Tell me about chihuahuas

Tinkerbelle32

DIS Veteran
My two daughters are wanting to adopt a 6 month old chihuahua from our local shelter. I'm more of a cat person so I know basically nothing about this breed of dog. I will research online, but I was wanting some pros and cons of this dog. We do have a cat at home already. Does this dog bark a lot? What do you do with the dog while you are gone all day? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jennifer

They bark. A lot.

Other than that, a chihauaha should be good with kids. Honestly, it's kinda' up to you as the mom to be the master of the house. Read up on dog behavior and dog training. Read a LOT then put it into practice. Maybe even go to a training class - they're offered all over the place, even at Petsmart and Petco!

My parents have two little chihauahas and they're really sweet little dogs. My brother has a whole herd of them and has had them with his kids and they've all been fine. (It's always strange when you go to his house, when the dogs are out in the yard, to see a herd of chihauahas running wild, so to speak. . .)

We own 4 Chihuahuas. One has a seizure disorder and another has really bad teeth, both of these require medication. Chihuahuas are not great dogs for families with small children.

Please and I mean no offense, buy and read the book Chihuahuas for Dummies before you decide to bring one home. They are great little dogs, but they have their own specific quirks that you must be prepared for.

They aren't good with small children, especially if it hasn't been raised around kids. My girlfriend's niece petted hers so hard his eyeball popped, the vet fixed it but she was totally upset.

we have a teacup chichuahua whio is 6 years old......we also have a toy torkie, and a mutt cat..........

the yorkie we get more barking from beacuse she is very nosey and want to know who is hear...........the chihuahua is our "special puppy" our cuddle baby who will wrap herself up in her blanket--so sweet...........

Our pups each have there own playplen for their bed, wee wee pad,and water dish........it works for us! GL to you!

I guess I should add that my daughters are 7 and 9. Is that still too young?

EmmalineLola- Does your chihuahua get along with your cat? O.K. I have to ask what is a wee-wee pad for? Does it not go outside to the bathroom?

I do not recommend Chihuahuas for children. They are a nervous breed and prefer the quiet life. Quiet in their owners so they can make all the noise.

Children sometime do not realize how easily a small dogs leg will break.

Our Chihuahua is 2 and still not comfortable around our grandchildren 8 and 9.

Just saw the one DH's brother & sis-in-law have today. It tried to bite me a while back. Petting it, then out of nowhere, it circled its head around and snapped at my hand. It tries to bite their daughter all the time and it barks any time somebody comes to the house. It's obnoxious. We're not talking the one bark and done, we're talking non-stop for the ENTIRE time you're there, unless they put it wherever it is they put it, or sis-in-law holds it.

All chihuahuas may not be obnoxious, but this one sure is!

IL's always have chihuahuas and they are totally not good w/kids, none of them have been. When we visit they have to put them in their crates and give them tranquilizer shots, really! My DH is 6'5" and he totally sets them off, they bark and bark and bark and bark and freak just seeing him. Keep in mind they've known him their WHOLE lives and they still freak out around him.

They are very devoted to my MIL...they are like her shadow.

I'd skip this breed around kids honestly.

We have 2 Chihuahuas at home, but we had them before we had our daughter. I think it depends on the dog. Our Chihuahuas were 9 and 4 when we brought my daughter home. They instantly understood that she was way above them in the chain of command. Our older dog would guard her bassinet all day every day, the younger dog is extremely small and was afraid of her. Now they are my daughter's best friends and the 3 of them play together all of the time.

However, I think this is an exception to the general rule. I would probably go for a larger dog if I had it to do over again. Not a BIG dog (I hate big dogs) but a more medium sized one (maybe a shih-tzu sized) so that I didn't have to worry about the dog getting hurt accidentally.

Our neighbor has one and it's one of the meanest dogs I've ever seen. It barks non-stop for hours and hours and hours, night and day. It also goes ballistic whenever my dogs, DD, DH or myself go outside into the yard or the porch. It is constantly trying to get into our yard to attack; last week my DH saw it roaming the neighborhood and when it saw him it apparently rushed him and tried to bite. It also went after a neighbor and her toddler DD when they came out of their home. I know much of this is due to the neglect of the owners, but it has totally turned me off the breed.

Like a pp said before all chi's are different. I have a 5 year old DD and (a now) 10 month old Chi Tico. I know the general rule of thumb is not to mix Chi's with little kids but YKMV. Our daughter is very responsible for a 5 year old. She is patient and listens very well. I'm not saying she has been 100% perfect but she is fully aware that she can kill Tico of she plays with it too rough. But seriously they are best buddies (I like to refer to him as "Little Brother" from Mulan) We got him when he was 6 months old and he is really easy. It might just be him, but he's not a big barker, he's kind (he does like to yell a little at strangers but a firm word from DH or me usually outs that to rest). We like to let him play on the back patio (in good weather) and he sleeps in his crate. They like to have a "den" or a safe place that they can be if life gets too exciting around them, he loves his crate :lovestruc .... and that's good for us! (and him) If you find the right one it might be good for you and your family..... Good Luck!

I really think it depends on the situation...I have a chihuahua and have two children (12 and 5 months) and he is GREAT with kids, including all the neighbor kids. He is used to it and loves the attention he gets. Ours doesn't bark unless someone comes to the door he doesn't know. In fact, our other two non chihuahua's are the barkers and territorial!!

Our little Meshu is 2 1/2 years old. We got her when she was 8 weeks old. I too had heard they are yappy and nip at people but I promised my daughter she could get a chihuahua. My daughter was 16 at the time. I did not want to get another dog but I have fallen in love with this little chi!

This little dog is the sweetest dog I have ever seen. She has NEVER and I mean never nipped at any body ever. She also rarely barks. She won't even bark to go out side. So on the rare occasion she does we praise her a lot. I had to take her to the vet recently (tummy trouble) and she didn't make a noise when the drew blood. And smart, she is smart as a whip. Maybe she is the exception to the rule but I would not hesitate to get another chi. I do agree they may not be good with little children. They can be skittish but I think it is because they are afraid of being stepped on. I agree get a book and read about the bread before you get one.

Family friends had a Chi when I was a teen they also had a boy about my age the Chi was yappy but cute theirs was a tiny one only 2 lbs if that her name was Missy. Missy had a pink cradle doll bed just her size she'd get in her bed an rock herself while she was sleeping. She also had a shallow box with a lid on it for her toys, she'd go open the box get in dig around till she found the toy she wanted if she knocked other toys out on floor she'd stop put them away before playing with her toy, but would not put away the one she played with when done with it lol.

As Missy got older she had lot of health problems needed special care she liked sleepin on their beds had to be lifted on an off the bed, teeth problems had to have most of then pulled she lived to be like 15 yrs old but the later years was not much fun...

The family had another Chi years before Missy it was the same as it got older an the boy now has another one that is getting some years on him same thing all over again.

We have 2 chihuahuas. One is a boy, who we found in our yard 11 years ago, he is a sweet dog and will take up with anyone who will pet him....well, everyone except my niece who is 5 yrs old and our son who is 8 yrs old. He hates them. The second is a girl, she is 8 years old and she loves me but "tolerates" everyone else....well, except for my niece and son. It's a pattern! :confused3 I wouldn't recommend them for small children, they are just too nervous. Our girl is nervous around everyone but me, even my husband, when I'm at work she stays in her cage until I get home. We keep them in cages with food, water, and blankets while we are at work and while we sleep. They were very tough to house train and still have "accidents" in the house :scared:. If it matters they shed, not too bad, but you can tell when one has been sitting in your lap. They do bark alot..everytime they hear a noise but you really get used to it after a while.

We also have 2 schnauzers (I'm beginning to sound like Noah!), this breed I would definitely recommend to anyone. They are sweet, loving, and don't shed. The only thing is they require regular grooming. Unlike the chihuahuas, they love my son and niece! We have a rottweiller too, he's a BIG BABY, the chihuahauas would bite someone before he would. He stays outside but he's very gentle, much more trustworthy than our chihuahaus. Good luck in your decision.

We have a Chi and he is the sweetest ever. Our boys are 6 and 11 and they love to play with him and he plays right back. He does bark when the doorbell rings or when a stranger approaches, but we have trained him well enough that he stops when we tell him to. We also have a black lab and they get along great. I think it all depends on how gentle your kids can be with it and how well you train it.

l_299f71abb65a0e45efddd76a1c7e0c25.jpg
I will say, I think our Chihuahua is definately the exception to the rule. We got him at the shelter when he was 2 1/2 years old and honestly could have been the meanest dog ever! He was heavily sedated from getting "fixed" when we picked him up, we just got really lucky!! We found out that he was brought to the shelter by a breeder that would not keep him because he was too big to breed-nobody wanted chihuahuas his size.
He has turned out to be a great dog!! My kids were 5, 7, and 9 when we got him and my niece ( who LOVES dogs) was a toddler. He was great with my kids and when he had enough playtime, he would go get in his bed. We told the kids he was NOT to be bothered when he was in his bed and they all quickly learned.
Roscoe (my chihuahua) now has cancer and probably will not be with us too much longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter