• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Team Mickey - Biggest Loser "No Excuses" 2012 Challenge

OK, so my weight rebounded after the stomach bug last week. I'm going to send in my starting weight tomorrow morning. I hope to also start working out tomorrow at some point.

Been not so great today. Had a few drinks and some pancakes and bacon. TOnight we had grilled chicken and potatoes. Watching a Christmas movie with Brian and my parents.

QOTD: 12/31/11: I will achieve my goals because I am determined to do so! We are going on PCC 3.0 so that is my motivation. Been slacking on exercising the past several months but have made a goal to do better in 2012. I got BL for the XBOX and Just Dance 3 so that should help me! I also plan to get back on my focused Herbalife plan!

QOTD: 1/1/12: I have to say that until recently I only tracked my food in my head but using something similar to fitnesspal I have found out how important it is. Not only focusing on the calories but also the protein and carbs is making more sense to me. Being a fitness coach has made me much more aware.

I hope everyone had a great New Year's Day. We sorted through our DVDs and I also did some work on the living room and helped Mom cleaning up downstairs. We also watched the Patriots game and luckily it turned out well. Hoping to take Ash to see Hugo tomorrow afternoon as we have both been really looking forward to seeing it. Izzie has dancing so Brian will take her while I take Ash to the movies. Back to school on Tuesday for the girls and work for Brian and me. Parents will hang here. Wednesday I will take my mom shopping in NH.

Going to take it easy the rest of the night! We slept in this morning and hope to do that again in the morning.

TTFN :tigger:

Ahh.. I finally got a little time to sit down and read through all 10 pages, so I feel caught up so that i can make my first post to the team.

Let's see:

QOTD 1: Please introduce yourself and tell us about your goals for this challenge

I'm Dana.. I'm a 39 year old mother of 1 college student, I'm married to the best husband in the world. I work a high stress, long hour job for children's services. In addition to that, I run an online jewelry shop through etsy, and I am finishing up my last semester of my master's degree. So, I'm busy, but I need to learn to put my health first. I have hypothyroidism and was feeling pretty bad here lately, so I went for some bloodwork. My thyroid levels are high, and it turns out I'm anemic. So, I go on tuesday to get my meds adjusted and hope that will help me feel a little better.

Oh, and I'm going to disney for a few days at the end of march.

This is my first challenge, but I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired LOL. I have a LOT of weight to lose, not comfy telling the total right now.

But, let's see... my goals for this challenge:

The challenge lasts about 20 weeks, so that will be my goal. 20lbs.
I'm not going to add a bunch of goals because my plate is so full as it is, so I just want to focus on getting healthier and lose the 20 pounds to get me started in the right direction.

How will you make sure you achieve your goals this challenge and this year?
I will participate in daily postings and readings on the WISH board. I know I need to develop a better support system.
I will develop a habit of journaling my food intake.
I tend to shy away from the scale when I know weight is creeping up on me. So, I will weigh in and measure 1 time per week.

QOTD 3: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss?
Absolutely, I know that when I track my food, I lose weight much more easily. I also know that I make better food choices if I am going to have to write it down and track it!

Personal goals for week 1
Journal everyday
Lose 1 pound
NO candy. I am a candy nut! NO candy this week.

not eating out is something we HAVE to do! saves money AND makes me eat less (cuz my cooking's not that good!)

To give you an idea on how much we spend eating out, I have tallied January to July and our total for fast food and table service was $6091.20, Starbucks for January to July was $1295.70 I told the kids today that the total so far would have paid for our 2 upcoming Disney trips, the first one I may have to cancel because of lack of funds. They were speechless. I still need to tally the rest of the year but I would guess that we are probably close to 12,000 for food and Starbucks. On top of that my grocery bill probably tops out at $1000-$1500 a month if I don't shop a list or coupons. I have grocery receipts but I do a lot of shopping at Target so I need to see how that stacks up against Stop and Shop.
Yes we spend a lot on eating out, it's something we love to do. It's not realistic for us to stop eating at restaurants or going to Starbucks, however I am putting a monthly cap on the eating out. $200 a month for table service (That's approx 2 meals for us, 6 people = a high bill) and I'm not sure about Starbucks yet, probably $50 for the month, that would be about 2-3 visits.

FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T SAY THIS WHEN AUNT FLO IS VISITING ME!!:lmao:

In all total honesty yes, I absolutely could do this. Love straight sugar. And it does indeed cure hiccups:thumbsup2 And Aunt Flo is known for putting entirely odd cravings in my head. It is not always easy to ignore them when they are of the food variety. Please, I beg you for next 3-4 days. DO NOT help her out:worship:

LOL, Hey Flo!!!! No sugar for you!!!!!!! We will drown you with water!!!!!

QOTD Monday, January 2, 2012: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss?
* Yes, definitely
* Maybe, it depends on the person
* No, I don't think it's necessary

Yes, it is most important, especially as you get older. They say weight loss is 80% food and 20% exercise when you are 30 years plus.

Attention Team Mickey!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need coaches. PM me if you are interested. Everyone has their own style for coaching. I try to do replies on most days and on other days, make a general post to all of you to cheer you on. Some people reply to every post and others do a big general post. The 2 main roles you have are to post the Question of the Day (QOTD) and to cheer your teammates on.

Hope to hear from some of you soon!

I'll coach CC, just throw me in anywhere!! Just send me a reminder.

I PM'd my weight :scared1: and joined my fitness pal. Have 2 more glasses of water to drink tonight and am still reading trying to learn all about this challenge.

What's your fitness pal ID?? Mine is my user name.

Food tracked: CHECK
Exercise done: CHECK (Did Biggest Loser on the kinect)
64 ounces water drank: CHECK
To Do list wrote out for tomorrow: CHECK

Now I must share with you a funny moment. Okay funny for you, me not so much:

Alan had gone to Publix earlier to grab a few things, milk being one of them. So I went in the kitchen a few minutes ago to pour a glass of milk. I was totally not paying attention, poured a glass, took a big swig, and immediately spit it into the sink, "What the heck Alan?? What did you buy?" "Huh, what?" I go back to open up the fridge and take a closer look at the gallon of milk.....

FAT FREE!!

not 2%

Okay, now I need to brush my teeth and mouthwash. I can't get that taste out of my mouth..

Hi Everyone!

It is nice to see so many familiar names and quite a few new members as well.

I participated last winter, but then haven't been back.

My name is Nancy,,,I am not a Princess, just want to be!!! :rotfl2:

I am 45. I would like to lose 25 pounds for this challenge.

DH and I joined a little local Gym. So far so good. I got 6 free training sessions and a great deal to buy 3 more. I am going to use those once a week for 8 more weeks, so that should help alot.

My fitness goal is to run a 5K. I want to run the whole thing. DH and I did the Disney 1/2 in 2006. We ran/walked. I just want to be strong enough to actually run a 5K.

Since we live in warm sunny Ohio :laughing: I have not chosen a 5K yet, as it will have to be when the warm weather returns!! Currently I am doing the couch to 5k program.

I am on Fitness Pal also. My name on there is nrade. I will try to look some of you up.

Finally, can I read the DIS on my iPhone? Sh got me one for Christmas :lovestruc
I am learning how to use it.

Oh yeah CC I will coach...Do you need someone the week of Jan 22? If not then any other week is fine.

Best of luck to everyone!!

Nancy

Which leads me to the Question of the Day for Sunday, January 1, 2012: How will you make sure you achieve your goals this challenge and this year?

Sent in my weigh-in, still flirting with going back to 250, at 247 tonight.

I had my last long run for my Half Marathon training tonight, 10 miles on the treadmill. Drinking the water today was no problem! I had 72 oz on my 10 mile run alone. It's way too hot here in the house to be running those distances on the treadmill...

Well, my first step for achieving my goals this year has been to join in this BL event :) We were at the store yesterday and I forgot to pick up a notebook. I've got tomorrow off of work still, so I'll head out and pick one up.

I make my own at home and they are about 290 calories:

1 scrambled egg (don't like egg whites)
1 Nature's Own English muffin
2 pieces of Hormel Canadian bacon
1 piece of Kraft single American cheese

YUM!!

Sounds yummy!! May have to give that one a try! I have a horrible habit of NOT eating bkfst :rolleyes1

Which brings me to the QOTD.

QOTD Monday, January 2, 2012: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss?
* Yes, definitely

ABSOULUTELY important!! I use the USDA food tracker...which reminds me I need to go do that in just a minute. Need to start off the new year right :)

I need coaches. PM me if you are interested. Everyone has their own style for coaching. I try to do replies on most days and on other days, make a general post to all of you to cheer you on. Some people reply to every post and others do a big general post. The 2 main roles you have are to post the Question of the Day (QOTD) and to cheer your teammates on.

I will be happy to do this. If I could have a date a few weeks into the program so I can see how this all works I would really appreciate it. Will PM you :)

I just sent in my weight and that was sad to see, but I am sure that I will be able to lose this weight by making some changes and sticking to them. Which leads me to the QOTD: 1/1/12.

I am going to start eating better, drinking more water and working out 5 days a week. My DD is taking a class in college and she has to go to the gym so I am going with her and a friend of mine is joining us. We are on a mission. :laughing:

Something else that I am going to look into is healthy new meals that my family will enjoy. We all need to cut out junk food and eat better. This is something that I really want to do. This will make DH happy too because he gets mad when I buy the kids fast food.

I am getting excited to start this tomorrow. :yay:

Gosh, I go to a family party for a few hours and the thread gains an additional 5 pages. :rotfl2: I did read everything but am too tired to do individual replies. But whoever is going to be staying at AKV, we loved our studio at Kidani in May 2010!

I did a 20 minute intermediate level Zumba workout this morning. :thumbsup2 I also drank 34 oz of water, which is a heck of a lot more than I have been drinking. I did not fully meet my goals at the party-didn't eat any vegetables, but did have a few strawberries. I had a bit of cream soda and a teeny bit of apple cider. I had a few desserts, but not nearly as much as I have eaten in years past, and I didn't leave stuffed. I also got some exercise playing Twister with the younger cousins-they had a child sized version that is definitely not meant for adults!

I came home and took a nap, then had the rest of my one tuxedo strawberry from last night and a few bites of a fruit tart. Then I had a lot of cereal-chocolate rice crispies. :rolleyes1 But I will write it all down and keep going tomorrow.

Alan had gone to Publix earlier to grab a few things, milk being one of them. So I went in the kitchen a few minutes ago to pour a glass of milk. I was totally not paying attention, poured a glass, took a big swig, and immediately spit it into the sink, "What the heck Alan?? What did you buy?" "Huh, what?" I go back to open up the fridge and take a closer look at the gallon of milk.....

FAT FREE!!

not 2%

Okay, now I need to brush my teeth and mouthwash. I can't get that taste out of my mouth..

:rotfl2: Your reaction the the fat free is what I would have done if I drank 2% I don't like milk to begin with but if it's not fat free I can't do it.

I had my last long run for my Half Marathon training tonight, 10 miles on the treadmill. Drinking the water today was no problem! I had 72 oz on my 10 mile run alone. It's way too hot here in the house to be running those distances on the treadmill...

Well, my first step for achieving my goals this year has been to join in this BL event :) We were at the store yesterday and I forgot to pick up a notebook. I've got tomorrow off of work still, so I'll head out and pick one up.

Good job with the 10 miles on the treadmill :cool1:

I didn't stick to an eating plan too well today but I did track most of what I did eat. My DS decided today would be a good day to stop taking naps and was super whiny a lot. I did get in 15 minutes on the Wii Fit which is better than nothing but it's hard to do those exercises with a 9 month old hanging on your legs :rolleyes1 At least it was a start though and I'll do better tomorrow.

* Yes, definitely

Have a great evening all! ::MickeyMo

I think it can definitely be helpful if knowing you have to write it down keeps you from eating something you shouldn't. Do I do it as much as I should? No, because usually I don't actually want to see what I've eaten written down in black and white.

* Yes, definitely

I think journaling and tracking food is important for those who do it. I am planning on journaling this time around....but I really stink at it. I am horrible about doing stuff like that daily. (I was never the girl who kept a diary either).

Michelle (yanni2)

Hi, all! I'm Bridgett. I don't see my name on the list, but I'm a late joiner and was assigned to Team Mickey last night. Go Team Mickey!!! :cheer2:

I need to figure out how to send a PM in for my weight, but I'm really excited to join you guys and so appreciate the encouragement. I'm 5'4" and 193. Ideally, I'd love to lose between 60 and 70 pounds. Right now, that seems quite daunting, so I'll stick with a goal of 5 pounds at a time.

I read an article recently where a lady made very minor modifications to her diet and lost on average a 1/2 a week. It took her two years, but she lost over 60 pounds. She has kept it off for over 5 years, but her whole point was not to be discouraged over small numbers on the scale. As long as it's going down, it all adds up. It was very motivating, as I think so many of us want to race to the finish line. I guess I really do have to start viewing it as a journey, not a destination! :rolleyes1

So Happy New Year, everyone! Let's set small goals this week. Mine...journaling and taking a multi-vitamin. :thumbsup2

* Yes, definitely

I think journaling and tracking food is important for those who do it. I am planning on journaling this time around....but I really stink at it. I am horrible about doing stuff like that daily. (I was never the girl who kept a diary either).

Michelle (yanni2)

Yes, I think it's very important to track what you eat every day. I have found that when I don't track it I will eat more and not really notice it. I plan to write down every thing that I eat to help me stay on track.

QOTD: Journaling

Yes, I feel it's extremely important. Why? I can only speak for myself in saying that I'm where I'm at because I've forgotten what it's like to eat like I should - both from a portion size and from a nutritional stand point. Journaling helps bring visibility to my bad habits and eating patterns.

If you are interested in tracking via a cell, tablet and/or computer, there are so many free websites out there that can help you - sparkpeople.com is a really good one.

Hey Mickeys, you're so fine! ::MickeyMo

* Yes, definitely

Tracking is essential to my success. When I am faithful about tracking and staying within my calorie range I do very well. When I'm not so diligent, I usually end up maintaining.

The big eye opener for me was also tracking calories burned for various activities. They are much, much less than you would think. That helped me to realize that just because I exercised didn't mean I could go off plan for my eating that day. It also helped me to make better choices because I didn't want to work off the calories of "treats" unless it was something really, really good.

For example, I ran a half marathon in September. That's 13.1 miles. I was out there for just a tad over 4 hours. I weighed over 200 pounds. How many calories do you think I burned? 2,000? 3,000? 4,000? Nope, 1697. You could easily undo all that work in a trip through the drive through at McDonald's.

I pulled out a new spiral and am going to try something new. I track all my food and everything on my Sparkpeople account. However, I'm going to use this notebook to write down what I accomplished for the day, my to do list for the next day, etc etc. It'll be easier to get to then having to go through the hassle of logging into my Sparkpeople and blah blah blah.

I have a notebook, too, Kristina, and it helps to have other info there. I agree the phone is not always convenient or as fast as just writing it down! :goodvibes

Did you PM dvccruiser76 (Sue) your starting weight? Please remember to tell her you are on Team Mickey!

I am having a problem logging in to myfitnesspal today. My computer freezes when I enter my password. Anyone else? :confused3

Today has been an on plan day. Actually, I haven't eaten much of anything. For some reason, I'm not very hungry. Perhaps it's the stomache? :rolleyes1 I think I better do some more research on what is truly GF. :idea:

Thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup2

I didn't have any problems with myfitnesspal on my iPhone or computer. Sometimes I think you need to reboot your computer to reset your cookies or something like that. Hope its better today.

Hope that you are feeling better today, too. I think it's going to take some time for your body to get over the effects of the gluten. :flower3:

I just joined as a part of Team Mickey. I am so excited as we (my husband) and I are trying to lose weight starting today! I teach 7th graders and have two young children (5,6) one of which is special needs. He is kind of my push in this as I want to be able to care for him as long as possible as his condition is progressive. My husband also told me that if I lost our agreed upon weight (29lbs) before my trip to WDW with my parents in May that he would join us for a few days as my incenitve. He is not a Disney fan so that would at least get him there with the kids!

It will take me a while to get caught up on all that is going on but for right now I am really excited just to get signed up.

:welcome: kjmommie! A trip to WDW in May sounds fun and good motivation! :cool2:

I also wanted to mention that some people are better than others at "guessing" at a portion size. I need to measure. :goodvibes

So true! :thumbsup2 Once you start measuring you sometimes find out your single portion is closer to a triple. :rolleyes1

Yes, please consider coaching! :flower3: You don't have to re-invent the wheel. We have a wonderful resource thread called Question of the Day Archive that you can use to help you find questions. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=35031934&postcount=1 Check out the recent holiday thread where we had a different coach every day to get an idea of the various coaching styles. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=43398705&postcount=3 It's a lot of fun, a good way to get to know other people, and coaches historically have a great week the week they are coaching because you are all so inspiring! :cool2:

It is time to go to the gym. I have to be there at 5 am when it opens so I can leave in time to get home and wake up DS for school. It's a bit hectic in the morning but it sure is nice to walk out of that gym at 5:45 am knowing that my exercise is done for the day. :woohoo:

I am working today but will be back for replies when I can. Have a great day!

Good morning everyone,
I am excited to be a part of Team Mickey and I look forward to getting to know you all. I will have my first official weigh-in for the new year on Thursday night after Weight Watchers. And then I will be part of our weekly loss.

Take care and see you soon.

Dave

Good morning Team Mickey! Well today I woke up to snow! Ugh. The drive to work wasn't that bad. I did manage to get up and treadmill 1.5 miles and eat breakfast at home. DH is off for the holiday so he is home with DD today (a little jealous that they are at home and I'm working, but I did just have the last two weeks off so I shouldn't complain huh?) Lunch will be some chicken teriyaki vegetables and rice. Dinner is tacos, but limiting myself to two instead of the four I usually eat! I can do this! (boy I sure hope I can! :rolleyes1) Have a great Monday everybody!

The big thing for me is going to be to journal. I have to focus on both my physical and emotional health. I am too much of a stress eater to not focus on both. (Right now I am craving chocolate.)

For me, absolutely! :thumbsup2 Knowing what I eat gives me valuable information. Could I be retaining water? Did I eat something with gluten in it? (Like today possibly :rolleyes1) Did I eat too little protein? Dairy helps me. Did I eat enough dairy? Etc.

I also wanted to mention that some people are better than others at "guessing" at a portion size. I need to measure. :goodvibes

i'm a stress eater too so writing down what i eat will hopefully make me think twice about the food i put into my mouth.

i need to measure too. it's sad what my interpretation of 4oz of meat is!

I think it definitely is an important part of weight loss, but I think a person has to be really dedicated to it. It is something that in the beginning is very time consuming and becomes easier as you go along. I have in the past kept a food diary and found myself getting bored. I really like the new ones like my fitness pal or sparkpeople (went ahead and checked it out) because it tracks calories, carbs, sugars etc. I agree with you a lot of people don't realize how much calories they are eating and burning when they do not keep a journal.

i like myfitnesspal too! it's nice to just plug in "banana" and it tells me how many calories, carbs, etc! makes it a no brainer to journal foods!

OK, so my weight rebounded after the stomach bug last week.

hate when that happens! wish the weight would stay off after stomach bugs!

To give you an idea on how much we spend eating out, I have tallied January to July and our total for fast food and table service was $6091.20, Starbucks for January to July was $1295.70 I told the kids today that the total so far would have paid for our 2 upcoming Disney trips, the first one I may have to cancel because of lack of funds. They were speechless. I still need to tally the rest of the year but I would guess that we are probably close to 12,000 for food and Starbucks. On top of that my grocery bill probably tops out at $1000-$1500 a month if I don't shop a list or coupons. I have grocery receipts but I do a lot of shopping at Target so I need to see how that stacks up against Stop and Shop.
Yes we spend a lot on eating out, it's something we love to do. It's not realistic for us to stop eating at restaurants or going to Starbucks, however I am putting a monthly cap on the eating out. $200 a month for table service (That's approx 2 meals for us, 6 people = a high bill) and I'm not sure about Starbucks yet, probably $50 for the month, that would be about 2-3 visits.

our problem isn't really eating out it's the take out/delivery. i guess that's the same thing. it's sooooo easy to be like, "meh, let's just get a pizza" or "hey on your way home can you pick up chinese"

not getting chinese will save money and my salt intake! :scared1:

FAT FREE!!

not 2%

lots of CHECKs!! nice job!!

i like milk, any kind so i would have been ok. i have to say though that i love my son's whole milk. i have to steer clear of it!

Hi Everyone!

It is nice to see so many familiar names and quite a few new members as well.

I participated last winter, but then haven't been back.

My name is Nancy,,,I am not a Princess, just want to be!!! :rotfl2:

I am 45. I would like to lose 25 pounds for this challenge.

DH and I joined a little local Gym. So far so good. I got 6 free training sessions and a great deal to buy 3 more. I am going to use those once a week for 8 more weeks, so that should help alot.

My fitness goal is to run a 5K. I want to run the whole thing. DH and I did the Disney 1/2 in 2006. We ran/walked. I just want to be strong enough to actually run a 5K.

Since we live in warm sunny Ohio :laughing: I have not chosen a 5K yet, as it will have to be when the warm weather returns!! Currently I am doing the couch to 5k program.

I am on Fitness Pal also. My name on there is nrade. I will try to look some of you up.

Finally, can I read the DIS on my iPhone? Sh got me one for Christmas :lovestruc
I am learning how to use it.

Oh yeah CC I will coach...Do you need someone the week of Jan 22? If not then any other week is fine.

Best of luck to everyone!!

Nancy

nah, you ARE a princess!

wow, 10 miles on the treadmill. that's amazing! i trained for my half all outside because i definitely think the treadmill is harder!

have to cut this short! i thought i planned enough time to post but i got suckered into driving my cousin to the airport in 3 minutes. :headache:

back later!! xoxo

i was all excited to get on the scale this morning b/c i did so well yesterday. didn't get the 10 lb loss i was hoping for. :lmao: didn't lose anything. oh well, slow and steady, right??

Good morning! I am getting back in a routine today since the holidays are now over and the kids started back to school today. I have started off with an egg for breakfast. My goal is to stick to protein for the most part because I tend to do better with that.

I am also going to get in some exercise today. I'm meeting my friend to work out tomorrow. :)

I hope everyone has a very good day. We can do this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter