teenagers!

TinkGirl

DIS Veteran
:sad2: My 15 year old son just announced that Disney World was going to be boring this year, and it would be a lot better with friends. I guess I knew this day would come. My 17 year old has never said that, and the 13-yr. old keeps talking about how excited she is about the trip.

I feel your pain - my 17 year old stated last year that she was NEVER coming to WDW with us again (alhtough, after he behaviour, DH and I both said we would never take her again ;)). My 16 year-old would happily come with us for the rest of her life, I think, and is already planning a Disney wedding - she just needs to find a husband :rotfl: She even asked me the other day if she could have our DVC points when we died :scared1:

My soon to be 15 DS and soon to be 23 DS have always traveled together with us as a family! We've enjoyed EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

We think this will be the last trip this summer! Our soon to be 23 DS is graduating from college and will be starting a full time job in June!:cool1::cool1::cool1:WE ARE THRILLED!:dance3::dance3:

Although our 23 DS will be working full time, he is coming for the first part of a split trip! WE ARE SO EXCITED AS WELL AS HIS 15 YR OLD BROTHER!

We are doing 1 night Universal, 3 nights AKV Kidani as a family! Mom and Dad are then headed onto Vero with our soon to be 15 yr old DS and our soon to be 23 yr old is headed back to work!

Our sons absolutely love vacationing together..Our family only does 1 vacation per year, but we enjoy EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

God willing, we will enjoy this one as well!

CANNOT WAIT! NOTHING BETTER IN THIS ECONOMY TO CELEBRATE FIRST SON GRADUATING FROM COLLEGE AND THEN HAVING A JOB IN HIS FIELD TO START IN JUNE! SO VERY VERY PROUD OF OUR SOON TO BE 23 YEAR OLD SON!!!!!!!!!!!:banana::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::jumping1::jumping1:

:sad2: My 15 year old son just announced that Disney World was going to be boring this year, and it would be a lot better with friends. I guess I knew this day would come. My 17 year old has never said that, and the 13-yr. old keeps talking about how excited she is about the trip.

Is it really that he thinks it will be boring or is he just trying to get a free trip for his bud? I know that I pulled this one when I was younger. I wanted to go and thought that it would be even better with a friend to hang out with.

My best friend is comng aong wiht us in our upcoming trip (in 3 days!!!! :woohoo:) - she has a 15 year old son who was invited and he doesn't want to come. He has NEVER been to WDW and would rather go turkey hunting :scared1:
LOL - of course, to a Disney FANatic like me, that is unheard of!

We let our 2 daughters each bring a friend with us a few years back. This was done for partly selfish reasons...we ASSUMED (never do this) that they would want to go off and have some fun on their own. Nope. Now, instead of 2 surly teen girls tagging along, we had 4!!! If this had been me at that age, and my parents handed me and my friend cash..in Disney....there would have been a plume of dust where I had once stood...I would have BOLTED so fast! I will never understand why they would WANT to hang out with us all week! I know I should probably be thankful they LIKE to be with us (mothers and teen daughters often have 'testy' relationships), but it would have been nice to have some time without them there. On top of 4 cling-ons, we had daily arguements to referee. Never again!

We let our 2 daughters each bring a friend with us a few years back. This was done for partly selfish reasons...we ASSUMED (never do this) that they would want to go off and have some fun on their own. Nope. Now, instead of 2 surly teen girls tagging along, we had 4!!! If this had been me at that age, and my parents handed me and my friend cash..in Disney....there would have been a plume of dust where I had once stood...I would have BOLTED so fast! I will never understand why they would WANT to hang out with us all week! I know I should probably be thankful they LIKE to be with us (mothers and teen daughters often have 'testy' relationships), but it would have been nice to have some time without them there. On top of 4 cling-ons, we had daily arguements to referee. Never again!

That happened to us last year! We took a friend for DS and that kid ended up being too cool for Disney! I was so irritated I paid for this kid who would call things "lame"!:headache: Worst off, my DS started questioning if he shouldn't like Disney! It's taken me almost a year to brainwash him again but he's finally excited for our summer trip! (He's 14)

We left our other son home from Disney when he was 15 and 16. I did not want his attitude at Disney and he didn't want to go! Well, he's now 17 and soooo much better and he wants to go with us this summer!:cool1: So, you never know with teens! Some love it, some don't, some hate it one year and then love it the next year! I've just learned to take a lot of Motrin through the teen years, it's better than drinking!:lmao:

I feel your pain - my 17 year old stated last year that she was NEVER coming to WDW with us again (alhtough, after he behaviour, DH and I both said we would never take her again ;)). My 16 year-old would happily come with us for the rest of her life, I think, and is already planning a Disney wedding - she just needs to find a husband :rotfl: She even asked me the other day if she could have our DVC points when we died :scared1:

We must share the same 16 y/o dd!!! Sounds just like mine!!!

'If' you can afford it, and feel like doing it, then I would invite a friend for your son. But...I wouldn't pay for everything. I would have the boys family pay for airfare and his park tickets, but I would pick up the tab for food and lodging. If you have any negative thoughts about the friend your son would want to invite, then don't do it. Nothing will ruin a fun trip faster than surly teens..or teens with miserable manners or attitudes.

If this had been me at that age, and my parents handed me and my friend cash..in Disney....there would have been a plume of dust where I had once stood...I would have BOLTED so fast!

Me too!! Last year at Universal, me, DH, and Oldest son was sooooooo tired, that we decided to go back to the resort. My 15 year old "baby" (He's 6'2" and 200 lbs :scared1: ) wanted to stay in the park. (He's a really good kid) I figured no child molester would want a kid big enough to beat the crud out of them, so we gave him money and let him stay (we were staying onsite and he had cell phone). He had blast by himself!!! He was so excited when he got back, talking about all the rides he went on, etc. I was really surprised he had so much fun by himself...but he's got a good personality (and common sense) and enjoyed talking to other people in the lines.

We practiced the "import-a-friend" program a few times for our youngest DS, especially when his older brother and sister had counseling jobs at the church camp and vacationed less with us. We camped, did weekends in suite hotels, and once took a friend with us to WDW. It worked out a lot better for us for DS to have a companion. YMMV

I hope I don't jinx myself, but so far, our 15 year old DS still loves DW. He has been 1 or 2 times a year since the age of 4 and can't seem to get enough. I think he has inherited my love of Disney.

I just went through this with our ds who is 16 and has been complaining off and on the past 2 years about how we always go to Disney and blah blah blah. HOWEVER we were going 3 times a year and he had reached burnout. Last year he swore he WAS DONE after the July trip. We had been in Jan. and July last year. Well guess what....we were going to go to HHI for 6 nights and I found out that thet Electrical Parade was back this summer and I really wanted to go back to Disney. I mentioned it to ds and he said if we can keep some HHI days AKA BEACH DAYS..... he would go. I was happy because I was able to book 4 nights at Vero, which we have always wanted to try and HE WAS BACK ON BOARD. We are going to WDW for 6 or 7 nights either before or after Vero. I just made changes today. :rotfl2:

I have not even read the replies yet. I think it depends on how often you go and people keep telling me "have him bring a buddy" and that will completely change their attitude. I think when they get older....they want to hang out with someone else at the parks. Also, I think it helped us that we will have actually gone an entire YEAR without going to Disney. He said he was on board as long as I was able to book Vero and I did. :banana: He loves the water parks..so now we always include two days of that too. GOOD LUCK. Now our dd who is a freshman in college...LOVES DISNEY..and it will break her heart the first time we go without her. :sad1: Our ds 11 still loves going too. Those two were the ones that complained that WE WERE SKIPPING WDW THIS SUMMER FOR HHI. They couldn't believe it. So eveyone is happy now. :cheer2:

We leave our teens at home now. The last few trips they spent most of their time in the hotel room, so I would rather save the money. DW and I can go more often now.

Easy to fix, leave them home with a boring relative and you'll never have that problem again.

I love all the parents that leave their teens at home, so they can enjoy disney without them!! :lmao: Our teens may think they are "too old" for Disney, but the adults never grow up!! I hope I never grow up! :goodvibes

Forget the "terrible twos". I still vividly remember our DD(30)'s "terrible teens". That's why its my plan to take the DGD(6) as often as I can... before she gets teen-tude.

That's the joy of being a grandparent. Enjoy em while they're cute and cuddly, and then send em home! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter