Teeny Tiny Accident with suspicious damage - WWYD?

If it was me..I would call my insurance company and report what occurred. They will send someone out to look at the car you were driving, the car you hit, take statements..etc. They will know if you could have reasonably caused the damage to the vehicle and they will work with that persons insurance in regards to repairs (so you know they will be monitored/kept in check). If you do not go through insurance you run the risk of them claiming damage you didn't cause or asking for more money than is necessary to make the repair.

This.

A few years ago, DH scraped another car in a very tight parking garage. We didn't think to take pics, but we definitely got out and inspected the damage (a few scrapes to side door of their car and ours). We left a note with our name and tel # on the other car's windshield.

DH originally didn't want to go through our insurance for such a minor thing, thinking our rate would go up. When the owner of the other car called, DH offered him $300 to just be done with it. The guy said he wanted to get an estimate first. He called DH back and said it was going to be $600 for repairs. DH felt that was really high for the repair and said that maybe it would be best to go through the inisurance co after all. The other guy started backpedalling a little, which only made DH more sure that the insurance co was the way to go. The insurance took care of it (and it was nowhere near $600) and our rate did not go up. :thumbsup2

Hmmmm....sounds like the guy is kinda trying to screw ya over. I'd think that I might just say, tell ya what. File a police report. I'll show my pictures, you show yours. But that'd be only if you really believe you didnt cause the damage and he was pulling something.

Sorry I didn't respond until now. DH came home and totally inspected my vehicle. There is absolutely no damage anywhere. He also took a look at the picture that my son took of the damage.

He told me if it was a guy that hit his car he would have said "Don't worry about it. Can you help me pop it back in?" He has left a message for the gentleman to talk to him re: the damage and asked to come over and take pictures himself. The guy did not answer his phone.

I have 10 days to report the accident and go to make the report since there was very little damage and no injury. Also, the police would not have come, I asked the resident neighborhood policeman.

All measurements have been taken on the vehicle and very detailed pictures have been taken.

I still have a feeling that this is going to be a battle but DH is confident that once they speak it will be all over.

Thank you all for keeping me calm yesterday. I really did feel horrible and was upset that I let him guide me and not use my own skills which I trust. I mean this in regards to the actual accident and the way I handled it afterwards.

I will definitely file with my insurance company if we do not hear back in the next day or so. As for why I did not use the car rental insurance, I declined as mine does cover it. (Yes I know this as I called prior to renting).

Hope everyone has a really great weekend. I am spending mine on the couch and out of our vehicle!!;)

Call your insurance company. State what happened - just the facts - no opinions! You did an excellent job reporting the facts to us. Write all of this information down & call your insurance company.

I believe that you must call the car rental company also. Ask your insurance company that question.

Not reporting it just doesn't sound smart. Your insurance company can best help you. Try to stay calm, & stop blaming yourself, please. :grouphug:

I would cal your ins co and talk to your agent tell him EVERYTHING and log all calls etc with this guy sounds like a scam to me!!! good luck

Something similar happened to me a few months ago.
I was backing up in CVS parking lot and didn't see the guy who was on the passenger side at my blind spot.
I tapped him, had no damage to my Kia Sportage and he had a scrape on his GOLD TOYOTA COROLLA bumper. I got out and he said just give me $500 and I will not report it. $500 for a scrape!!!
So I said no I think we should call the police and report this if you think that is $500 worth of damage. He said he didn't have time to wait for police just give him my name and insurance information. (In CT you have to turn that info over.) So I did but I took photos of the car and the scrape with my cell phone. I had plenty of photos along with his name and insurance and his liscense and plate for the police when they came.
the police report listed the car, etc and no damage.
Two weeks later I got a letter in the mail that my insurance had paid the damages to the car that I hit in the accident. So I called the insurance and asked What accident?
the insurance told me they paid $3,800 to the guy to repair the RED MITSUBSHI GALANT. I told the insurance that was not the car I tapped and I had photos and the police report to prove it.
They told me that they had made the payment and don't bother no harm was done. I told them I wanted something done because it was insurance fraud but they said no problem.
Two months later my insurance renewall comes in with an increase of $700 a year. I called them and they said it was because of the accident. I tried to talk to the person but was told tough, apy the insurance.
I called a few other insurance places but can't get good rates because of the accident that is now on my record.
I have learned not to trust anyone and if anything ever happens again I will not give any information until the police arrive.

You almost lost me at 'large GMC Terrain'. The Terrain is the smallest thing that GMC makes. It's downright tiny. Perhaps you were driving, well, anything else that GMC makes; perhaps a Tahoe.

That being said, call your insurance company and let them deal with it. That's what you pay them for.

Something similar happened to me a few months ago.
I was backing up in CVS parking lot and didn't see the guy who was on the passenger side at my blind spot.
I tapped him, had no damage to my Kia Sportage and he had a scrape on his GOLD TOYOTA COROLLA bumper. I got out and he said just give me $500 and I will not report it. $500 for a scrape!!!
So I said no I think we should call the police and report this if you think that is $500 worth of damage. He said he didn't have time to wait for police just give him my name and insurance information. (In CT you have to turn that info over.) So I did but I took photos of the car and the scrape with my cell phone. I had plenty of photos along with his name and insurance and his liscense and plate for the police when they came.
the police report listed the car, etc and no damage.
Two weeks later I got a letter in the mail that my insurance had paid the damages to the car that I hit in the accident. So I called the insurance and asked What accident?
the insurance told me they paid $3,800 to the guy to repair the RED MITSUBSHI GALANT. I told the insurance that was not the car I tapped and I had photos and the police report to prove it.
They told me that they had made the payment and don't bother no harm was done. I told them I wanted something done because it was insurance fraud but they said no problem.
Two months later my insurance renewall comes in with an increase of $700 a year. I called them and they said it was because of the accident. I tried to talk to the person but was told tough, apy the insurance.
I called a few other insurance places but can't get good rates because of the accident that is now on my record.
I have learned not to trust anyone and if anything ever happens again I will not give any information until the police arrive.

I don't know how long ago this was, but you really should contact your state Attorney General concerning this. The insurance company is complicit in the commission of insurance fraud.

I am still a bit upset so I am having a hard time understanding. Should I bypass the insurance and contact the other driver and have him meet me at a neutral adjuster to determine what could have happened or if I could have caused that damage?

I also live in a no-fault state. DH is on his way home to look at the vehicle and the pictures. Ugh, I am so upset with myself. I am usually so careful.

No Fault only applies to medical payments. Everyone pays their own medical payments regardless of fault. It does not apply to property damage.

You'd have to report this to the insurance company that insures the loaner car, not yours should you wish to use insurance.

Only if they bought insurance through the rental car company. If not, then it's her responsibility.

I have an update, probably not one that will be popular.

DH called our insurance company. The gentleman said his estimate was for $250.00. She advised my husband to just pay and get a release of liability signed because our deductible is $500.00 and it would go on the record.

Hubby did not want to fight it, so we paid him today. I did get a legal liability release that covers me from everything (and DH since his name is on the car) and I went and got a bank check so he doesn't know where we live. We met him at a parking lot we both knew.

So I feel horrible. It was a lot of money for something I don't believe I did but DH is in the camp that is it is done and over and no need to harp on it. I only wish I could find that camp!!!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter