Teen in Remission - GAC vs Wheelchair?

I rented an ECV from Randy's this summer for my daughter who had just turned 16. She has a driver's license and had no difficulty using the scooter. It gave her the freedom to explore without Mom. She generally parked it when we went into stores or restaurants.

You might want to find out if her objections to being in a wheel chair has to do with control.
Having someone push you around, and you yourself not being able to decide where your sitting in a wheel chair is different from and ecv.

She will drive the ecv, get to decide which way she is facing etc.
Some of it depends if the wheel chair pushers is aware of what the person is facing, can see. Being at wheel chair or ecv height is butt height to the average walking person. So always stopping and looking at someone's butt vs looking at what is around the area. Stopping at a vantage point so the wheel chair person can see what is going on in the area vs placing facing a wall.

I've done both and hate wheel chairs because I can not push myself for a day at disney. But mostly its because my husband can't pay attention enough. He gets busy looking himself, and litterly on mainstreet had dumped me in the train tracks that go down the street several times.

However I don't have a problem with the ecv.
If she is looking for more independance and freedom of movement, the ecv wins hands down.

It does cost more than the wheel chair.
I would recommend renting offsite for either the wheel chair or scooter.
Sounds like she would at min need one of them.

If she is throwing a fit and fighting all things... bring the names of several offsite companies with you to disney in the event she really does need, and you don't have one. Although I suggest bringing several because who knows if they will have last minute scooters?

Those train tracks are tricky. I got stuck in them several times, too! My husband finally started backing me over them and that worked much better.

Yes, this is what I was going to post.
Most of the companies say somewhere on their website that they rent for use by someone over the age of 18.
It is also in the rental agreement that renters sign - along with agreeing to only have the adult driver - no passengers.

Many people probably don't actually read the rental contract they are signing, so could say they don't know.
But, if there is an accident, damage or injury, the contract could be voided and the rente could be liable for damages, as Wheeled Traveler mentioned.

A lot of people look at a wheelchair as a horrible thing - close to a prison sentence, using words like "wheelchair bound" and "confined to a wheelchair". That's just silly - people don't use words like that about things like glasses. I'm not "glasses bound" or "confined to glasses."
People rightly see glasses as a tool that helps people do things they could not do without them.

My yougest DD is literally bound to her wheelchair -
  • she has a seatbelt (a special one that pulls down on her hips),
  • straps to keep her feet in place (so her abnormal muscles don't pull them out of place)
  • and her seatback comes up high on the sides under her arms (to support her so sitting for long periods is not fatiguing)
But, even with all that, her wheelchair is not confining, it is freedom. Without it, she can't do the things she wants to do.

Hers is bright pink, with custom (mom made) seat covers in colors of her choice, with glow in the dark stars on the tire rims. Because it is hers, it is blinged out to her taste.
But, I have seen people at WDW who decorated their rental wheelchairs. We add solar powered fairy lights to DD's chair - attaching them with black electrical tape makes them easy to remove later. Some people put signs; I saw an ECV once with a laminated sign attached that said "The Kicking Cancer's Butt Tour".
So, if you think people might look, choose what you want them to look at.

Bravo to you and to her! She's lucky to have such a thoughtful parent! :) Also as a safety note... IT can be very dark at the parks at night, especially between fireworks bursts! pixiedust:, Please put lights on your chair or ECV. :) I made the mistake of going without for our first night EMH at EPCOT and if you don't want lap visitors learn from my mistake. :blush: Even the cheap lights they sell at kiosks in the park can be taped to your chair. You'll be glad you have them, and so will the other park visitors. Even lighted up and blinged out chairs and ECV's can be very hard notice in a sea of humanity, so extra vigilance is required for the person controlling the chair/vehicle and and helpers. :) ~Rebecca

Traveling with close friends incluiding a 17 year old who is slowly (but surely) recovering from a long battle with cancer. She can walk but not for long periods of time and tires easily. My suggestion was a wheel chair - we would all LOVE to push her but at 17 does not want to use a wheel chair if possible! She has already spent too many long years stuck in one :(

Can a 17yo rent an EVC? - if not might there be a GAC option for her?

It is obvious that she is not quite well yet and it would be easy for her parents to get documentation. They have only visited Disney once before when their kids were young and they weren't prepared so didn't have such a great trip :(

This time it will be 3 maybe 4 families with some of us Disney veterans so we can make good use of FP, Rope Drop and other touring plans. However some of the non FP rides could be an issue as well as the wait for shows like FOTLK with a standing sunny wait. If a GAC is an option I want to give her mom a heads up so we can figure out what type of accomodations she may need.

Just trying to help them plan a trip as magical as I can - :)

So happy she is in remission! Cancer is a long strange battle, hope Disney is just what she needs. They are all very lucky to have you to help create a magical vacation.:hug: Hope it is perfect as can be for all of you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter