Teen birthday party question - anyone's kids gone to one like this?

soccerdad72

DIS Veteran
My 13-year old son just got an invite from a classmate to her birthday party. What struck me as odd is that it's at an upscale restaurant (a steakhouse) in the middle of Saturday afternoon. Seemed like an odd place for a 13th birthday party with classmates. :confused3 Kind of curious what a group of 13 year old will do for 3 hours there (besides eat :p )?

So, just wondering if anyone's kids have gone to a birthday party like this? :scratchin

Maybe someone in the family owns/manages it and they have something special planned?

My DS is 12, soon to be 13. He's in 7th grade with an April bday, so most of his friends are turning 13 now throughout the school year. He still gets invited to a lot of bday parties. And none of them have been at restaurants (well, there's usually pizza involved and some of them WIND UP at a pizza place following the bday activities.) Most of them are indoor pool parties, batting cages, bowling alleys, etc. Can't say that I've heard of any at restaurants (especially upscale one.) Perhaps like pp said, a family member owns it? Otherwise I agree, that seems kind of strange for a "kids" birthday party - especially a 3 hour one!

Does the restaurant have a banquet room? Maybe they needed the space to accommodate all the people they invited.

Does the restaurant have a banquet room? Maybe they needed the space to accommodate all the people they invited.

I just looked it up -- they do have a banquet room and the restaurant itself is only open for dinner, so maybe it's a large family party that some of her classmates were invited to.

My 13-year old son just got an invite from a classmate to her birthday party. What struck me as odd is that it's at an upscale restaurant (a steakhouse) in the middle of Saturday afternoon. Seemed like an odd place for a 13th birthday party with classmates. :confused3 Kind of curious what a group of 13 year old will do for 3 hours there (besides eat :p )?

So, just wondering if anyone's kids have gone to a birthday party like this? :scratchin
Sounds like someone is trying to be fancy. :laughing:

If it is a separate room, I wouldn't think it too odd - perhaps they'll have music or dancing. If it's not, well... hm, maybe they're very refined 13 year olds. ;)

With a banquet hall at a nicer place and 13th birthday my first thought was maybe it is a Bat Mitzvah and classmates are invited to the party but not the ceremony? :confused3

We had DD10's party at a Japanese steakhouse, the kids LOVED it! I'm guessing since the restaurant isn't open to the public at that time, it will be catered or they will have options from a very select menu. We had DH's grandmother's 80th party at a place like that and that's how they handled it. It was nice having the place to ourselves and not worry about disturbing other diners. Don't know what teens will do for 3 hours though...

With a banquet hall at a nicer place and 13th birthday my first thought was maybe it is a Bat Mitzvah and classmates are invited to the party but not the ceremony? :confused3

I thought about that, but it specifically says Birthday on the invite -- no mention of Bat Mitzvah anywhere. :confused3

I thought about that, but it specifically says Birthday on the invite -- no mention of Bat Mitzvah anywhere. :confused3

The only one I ever went to (nearly 30 years ago :eek: ) was for a close friend--I know her parents put "birthday" on the invite because they did not want any of the kids coming to feel they had to buy a nicer/more expensive gift than they would for a normal birthday party. Could be something like that (or not the case at all :rotfl:)

I guess it all kind of depends what your version of an upscale steakhouse is. :goodvibes

DS went to a party at Outback once. Some parents viewed it as rather upscale for a bunch of teens, while others equated it more with a sitdown McDonalds. :snooty: Some parents thought it was crazy, some thought it perfect for kids. But between eating, opening presents and just hanging out, 2 hours seemed short.

Teen restaurant parties seem to be popular in our area. Around here, a popular teen bday party is taking a group to Benihanas.

However, if they are going to be there for 3 hours, they must have stuff planned along with the meal.

It wouldn't be that unusual if the birthday kid has a family member who works there/owns it. In a lot of restaurants the hours are long. It becomes a second home to the families too.

The best kind of birthday parties involve steak. Hell, even at 13 I knew that!

3NlIq0a.png

Upscale, like Ruth Chris or Morton's? Man I would be jealous. :rotfl:

Something like Outback, Longhorn, etc would just be a birthday dinner "out".

Taking friends out to eat is fun. I have frequently taken dd's and friends out for birthdays. Esp. as teens. They are done with the whole "birthday games" and just want to eat and talk anyway.

I bet they have a separate room booked. I bet they will have a meal then cake and open presents. Then just hang around and chat for a bit and leave. I guess that could take about 3 hours.

It doesn't seem at all odd to me. They probably didn't want the party at home and decided to have it there because the kid wanted a steak dinner, or they know the restaurant owners or something. Parties in a private room at a restaurant are not at all unusual around here, and I wouldn't expect it to be less than three hours. By the time everyone arrives, socializes, eats, has cake and opens presents, the time will fly by.

Upscale, like Ruth Chris or Morton's? Man I would be jealous. :rotfl:

Something like Outback, Longhorn, etc would just be a birthday dinner "out".

Taking friends out to eat is fun. I have frequently taken dd's and friends out for birthdays. Esp. as teens. They are done with the whole "birthday games" and just want to eat and talk anyway.

Looks like closer to Morton's than Outback -- $30 steaks and side dishes on the menu a la carte, that sort of thing.

I'm sure it'll be a nice party and I know my son is looking forward to it (he's 13, so he's trying to act indifferent, though :p ).

Looks like closer to Morton's than Outback -- $30 steaks and side dishes on the menu a la carte, that sort of thing.

I'm sure it'll be a nice party and I know my son is looking forward to it (he's 13, so he's trying to act indifferent, though :p ).

That is sweet. Sounds good to me for a party! :wave2:

DD#2 celebrated her 15th birthday, with 5 of her friends, at The Sugar Factory in NYC.

She has a few other friends who have celebrated there also.

Just last week she went to Max Brenner for a birthday dinner.

I guess this is the new fad for teen birthdays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter