• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Teen Activities

ryjoe300

Earning My Ears
HAS ANYONE HAD THEIR TEENS PARTICIPATE IN THE ACTIVITIES? DID THEY MAKE FRIENDS?

THANKS

I was ages 17 and 18 when I visited Common Grounds (the teen hang out room for teens only). I made TONS of friends! I met people from all over the country, and still talk to some today. My sister and I (who was a few years younger than me at the time) went to the dances, played the games and participated in numerous activites. It was a GREAT time! The counselors are fun and include everyone and make it a fabulous trips for teens. On Castaway Cay there is also a portion of the beach for just teens (I didn't happen to go there, though. My sister and I spent the day with the rest of our family on the family beach). I recommend Common Grounds to any teen whether he/she is 13 or 17. They won't regret it!!:D

Thanks so much for your reply. My sister are going with us. They are 13 & 15. I want them to have the best time they can have. Thanks again!

My son was 16 when we cruised and he made quite a few friends.

Anne

My older son was 15 on his first Disney cruise & went to CG & made a ton of friends also - who he still communicates via e-ml & cell phone with. They are from all over the US.
Before we went we reviewed what the teen excursions are & what there is to do (i.e. scavenger hunt, raft building, etc.) & he didn't care for any of it - or so he thought. I asked him to at least sign up for the teen excursions and to try participating & see how it goes & although he looked like I just gave him castor oil he agreed to.
Of course - HE LOVED EVERYTHING !!!!!
I gave him (& his 12yo brother) the option of sailing this Oct. on any cruise line they wanted & we reviewed what there is to do on the others & they had such a great time & made such good friends on the Wonder that they wouldn't even consider another line.
Help any??:bounce: :Pinkbounc

My son was a freshman the first cruise and just finished sophomore year the second time. He had a blast. Made friends with people he still emails and we are leaving June 7 for our first Western and I know two of the kids he met will be on the boat. He is so excited about seeing them again.

My 14yo ds make a lot of friends on our Disney cruise last year. We hardly ever saw him!! I think the most important thing to do is to go to the teen meet the first night at Common Ground.

I recently cruised with three teens on the Magic eastern. Teens programs got very mixed reviews from my three teens. DD 17 enjoyed it although she didn't really make any friendships that she will maintain after the cruise. This could be because she is on the brink of joining the army and seems to be sort of distancing herself abit- I suspect to make the parting easier. Ds 15 rejected the teens program but not because the activities didn't appeal to him- rather his idea of a vacation was the luxury of doing nothing at all! he loved being on his own, ordered room service A LOT!! He made friends with his room steward, even played basketball with the crew a number of times! He enjoyed the whole cruise even though he did not get involved in any scheduled teen activities. DD 13 hated the teens club! Just hated it. Felt very out of place, felt left out. She stated that the older teens were all just busy hanging out and "pairing up", she found coomon grounds boring. After two days we got her put into the group of twelve year olds- she liked this much better. She thought thier activities were more varied and fun. The crew sort of discouraged this switch initially but we talked to the counselors and they made it happen for her. I guess the bottom line is that it depends on the kid. Just pay attention and ask how it is going for them. Remember that it is hier vacation too. At first I was concerned that DS was not getting involved and then I backed off when I realized that he was actually quite happy spending time alone, relaing and being the master of his own vacation. To each his own eh?! Have a great time. I know everyone will!

Sounds like my son. Our first cruise he didn't join in as much and make friends. He was a freshman and loved the freedom to come and go that he didn't have at home. And loved being able to eat pizza anytime without asking for money or if he could. The second cruise he joined in more and made great friends...some he's looking forward to seeing again in less than a week!

Originally posted by PurpleFigment
I was ages 17 and 18 when I visited Common Grounds (the teen hang out room for teens only).

We are cruising in August and I've asked this various places before but were you given any trouble going in to the teen things/Common Grounds when you were 18? My daughter just graduated from HS last night and she will be 18 when we cruise. A friend is going with her and she is only 16 or 17... I had heard that others have been invited in when they are right out of school or with younger friends or siblings. Can you give me any insite? I would hate for one to miss going to Common Grounds because the other couldn't go... or wouldn't go into CG because the other couldn't. I hope I am making sense! Thanks so much for helping me out.
Nancy

I was 14 when I went last year and I loved CG. I thought everything was great. I still talk with some of the girls that I met last time. I will be fifteen and going this summer and I can't wait. i thought the counselors and activities were great. I think probably the most important thing is to go to the 411 which is the first night and they explain everything. That way, you know what's going on and don't feel left out. Also, a really good thing I think is the Junkaroo Jam for the Wonder and the Fury Catamaran for the Magic. I remember a lot of kids met each other that way. Also, another thing is to start meeting kids in the beginning. I didn't start acutally talking to people like the third night which was horrible because I was leaving the next day. This time I am going to start talking to kids earlier. I thought the counselors were great, sometimes they could maybe lean towards interacting to the most out-going kids, but that's natural. Overall, it is a real blast.

Kraig

Our kids were 17 (DD) and 14 (DS) last summer. The first night there is a "greet & meet" session at Common Grounds. They met up with some kids and an instant bond occurred. They hung out all week (this was one of the first times DD didn't act like DS was a third wheel). There was a group of 6-8 teens going to all the activities and they had a blast - didn't see any pairing up to speak of. We are still in touch with a couple of families and one has visited in our town.

One night when parents at another table went to Palos, all the kids ate at that table. One night when we and other adults at our table went to Palos, all the kids ate at our table (we asked servers first if it was OK). We later got reports from the servers that they behaved very nicely.

Re question about the 18yo. DD will be 18 this year so we emailed customer services the question. They said she can participate in the teen activities but she has to make a decision - to be a teen all week or an adult all week. She can't be a teen when she wants and go bar hopping the next night. For her - no choice - TEEN!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter