Teen Debit Card Suggestions?

connorlevismom

DIS Veteran
I would like to get my teen (almost 14) a debit card but I am lost with all the choices. We bank at WF, but I don't see them listed as any of the top ones. I see Greenlight consistently on the top, but the cost seems pretty steep to just have a debit card.

Does anyone have any card they would recommend?

I would like to get my teen (almost 14) a debit card but I am lost with all the choices. We bank at WF, but I don't see them listed as any of the top ones. I see Greenlight consistently on the top, but the cost seems pretty steep to just have a debit card.

Does anyone have any card they would recommend?

Our kids just got debit cards for their long standing local credit union accounts.

It served them well until after college when they had a handle on how to do their own finances. .

We started with Visa Buxx cards, then shifted to the Student Banking program with Wells Fargo that includes a checking account with debit card, a savings account and a credit card.

Our kids had savings accounts at one of the banks we used (Chase if 8t matters). When it came time for a checking account (around HS age when they had a need to spend and ability to make money), we just added it on with Chase.

Any checking account should have debit card access. I don't understand why one is necessarily better than another.
Can they make mobile deposits?
Can they use a debit card?
Can they get cash from an ATM?
Can they do direct deposits (assuming they have a job)?

What more are you looking for?

It was easy for our kids to apply for credit cards at 18.

Once they got the first card, word got out and they got new cc offers every other day in the mail.

Never got debit cards for the kids.

We opted to add them as authorized users on one of our credit cards.

Helps build their credit and has advantages over a debit card.
How do the access their bank account without a debit card?
Here your debit card is used for ATM and purchases.

OP what does your kid’s bank account include? Wouldn’t it need to be connected to his bank?

OP what does your kid’s bank account include? Wouldn’t it need to be connected to his bank?
I never had my kids pay any expenses with their money. Any money earned was saved for when they were on their own.

Each started with about $5000 when on their own. Helped greatly with first and last month rents and such.

They spent responsible using my money.

I never had my kids pay any expenses with their money. Any money earned was saved for when they were on their own.

Each started with about $5000 when on their own. Helped greatly with first and last month rents and such.

They spent responsible using my money.
I don’t care what they spend it on.
Just curious how do they access it without a debit card?
Or maybe debit card means something different in the USA then in Canada?

I don’t care what they spend it on.
Just curious how do they access it without a debit card?
Or maybe debit card means something different in the USA then in Canada?
A debit card in the US is a card that draws from a checking or savings account.

I don’t have a debit card and have recommended to my adult children that they too should never have a debit card.

Credit cards have two main advantages.

1. If compromised it is not your money that needs to be returned. If your debit card is compromised and your account is drained just before your mortgage payment is due to be withdrawn it is a problem. If your credit card is compromised and 10’s of thousands are fraudulently charged, it’s not your money and doesn’t affect your mortgage payment or other bills.

2. You can earn rewards with a credit card.

As for how my adult kids and myself access our checking accounts, we have ATM cards. Bank cards without a Visa or MC logo that only work in ATM cards. We have online access to pay bills using online banking.

I just got an account with my local bank and it worked great. It's a regional multi-state bank. Originally I had an account with Cap Fed where my mom had an account there but when we found out we weren't going to be able to have a debit card and it was just an ATM card we closed the account.

I don’t have a debit card and have recommended to my adult children that they too should never have a debit card.

1. If compromised it is not your money that needs to be returned. If your debit card is compromised and your account is drained just before your mortgage payment is due to be withdrawn it is a problem. If your credit card is compromised and 10’s of thousands are fraudulently charged, it’s not your money and doesn’t affect your mortgage payment or other bills.

As for how my adult kids and myself access our checking accounts, we have ATM cards. Bank cards without a Visa or MC logo that only work in ATM cards. We have online access to pay bills using online banking.
I see.
In Canada your ATM card is a debit card.
You need it to present to a teller to make transactions, log into the website/app, use an ATM, etc.

We don’t have separate cards.

I see.
In Canada your ATM account is a debit card.
You need it to present to a teller to make transactions, log into the website/app, use an ATM, etc.
We have that too where your debit card functions in an ATM but there is also a card that you can get that only works in an ATM it doesn't work to withdraw money from your account by any other method but an ATM and can't be used to purchase things. I don't know how many people have that but that was the kind I originally had and I closed the account because of that and moved to a bank that gave me a debit card.

When daughter turned 17 and started a part time job at the mall, we got her a debit card thru Wells Fargo. It was a totally new opened account in daughters name and mine BUT only connected to her account (the money she makes from her job). Money goes in via direct deposit. When she gets paid, some (most of it) goes into her account and the rest in debit. Her debit/account is kept small on purpose in case it's stolen/lost and is NOT connected to any other accounts we have.

I have to dig a little deeper on what our bank includes. She currently just has a saving account there and I would only want the checking account linked to the card as she will not be keeping a ton of money in there. I just want her to have a card, rather than carrying cash around. And it is would be easy for me to transfer money into her account for things like allowance.

It would be hard to teach in an unfamiliar system so just my opinion but I wouldn't put kids at a different bank since it is the parents standing that helps the kids get a good jumping off into adult finances.

We started ours with student accounts at our regular bank with me as a secondary user and a small savings for backup & overflow. All our accounts are linked under me to meet $ requirements. I was able to keep an eye on their accounts and intervene as needed, it took a bit to get the hang of avoiding fees which can grow absurdly large with the way funds lag now IMO. These student accounts never bumped up to adult versions so they still have way better terms than adult accounts & just keep them around as backup accounts at this point.

I don't believe a 14 year old can be added to your credit card account. We added our son the minute he turned 18, but he had to be 18 before we could do it. Also, I only want our daughter to be able to spend HER money and not use my card to purchase things she might not have the money to pay me back for.

As an adult I do not use a debit card at all and I would never give one to a child. I have heard so many horror stories about debit cards, even those who are geared towards kids that have supposed safeguards. I also work in online retail and I handle frantic inquiries from people who don't understand the ins and outs of debit cards. Credit cards just offer so many more perks, options and protections and faster customer service (not necessarily better, but more expeditious resolutions). I would get a credit card if at all possible.

As an adult I do not use a debit card at all and I would never give one to a child. I have heard so many horror stories about debit cards, even those who are geared towards kids that have supposed safeguards. I also work in online retail and I handle frantic inquiries from people who don't understand the ins and outs of debit cards. Credit cards just offer so many more perks, options and protections and faster customer service (not necessarily better, but more expeditious resolutions). I would get a credit card if at all possible.

I know the Canadian banking is more regulated and secure than the American system.
Majority of Canadians use debit cards and have for 30 years now.
I’m taking it that debit cards are very different in the US.
Extremely secure here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter