• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Teens spending money

MomMouse

Earning My Ears
Hi
What is the best way for a 16 year old to have spending money on the Cruise? Can a Disney gift card be used on the ship for spending?
Can spending amount be limited on their key card? Thanks, everyone.pirate:pirate:

No gift cards or cash, spending is via the SeaPass card only. But you can absolutely put a separate amount on your teen's card for their own spending -- that's what I do. Then in his cruise rules, one of the items is that he is responsible for keeping up with what he has spend either by checking on the tv or going to guest services. Your teen's card will still be attached to the main card, so if they go over it'll pull from yours (I think). They might just call you to guest services to make other arrangements.

But it does make it easy for them to have their own spending money, and a good way to give your teen some real-world experience in managing and keeping up with spending.

-gina-

With anyone under the age of 18, you cannot set a specific spending cap on their card. Their charging privileges are either on or off. If they are off, they can't charge anything. If they are on, they have the same freedom as the adult that is taking responsibility for them. (So if mom signs that she is the adult responsible for her son and sets them both up as a cash account, the son can spend up to the allowed cash advance amount -- which varies based on cruise length. If she has put a cc down for the account, the son basically has been given unlimited charging privileges.)

We sailed for the first time ever on DCL on 1/8. I allowed our kids (23, 22, 21, 21, 19, 16, and 14) charging rights. They had gotten Disney gift cards, Disney dollars, and cash to spend as Christmas gifts. On night 2 I began showing them how much they had spent via a print out from guest services. Thus reminding them that they had to pay me on night 4. On the afternoon of night 4, I went down and got a final print out from GS.

The kids gave me what they owed and I went back to pay it off. It worked out great for us. Some might find it a pain or too time consuming, for us it went well. Allowed my kids to see that THEY HAD to pay when you buy something with a "charge" card. They made great decisions about whether they wanted or needed something, lol! Also made the four 21 and over kids in our group more conscious about how much and if they were going to drink!!:goodvibes

We sailed for the first time ever on DCL on 1/8. I allowed our kids (23, 22, 21, 21, 19, 16, and 14) charging rights. They had gotten Disney gift cards, Disney dollars, and cash to spend as Christmas gifts. On night 2 I began showing them how much they had spent via a print out from guest services. Thus reminding them that they had to pay me on night 4. On the afternoon of night 4, I went down and got a final print out from GS.

The kids gave me what they owed and I went back to pay it off. It worked out great for us. Some might find it a pain or too time consuming, for us it went well. Allowed my kids to see that THEY HAD to pay when you buy something with a "charge" card. They made great decisions about whether they wanted or needed something, lol! Also made the four 21 and over kids in our group more conscious about how much and if they were going to drink!!:goodvibes

Just an FYI--you can pull up your stateroom account on your in room television too. It might save a few minutes of waiting in line at GS.

No gift cards or cash, spending is via the SeaPass card only. But you can absolutely put a separate amount on your teen's card for their own spending -- that's what I do. Then in his cruise rules, one of the items is that he is responsible for keeping up with what he has spend either by checking on the tv or going to guest services. Your teen's card will still be attached to the main card, so if they go over it'll pull from yours (I think). They might just call you to guest services to make other arrangements.

But it does make it easy for them to have their own spending money, and a good way to give your teen some real-world experience in managing and keeping up with spending.

-gina-

This is not how it works on DCL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter