Teenager getting tonsils out

luvsJack

DIS Veteran
Has anyone here had experience with their teen or themselves as a teen getting their tonsils removed?

DD is scheduled to get her's out next week. I was fine with it until everyone decided to give dh the horror stories of their teen's experience.

I know its going to bleed. The dr. already told us what to do when it happens. But I keep hearing of those who have to be air lifted to the hospital and all kind of crazy stuff.

Any positive stories would be great!

My son got his out when he was 10. Days 1-3 were OK...lots of pain killers and sleep.

Day 4-5 were OK - he felt better, was eating more and staying awake for most of the day.

Day 6-10, he hit a wall. We were warned that would happen...that they would think they were doing better after 4-5 days, and BAM, they would go backwards. The Dr. said it takes a good two weeks to recover, and halfway through would be the worst of it. DS was classic, then, because that is exactly what happened! He went back to school exactly two weeks later.

I was 19 when I had mine out. I didn't have any side effects besides finding out I was allergic to codeine. It did take a bit longer to recover. I didn't have any bleeding (do I even want to know what that is? Ripped stitches I assume) or horrible pain. I don't remember what I ate but I know I avoided soup because it stung.

I had my tonsils out because I was getting tonsillitis over and over and over and penicillin was no longer working.

Don't worry mom, she'll do fine.

My daughter did fine but I remember her complaining a lot about lesions that formed in her throat 3 or 4 days as her throat healed. Her throat was sore but feeling those things in her throat drove her crazy.

The good news is that getting her tonsils out totally stopped her recurrent strep throat.

Why is she getting them out?

She has had one slightly swollen tonsil since having mono several years ago and she gets sore throats constantly.

The bleeding, he said was from the throat scabbing over and then the scab coming off.

Dh has really gotten worried with so many folks giving these horror stories. But I told him that they may have been over reacting to the bleeding that the dr. described. He said just to keep putting ice water on it and it would clot up.

Thanks everyone, I will let him know that plenty of other folks are having it done and were fine.

Dd18 had mono over a year ago, and has had several throat infections this year. The ENT says it's up to her - deal with the pain of recovery, or deal with throat infections. It's totally up to her. I want her to get them out in the end of August, after work is over, before she goes back to college. Who knows when she will have such a large window to recover. However, she got all of her wisdom teeth taken out last august, and was miserable.

Hope for a speedy recovery for your dd - please report back!

Dd18 had mono over a year ago, and has had several throat infections this year. The ENT says it's up to her - deal with the pain of recovery, or deal with throat infections. It's totally up to her. I want her to get them out in the end of August, after work is over, before she goes back to college. Who knows when she will have such a large window to recover. However, she got all of her wisdom teeth taken out last august, and was miserable.

Same story with my daughter. She caught mono after her first semester of college. Then the strep and sore throats started. She just could not get rid of them. She had never been sick until she went away to school. The good news is that after the tonsils came out she has not had one case of strep throat in the past 8 years.

bleeding is not a definite.

i had my tonsils out in 2009 at age 22.
i didn't bleed at all.

the pain isn't usually that bad during the first day or two but its important to take the pain meds anyways so they are in your system.
day 3-4 the pain gets worse.
day 5-8 the pain is pretty unbearable especially due to the "referred pain" which means your throat tells your brain they can't take any more pain so your brain is like ok, no worries, i'll just spread the rest of the pain to your head and ears.
what is causing the pain is the scabs forming.
once the scabs come off around day 8-9 the pain decreases dramatically.
day 10-11 the pain is pretty much gone.
the scabs are disgusting. they cause the worst smell/taste you've ever had.
when they want to come off you start to feel like you need to cough and the feeling just does not go away until you cough them off.
you're supposed to avoid dairy as it produces mucus and that can make you congested and feel like you need to cough which can make the scabs come off before they should.
for the first 3 days you are supposed to have liquids avoiding red ones. liquids are things like water, juice, popsicles (don't suck on them though mush them up in a bowl), jello, and broth.
after that you can start eating very soft foods like apple sauce, scrambled eggs, mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, baked beans, peas....
generally you stay on that diet until you go for your 10 day post op appointment and your dr gives the ok to eat more normal foods.
you are supposed to avoid eating rough foods like potato chips and pretzels for 3 weeks.
you are also supposed to avoid using a straw for 3 weeks.
and you are not to use ibuprofen (advil/motrin) for 3 weeks prior to and 3 weeks after as they can thin your blood.
one other thing is you are supposed to stay "close to home" for 4-6 weeks.

i also had sinus and septum surgery a couple years after that and even though there were much fewer restrictions i'd much rather go through a tonsillectomy again than that surgery.

I had mine out when I was 25. The drugs they prescribed were worse than the recovery. They made me incredibly nauseous and I could barely stay awake for a half hour at a time. I stopped taking them and switched to Tylenol Cool Burst. It was strong enough to manage the pain and it's kind of viscous so it worked really well to coat my throat and numb it. So much relief. It was a wonder drug. I highly recommend you have some on hand for your daughter if she needs it. I was told I would need two weeks off from work, I only ended up taking one before I went back. I don't recall there being any bleeding issues.

That's exactly what her ENT said--either keep doing what you are doing or get them out. She decided. It took all of 5 minutes. I wanted to DISCUSS it and they just made the decision! LOL But I stopped him long enough to say "would you make this choice for your child?"

She just had her wisdom teeth cut out a few weeks ago. It wasn't too bad but she started with a sore throat again about 3 days after having them out.

bleeding is not a definite.

i had my tonsils out in 2009 at age 22.
i didn't bleed at all.

the pain isn't usually that bad during the first day or two but its important to take the pain meds anyways so they are in your system.
day 3-4 the pain gets worse.
day 5-8 the pain is pretty unbearable especially due to the "referred pain" which means your throat tells your brain they can't take any more pain so your brain is like ok, no worries, i'll just spread the rest of the pain to your head and ears.
what is causing the pain is the scabs forming.
once the scabs come off around day 8-9 the pain decreases dramatically.
day 10-11 the pain is pretty much gone.
the scabs are disgusting. they cause the worst smell/taste you've ever had.
when they want to come off you start to feel like you need to cough and the feeling just does not go away until you cough them off.
you're supposed to avoid dairy as it produces mucus and that can make you congested and feel like you need to cough which can make the scabs come off before they should.
for the first 3 days you are supposed to have liquids avoiding red ones. liquids are things like water, juice, popsicles (don't suck on them though mush them up in a bowl), jello, and broth.
after that you can start eating very soft foods like apple sauce, scrambled eggs, mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, baked beans, peas....
generally you stay on that diet until you go for your 10 day post op appointment and your dr gives the ok to eat more normal foods.
you are supposed to avoid eating rough foods like potato chips and pretzels for 3 weeks.
you are also supposed to avoid using a straw for 3 weeks.
and you are not to use ibuprofen (advil/motrin) for 3 weeks prior to and 3 weeks after as they can thin your blood.
one other thing is you are supposed to stay "close to home" for 4-6 weeks.

i also had sinus and septum surgery a couple years after that and even though there were much fewer restrictions i'd much rather go through a tonsillectomy again than that surgery.

Thank you for taking the time to post all this!! I am going to print it out and give it to dd and dh. I want her to have a head's up about what its going to be like. And it gives me an idea of when to plan to come back to work.

That's exactly what her ENT said--either keep doing what you are doing or get them out. She decided. It took all of 5 minutes. I wanted to DISCUSS it and they just made the decision! LOL But I stopped him long enough to say "would you make this choice for your child?"

She just had her wisdom teeth cut out a few weeks ago. It wasn't too bad but she started with a sore throat again about 3 days after having them out.
She got her first throat infection a week after her wisdom teeth came out. I asked the ENT what would he do, he said he couldn't answer because he never had his tonsils out!

She got her first throat infection a week after her wisdom teeth came out. I asked the ENT what would he do, he said he couldn't answer because he never had his tonsils out!

Anytime dd has been sick with anything or there is a chance of infection somewhere else in her body, her throat starts hurting. First dr. kept saying "its a virus" and sending us home to take OTC meds, so I got a second opinion. Second dr has given her antibiotics constantly so finally I said "enough" and made the appointment with the ENT. I think when its over, we will be glad but really dreading the next few weeks.

I had mine out when I was 25. I didn't have any problems with recovery except a slight sore throat for a few days. Never even took a pain pill or Tylenol. It does take a good 2 weeks to heal though. Just be mindful of that. Good luck!

My 8.5 year old is on day 14 of his recovery.

It's not bad. He had his tonsils and adenoids out for his terrible apnea snoring. His tonsils and adenoids were so huge it was unbelievable. He snored so loudly and his sleep quality was very poor.

I would say it took about 12 days for him to feel completely better. But the first 5-7 days were the worst. He always had great energy but things were never good first thing in the morning. He had lots of ear pain in particular in the mornings.

Overall though this was not at all bad and hearing him sleeping so soundly and silently is definitely the best thing about it.

Got mine out at 25 but I had a whole slew of other procedures at the same time for sleep apnea. Worst pain of my life.

Good friend's son had his out junior year and it had to happen a week before taking the ACT, so they were very anxious. He bounced back like nothing happened & managed to take the test on time too.

My dd is recovering from wisdom teeth and bone graft in her jaw. I guess it that time of yr for the kids to get it together.

Good Luck on her surgery! :D

Honestly, I think everyone who gets them out has a different experience. My son got his out after 1st grade (I know not a teen) and his recovery time was LONG! However, one of his was abcessed. Every time we would go out of town, or he would go to a sleepover or get tired he ended up with strep throat, and our pediatrician was conservative and we put it off until we all agreed it was time to get them removed. He had them out right after school was out for the summer and it took forever for him to recuperate. No bleeding but he was really puny. The funny thing was that during that summer after he had them removed he actually grew three inches and gained 20 pounds, but he never ended up looking chubby. I just think they were diseased and keeping him under the weather most of the time.

BTW, He rarely got sick after that, and never had strep again. It was worth it and I kick myself for not doing it sooner. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter