• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Teething Baby! ARGH

kenny

DIS Veteran
Anyone ever been to the world with a teething baby?

DD2 is usually the happiest baby I have ever seen. Really NEVER stops smiling and laughing.

As luck would have it we leave in 3 days and the teething fairy as decided that we need a little more excitement in our lives and is paying us a visit. :rotfl:

Our happy smiling 5 month old baby has been cranky, whining, NON sleeping and generally unhappy now for the past week. Have a feeling this is going to last through the trip. We kind of have that luck. :lmao:

Anyway, I am sure with all the people that go to Disney, some one has been in this boat before.

Anyone?

I'm not an advocate for homeopathic remedies by any means, but I SWEAR BY TEETHING TABS!!!

They were the best invention ever for our kids. They worked better and longer than oraljel for us. Have you looked into those yet??

Just in case...there were a couple times I thought it was teething and it was an ear infection! Have you had his ears looked at recently? Teething usually doesn't wake them up at night, but an ear infection will! Not saying he has one, but just a thought!

I'm not an advocate for homeopathic remedies by any means, but I SWEAR BY TEETHING TABS!!!

They were the best invention ever for our kids. They worked better and longer than oraljel for us. Have you looked into those yet??

I also swear by these. Work great, and I not normally a remedies type of person either.

Well, yes, but we didn't realize it until about day 5 of our trip! Our youngest was being fussy, but I chalked it up to all the change and excitement of being at Disney. Then we were eating at 50's Prime Time, and she was laughing with her mouth open...looked in and there were THREE new teeth that weren't there when we left! Big ones, too!

I, too, swear by teething tablets. I know Hyland's makes a brand that work really well. Gripe water is good, too, but it always seems to me that the does is huge for a little baby!

Good luck!

Lorna Doones and soft pretzels. My younger daughters 1st trip at 8 months she gnawed them through the whole trip.

Not necessarily going to help you at WDW but while you are still home... frozen waffles (still frozen straight from the freezer) and/or a frozen wash cloth.

The waffles will turn to mush from the saliva so no real worries about biting off too much (but still keep eyes open).

Wet a wash cloth & wring it out. Leave it twisted & put in the freezer for a while. Comes out a perfect soft teether.

For WDW, Arrowroot cookies. Again, product turns mushy so no choking hazzard. And MICKEY BARS or Mickey ice cream sandwiches!

BTW, I also agree with having ears checked if not done so already.

Wait... just re-read your post & saw baby is only 5 months old... might not be ready for food options yet... sorry

Thanks for the replies.

She went to the DR saturday and does not have an ear infection.

Tried teething rings and she is not crazy about them. Oragel worked for about 2 hours. Tylonel seems to work better but don't like having to give to her every night as she is only 5 months.

As for food she only just started solids so not ready yet for chewing, but defintitely going to ask DR about teething tabs. Have heard some good things about them from others as well.

Thanks!

Well, yes, but we didn't realize it until about day 5 of our trip! Our youngest was being fussy, but I chalked it up to all the change and excitement of being at Disney. Then we were eating at 50's Prime Time, and she was laughing with her mouth open...looked in and there were THREE new teeth that weren't there when we left! Big ones, too!

I, too, swear by teething tablets. I know Hyland's makes a brand that work really well. Gripe water is good, too, but it always seems to me that the does is huge for a little baby!

Good luck!

DD cut her 1st 2 teeth at Disney last spring!

Oh, just thought of another thing... those little mesh fruit teether thingies... worked wonders for a friend of mine. You can put something (food) in them to gnaw on.

Ours liked those rubber covered spoons. Not the ones where it is just on the end, but the entire spoon.

Thanks for all the replies.

DD1 never had these problems. Maye 1 or 2 days of crankiness but that was it. Never really needed anything as it was over so fast.

Oh well. as DW said, rather be in Disney with a cranky baby then at home! :rotfl:

We love using Hyland's Teething Tablets too and highly recommend them to everyone we know who has little ones! The pedi's in our practice all have kids and they use them too. We won't use the gels because the numbing medication in them can also numb the swallow & gag reflexes and that just seems scary to us. We don't like giving Tylenol or Motrin unless she's running a fever or really sick so for us, the tablets are a great alternative.

Our DD is one of those kids who wakes up during the night when she's teething. Now that she's old enough to talk, she asks for the tablets when she's teething because she knows that they help her mouth feel better. She's getting her 2 yr molars right now and will sometimes be chomping on her fingers, turn to me and say, "Can I have tablets please?"

OP - if your DD isn't feeling better by tomorrow, you may want to re-visit your pedi just to be safe. We took DD in for what we thought was an ear infection, were told she didn't have one and a week later, we were back in the office and she did have one at that time.

I hope you find something to help your DD feel better soon.

I just have to echo the Teething tablets. They even worked for a toothache I had! I can't remember the age exactly, but I remember alternating Motrin and Tylenol working really well. (I guess I have to start remembering these things!)

We just got back from a week at WDW with a teething 7 mo. She was extremely cranky the first day, but then she seemed to get used to the commotion. She actually slept fine at night, probably because we were so busy. (Since we've been home, though, it's been a different story). In her cranky moments at the parks though, one thing that did help was carrying her instead of using a stroller. This made her very happy. Do you have a baby carrier you could bring so you could "babywear" her at times? This made a huge difference for us.

Good luck and HAVE FUN! I'm sure baby will love seeing/hearing all the sights and sounds of WDW!

Our last trip with dd was a teething nightmare... but she was 20 months old and getting 2 molars and an eye tooth all at the same time! We had gone when she was 6 months old and she was getting her bottom two teeth then. I think the "action" helped... she had something else to focus on.

I am also a HUGE fan of the teething tablets. I've used both Hyland's and Humphries but I prefer Hyland's. There was no way dd was going to go for the "allow the tablets to dissolve under the tongue" routine so I would dissolve two or three tablets in a small amount of water in the bowl of a baby spoon and given them to her that way... the Hyland's dissolve faster and more completely using that method.

We just got back from a week at WDW with a teething 7 mo. She was extremely cranky the first day, but then she seemed to get used to the commotion. She actually slept fine at night, probably because we were so busy. (Since we've been home, though, it's been a different story). In her cranky moments at the parks though, one thing that did help was carrying her instead of using a stroller. This made her very happy. Do you have a baby carrier you could bring so you could "babywear" her at times? This made a huge difference for us.

Good luck and HAVE FUN! I'm sure baby will love seeing/hearing all the sights and sounds of WDW!

I think the "action" helped... she had something else to focus on.

That is what we were hoping is that all the commotion would just distract her, as at home she seems very happy when her older sister is around.

We have a carrier so planned on bring that as well. Glad to hear that are some success stories when at the parks. Wouldn't mind so much at home I just feel bad if she is unhappy at Disney. Disney is THE HAPPY PLACE! ;)

DW went today and got the teething tablets as well as the Vulli Giraffe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter