not. It seems likely to me the earlier you go in the month better the odds of warm. I had warm weather on two trips earlier inthe month, but the holiday week the resorts get full (Vet's day). Not heavy crowds, but the resorts get full.

The Food & Wine Festival offers some fun treats (through 11/08/09). Later in the month, you get holiday decor, so that can be fun as well. In 2005, I think it was...maybe 2004, holiday decor was in process over Vet's Day week and even right around Thanksgiving (I think we caught the start of Osbourne lights late in the week after Thanksgiving- I think, as well as MVMCP.) Since 2005 they've bumped up dates, but this year may be different, as they cancelled PPP altogether.

Odds are good of one pool day, so long as you are flexible on when that occurs, and don't count on one specific day to be warm.

Over holiday, yes, holiday pricing. I couldn't use DDE discount (Now Wonderland discount) directly on holiday either, but otherwise I could.

WE didn't have any trouble in the airport. I'm always amazed by MCO. Several times we've arrived on Sunday after Thanksgiving, and had smooth trip all around. I suppose you can always run into weather problems. But then, the worst weather glitch I ever encountered was during a Feb. trip. A major snowstorm caused flights to be cancelled across the country.

It was REALLY TOUGH.....we had to spend an extra THREE days in Orlando :laughing: :laughing: I still wonder how we managed to endure it. :laughing: :cloud9:

We've been many different times of the year as well, but we went the week following Thanksgiving in 06 and 07 and it was by far our most favorite time to go. We actually arrived on Thanksgiving day last year, but used the first three days to just enjoy the atmosphere of our resort and a trip to the ocean. But once Sunday after Thanksgiving rolls around it's incredible in the parks. The decorations are up and the crowds are easily manageable. We followed TGM both times with great success. Our kids are fish, so we swam pretty much every day. MVMCP is a blast and I highly recommend that as well. We enjoyed multiple rides on all the major attractions in every park. One night at DHS we rode Rockin Rollercoaster 5 times in a row and were the last riders of the night. It was a blast and I have some great pictures of us being the only passengers in the car.

We'll be arriving either the day before or on Thanksgiving day this year and staying through December 6th. Even if it's a little more crowded this year, we won't mind as we know the weather will be comfortable and the decorations really get us into the Christmas spirit.

Good Luck!!!

Hi,

We have a trip scheduled for the first week of March but may have to change dates because of my husband's work schedule. I have a 40% discount offer for the week of Nov. 15-21 so I am considering that week as our alternative.

Does anyone have an opinion or past experience with the week before Thanksgiving? Is there a reason to avoid it?

Thank you so much for your thoughts! Picking a week is so stressful :)

Hi,

We have a trip scheduled for the first week of March but may have to change dates because of my husband's work schedule. I have a 40% discount offer for the week of Nov. 15-21 so I am considering that week as our alternative.

Does anyone have an opinion or past experience with the week before Thanksgiving? Is there a reason to avoid it?

Thank you so much for your thoughts! Picking a week is so stressful :)

no reason to avoid it at all. It is imho the best week of November.

I'm sad to say that we will probably not be able to do another November trip for a long time. My DS will be in middle school next year and finds school tough, so taking the kids out of school starting next year is completely out of the question.

That said, we love Disney in November. We have gone 3 years in a row.

The weather has been completely different each year. The first year (2006), we could have used hats, gloves and winter coats, but it never rained. The 2nd year (2007) was perfect, we didn't use a jacket; poureded one night. This year was nice, warm during the days and very cool at night, rained on and off for one day at times it was a down pour.

In 2006, we went from the Friday before Thanksgiving to the day after. The crowds definitely increased each day. I wouldn't say that I would avoid that week, but the week after is definitely better crowdwise. The only reason to avoid the week before would be if you wanted to see the CHristmas stuff.

The past 2 years we got there the Saturday after Thanksgiving, which is crowded, but the crowds die down on Sunday.

We arrived the Thursday before Thanksgiving and stayed until the Tuesday before. Weather and crowds were GREAT!! Saturday and Sunday were really crowded during the afternoon, but the crowds phased away by evening. Evening EMH were practically dead! It is a great time to go!

We went the last week of Nov/first week of Dec and it was GREAT! :woohoo: The crowd level was great, the weather was great and all the Christmas decorations were up. I LOVED going that time of year. If I had my choice, we would go back then.....but we have a DD in school and it's hard to pull them for a full week from school the older they get. So, we will go when she has some time off.

I just went this past november for a couple days and the weather was very pleasant. It didn't rain while we were there, but one of the days was a little cloudy and cool. I saw some people in the pool at the hotel, but I wouldn't recommend it at night. I think it's better in the beginning of november, but the weather changes from week to week as far as temperature goes. I live in florida and that's how it seems to be where I live. So I'd bring sweaters and short sleeves, maybe pack a poncho just in case. The crowds weren't too bad when I went[towards the end, close to thanksgiving] but it got more crowded as the day went on.

We were in WDW this year the week before Thanksgiving through the week of Thanksgiving. The week before was absolutly WONDERFUL the best time we have ever had in WDW. The crowds were extremely low, only 5-10 min. waits even for the big rides! When we were in MK main street was just about empty, and that night for WISHES we had a blanket on the ground right in front of the castle. We just laid back and enjoyed with barley anyone near us. This was the first time we have ever expirenced the parks this empty, and we always usually go durning value season! The weather was a bit chilly at night for us, but we're from New Orleans so anything below 70 is chilly to us. Now the week of Thanksgiving the crowds were OUTRAGIOUS. Good thing for us we were on to Universal and Seaworld that week, which they were both DEAD. We only went to the parks Thanksgiving week for ressie's or to watch a late night fireworks show, so the crowds were not a prolbem for us. If you have the option go the week before Thanksgiving it's GREAT!!!!!!:) :) :)

The Food & Wine Festival offers some fun treats (through 11/08/09). Later in the month, you get holiday decor, so that can be fun as well. In 2005, I think it was...maybe 2004, holiday decor was in process over Vet's Day week and even right around Thanksgiving (I think we caught the start of Osbourne lights late in the week after Thanksgiving- I think, as well as MVMCP.) Since 2005 they've bumped up dates, but this year may be different, as they cancelled PPP altogether.

What is "PPP"?

:cool1: We've been to WDW the past few years for Thanksgiving and the week after. We're going again for Thanksgiving 2009. So, it can't be all that bad. ;) As expected, Wed - Sat around Thanksgiving is pretty busy at the parks and resorts. Come Sunday, we saw a major difference. Tuesday - Saturday (morning) the following week were amazing. :thumbsup2 I HIGHLY recommend WDW the week after Thanksgiving. :santa: ALL the holiday decorations are up and the festivities have begun (Candlelight Processional, Osboure Lights, etc...). We've gone to MVMCP the past two years and plan to go again next December. It is truly a magical evening. The fireworks are THE BEST we have ever seen. I can't say enough good things about WDW during the first week of December. Go and experience it for yourself. You won't be disappointed! :wizard:

:surfweb: Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter