Team Goddess - Volume 11. Rocking 2012 Goddess Style!

Hi Gina :wave:

So, I think I might have made mention of some compression shorts that I ordered. I'm hoping that the extra support will be what I need to keep my hip flexor/IT band pain to a minimum while running.

Today, the first 2 pairs arrived. Same shorts, different sizes because according to the sizing chart I fell right between two sizes. I pulled them out of the package and :scared1: they were TINY. They do stretch right? :faint:

The other pair that I ordered apparently haven't even shipped yet. bah. I was hoping to try the two different styles before I committed and actually wore one for a run!

Good evening!

Yesterday a staff member at the Y recognized me "Going to walk the track?" she asked. Um, yeah. :lmao: Who knew I was known?

And you're younger. I know it's only 7??? years. But it makes a difference for HR. I'm 45 this year - you're 38? Anyway it gives you much more HR room. To go harder. And higher HR.

Okay, missy. I'm only 37! I have months to 38! :rotfl:

No, I get it . Kind of. I think I might revisit this with you once I get past Princess training, or as i like to call it, The Most Wonderful Time of the Year. :rotfl2:

OK guys, I did it. I threw it away. And to make sure I never never ever dig it out of the garbage, one of the pups had an accident on the floor and the wet paper towels went right on top of it. HOORAY. Why on earth they bought such a big cake is beyond me. I think maybe my grandmother figured we'd freeze it like a wedding cake or something. Surprisingly I didn't feel bad throwing it out-- usually I despise throwing things away unless it has mold on it. I don't know where I picked that one up.

YAY!!! You will feel better that you threw it out! And good on you for having a realistic weight goal!

yes. I came back to this again :laughing: I was looking at getting some new shorts for my upcoming trips. The first word they use to describe them is "sporty" :lmao:

So. sporty. I mean, Nancy, LOOK at you. SPORTY.

I can't find shorts but that's another tale of woe for another time!

Another newbie here. I am looking for lots of moral support; by the looks of things, I think I've come to the right place!

Important to know:
My computer is ooooold--like over 10 years old. It's an eMac, too, and prone to acting up--blank screen, not turning on, so sometimes I can't be on the internet as I'd like... *sigh* ... I really need a new computer. I'm a SAHM and find myself constantly overeating. I don't have a female support system for weight loss, but own a treadmill. I often speak first, think later. I see Hidden Mickey's EVERYWHERE, and have an eye for spotting loose change on the ground (a talent my middle son has now picked up, lol). I go to the local bookstore and spend time looking at travel guides--and I never say no to chocolate.

Weight loss plan and goals:
I've been looking around W.I.S.H. to get ideas for weight loss, and have started participating in Couch to 5K, the February Challenge (my goal is 600 minutes in 29 days), and the Walk to Disney challenge (1,017 miles). I'd like to get down to 170 lbs. What I'd really like to do is participate in the a local Susan G. Komen Cancer Walk and, ultimately, a Disney 1/2 Marathon.

I'd also like to stop overeating... :confused3

Hi Gina!!! Welcome!!! I'd do one of those signs but I'm lazy about that. ;) But you get it.

Great goals. Let's talk Komen another time, okay? But 5K yes. You should do the Dogfish Head one! That's supposed to be a GREAT race and it's in DE!

I've found it to be really supportive here. And there are ADORABLE t-shirts :)

Aww, you had me at tshirt! Well, Mac, too but tshirt mostly. :goodvibes

Hi Gina!

I just found these awesome ladies myself this week and have spent the past few afternoons reading every single post so I can try and familiarize myself with everyone. One thing is for sure - everyone is fun, funNY, and take supportive to a whole new level!:cool1: You have come to the right place girlfriend!:cheer2:

WOW Kimberly! You get a gold star! Want extra credit? I can time travel you to our younger, more chatty selves in volumes 1-10. :rotfl: No, no, I like you. I wouldn't do that I promise!

This week has been challenging with eating but I have been tracking. And I dragged my sorry self to the gym even when I didn't want to go! On other news, I am feeling like I need to be home more (gym guilt) and I am in the midst of re-imagining the 3 Day walk I talked about doing. In short, I cannot fund raise that much for Komen after I learned how little goes to research.

* Kimberly, Rhi, Gina - my mom was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1996, occurrence in 2001, metastatic in 2004. Metastatic is Stage 4, and 155,000 people in the US live with it - on constant treatments (chemo) and they live from 1-20 years or more. Sadly, early detection has nothing to do with whether you will ever be diagnosed with BCmets/Stage 4.

My mom feels she'd rather not have $2300 go to Komen (which is the minimum for doing the 3 Day walk). She feels (and I agree) that they spend too much on publicity (75%) not enough on research grants, far too much on the safe, easy and comforting "facts" (like diet and exercise, which really don't lower your chances) and no time on the reality of Stage 4. So that debate and resolution has been occupying me for days. I'm not sure what I will end up doing, how far I will take things, what kind of challenge for walking and fundraising I will take up or how I will distribute the money.

Being a cog in the giant wheel isn't an option anymore - it's whether I create a huge new wheel or a tiny one. I will walk and I will fund raise, and I will be a voice. That's all I got now.

BTW, the Komen debate rages on in FB and other places - after the funding with PP was changed. I'm not touching that right now, since our issues with Komen go far beyond that and have been there longer. Still, it's a touchstone for many people tonight.

This week has been challenging with eating but I have been tracking. And I dragged my sorry self to the gym even when I didn't want to go! On other news, I am feeling like I need to be home more (gym guilt) and I am in the midst of re-imagining the 3 Day walk I talked about doing. In short, I cannot fund raise that much for Komen after I learned how little goes to research.

* Kimberly, Rhi, Gina - my mom was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1996, occurrence in 2001, metastatic in 2004. Metastatic is Stage 4, and 155,000 people in the US live with it - on constant treatments (chemo) and they live from 1-20 years or more. Sadly, early detection has nothing to do with whether you will ever be diagnosed with BCmets/Stage 4.

My mom feels she'd rather not have $2300 go to Komen (which is the minimum for doing the 3 Day walk). She feels (and I agree) that they spend too much on publicity (75%) not enough on research grants, far too much on the safe, easy and comforting "facts" (like diet and exercise, which really don't lower your chances) and no time on the reality of Stage 4. So that debate and resolution has been occupying me for days. I'm not sure what I will end up doing, how far I will take things, what kind of challenge for walking and fundraising I will take up or how I will distribute the money.

Being a cog in the giant wheel isn't an option anymore - it's whether I create a huge new wheel or a tiny one. I will walk and I will fund raise, and I will be a voice. That's all I got now.

BTW, the Komen debate rages on in FB and other places - after the funding with PP was changed. I'm not touching that right now, since our issues with Komen go far beyond that and have been there longer. Still, it's a touchstone for many people tonight.

Sorry about the rant that will follow...

I have never been a supporter of SGK for the same reason.

My first few years as a scientist were in cancer research in what we lovingly called the T&A group (but on paper we were the colorectal and breast cancer research in the lab). SGK brands itself as giving money to research, but the grants were laughable. Don't get me wrong, any drop in the bucket helps to the common goal, but if you're going to raise money to research-- give money to research. Don't half-*** it. In FY 2010, SGK brought in $311 MILLION dollars. If even half of that went towards research, I'd have a different stance on them (well, maybe not now that the whole PP thing is going on), but only $62 million of that is what went to research. I look at that as lives wasted. What did the other $248 million go to? Salaries? Lawsuits? Fundraising? It will cost a research group around $850 million (on the low end) over the course of around 10 years to bring one drug through pre-clinical research to FDA approval and the market. The "up to $7.5 million" grants offered by SGK seem like a lot on paper and do provide some opportunity to research things, but barely cover five years of pre-clinical research. I won't even touch on the $30k grants.

That being said, I have always supported friends who do the 3-day because it's a journey for the woman. Yes, I hate that my money goes towards an organization I don't agree with, but at the end of the day I'm chalking it up as supporting someone who means something to me. One friend's mom loves meeting up with a group of women who are all survivors she met doing the 3-day. It's powerful, and exactly what she needs as motivation to keep going.

It's not an easy decision. Are there any local groups that you can raise the money for instead?

Sorry about the rant that will follow...

I have never been a supporter of SGK for the same reason.

My first few years as a scientist were in cancer research in what we lovingly called the T&A group (but on paper we were the colorectal and breast cancer research in the lab). SGK brands itself as giving money to research, but the grants were laughable. Don't get me wrong, any drop in the bucket helps to the common goal, but if you're going to raise money to research-- give money to research. Don't half-*** it. In FY 2010, SGK brought in $311 MILLION dollars. If even half of that went towards research, I'd have a different stance on them (well, maybe not now that the whole PP thing is going on), but only $62 million of that is what went to research. I look at that as lives wasted. What did the other $248 million go to? Salaries? Lawsuits? Fundraising? It will cost a research group around $850 million (on the low end) over the course of around 10 years to bring one drug through pre-clinical research to FDA approval and the market. The "up to $7.5 million" grants offered by SGK seem like a lot on paper and do provide some opportunity to research things, but barely cover five years of pre-clinical research. I won't even touch on the $30k grants.

That being said, I have always supported friends who do the 3-day because it's a journey for the woman. Yes, I hate that my money goes towards an organization I don't agree with, but at the end of the day I'm chalking it up as supporting someone who means something to me. One friend's mom loves meeting up with a group of women who are all survivors she met doing the 3-day. It's powerful, and exactly what she needs as motivation to keep going.

It's not an easy decision. Are there any local groups that you can raise the money for instead?

Bring on the rants! Bring on the rants! :goodvibes

Thanks for getting it and adding your voice, too. Komen is a sacred cow among women - it's scary to go up against them.

I am considering the Avon 2 day - they lay out exactly where all the money in 2011 went. I am also considering doing my own walk - just me and whoever will join me - fundraising for that, and donating it directly to stage 4 research. While wearing blue, to make a point. ;)

I have to think it out. Today I am talking to my school mom friend who first asked me to do the 3 day, laying it out for her, seeing where she is. If I have to do it alone, I will. I will not support them ever again, though.

Oh, dear. I didn't know about SGK's problems with PP; I most certainly not be participating in any of SGK activities, now that I know what's going on. I had just thrown a name out there, because it was the only one I could think of (probably due to all the advertising) as far as non-Disney marathons go. I still would like to try a smaller marathon before next year's 1/2 marathon at Disney; if I rubbed anyone wrong, I apologize.

Hi All!

Kelly - yes I'm always on the look out for you. :lovestruc You're much too young to have chronic pain. Research those tables - good and bad and warnings but some have stated their sciatica has just lessened greatly. And And the one I linked - he said there's been no one injuring themselves/falling out as in others. And I did think of you. :rotfl2: ;);) Also, he said to never ever start at full inversion.

As for the chiropractor I agree with Nancy. My mom LOVED it but there has been great controversy with neck manipulations here in the last couple of years.

Yeah - the falling off things are a problem :rotfl2:

Im going to ask around, see if friends / family have a chiropractor they can recommend - I figure, it can't hurt to go and see what they say :confused3

OK guys, I did it. I threw it away.

Awesome :thumbsup2

Another newbie here. I am looking for lots of moral support; by the looks of things, I think I've come to the right place!

Name: Therinian - aka Gina

Hi Gina :yay:

I may be American, but I am Brit at heart

:love:

In FY 2010, SGK brought in $311 MILLION dollars. If even half of that went towards research, I'd have a different stance on them (well, maybe not now that the whole PP thing is going on), but only $62 million of that is what went to research. I look at that as lives wasted. What did the other $248 million go to? Salaries? Lawsuits? Fundraising? It will cost a research group around $850 million (on the low end) over the course of around 10 years to bring one drug through pre-clinical research to FDA approval and the market. The "up to $7.5 million" grants offered by SGK seem like a lot on paper and do provide some opportunity to research things, but barely cover five years of pre-clinical research. I won't even touch on the $30k grants.

Wow. The numbers are really quite staggering.

When I was deciding which 5K to do I did some reading up on the companies - some of the larger 'well-known' companies put very little towards research, but were very vague about what the rest of the money went to.

In the end I did the Race For Life through Cancer Research UK. The entry fee (£15.00) goes towards the organising of the day. 80% of sponsorship raised goes directly towards research. A couple of weeks after the race I got an email detailing how much money had been raised overall with a breakdown of what the money was put towards. It also had a list of 'what your money can do' - eg £10 buys 300 microscope slides, £30 buys 250 petri dishes, £94 covers the cost of one woman entering a clinical trial etc. It was pretty cool to see what the money went towards.

Karen - So glad you're having a good time :cool1:

Ronda - How is Sues mum? :hug:

E, EE, Paula, Kat, Rhi, Kimberley, Jo, Meg, EVERYONE - Hi :flower3:

I am so glad its nearly the weekend :rotfl:

Hope everyone is having a great day pirate:

Oh, dear. I didn't know about SGK's problems with PP; I most certainly not be participating in any of SGK activities, now that I know what's going on. I had just thrown a name out there, because it was the only one I could think of (probably due to all the advertising) as far as non-Disney marathons go. I still would like to try a smaller marathon before next year's 1/2 marathon at Disney; if I rubbed anyone wrong, I apologize.

No need to apologize. Even if you were a dedicated Komen fundraiser that would be okay! I think a 5k is a great idea - DE has a lot of good ones like the brewery one I mentioned. There should be a ton for you to find - and if you want to stick with your local Komen that is fine, too. Your decisions don't have to be my decisions for us to get along. :goodvibes

Hi All!
When I was deciding which 5K to do I did some reading up on the companies - some of the larger 'well-known' companies put very little towards research, but were very vague about what the rest of the money went to.

In the end I did the Race For Life through Cancer Research UK. The entry fee (£15.00) goes towards the organising of the day. 80% of sponsorship raised goes directly towards research. A couple of weeks after the race I got an email detailing how much money had been raised overall with a breakdown of what the money was put towards. It also had a list of 'what your money can do' - eg £10 buys 300 microscope slides, £30 buys 250 petri dishes, £94 covers the cost of one woman entering a clinical trial etc. It was pretty cool to see what the money went towards.

Hi Kelly! I am so impressed that you did your homework - I never once did that! My first 5k, my second, etc etc never once looked at causes, just ran what was convenient. I think most people do. Good on you for going the extra mile! Punny!!!!

SGK became a brand long ago. Their tendency to sue everyone with a ribbon turns me off. Don't we all want the same result?

Hi Gina! :wave2: Hi Kimberly! :wave2: Welcome.

The visit to StL last weekend was tough. Sue's mom was so disoriented and weak. Much more so than two weeks ago. One of the treatment goals is for her to be able to stand for five minutes. They believe she can, but after a couple of minutes wonders why she's standing and chooses to sit down.

I've been getting to run outside this week. It's been great. Hoping to do it again tomorrow.

We're going to have a good healthy dinner dammit! Going out of town has us eating out WAY more than we're used to. It starts to seem normal, and that's not good (quoting Bill Nye here). So it's a little salmom, a little rice and roasted green beans and onions. Yum.

Hope everyone's getting ready for a wonderful weekend.

Ronda

Hi Ladies!

I got so mad when I read about this nonsense with SGK that I went and wrote a scathing email to them, for all the good it will do. Made me feel better though :thumbsup2.

I belong to an online research group started by Dr. Susan Love called Army of Women. Look it up! They seem to have their open-minded, non-politically influenced heads on straight:yay:.

Sorry..rant alert...rant alert...:scared1:

While we're on the subject of non-profits, look up mine (well, sort of mine):love:. I do the public relations stuff for them: www.americasmomsforsoldiers.com. We send care packages to soldiers in Afghanistan who don't get mail from home.:sad: We've been around since 2009 and send between 900-1200 packages every month. I know, I know, shameless plug...:rotfl:

Tomorrow's Friday...weigh in day. Wish me luck!:thumbsup2

Holy cow you all have been busy.

Hi All

Rhi, I never knew that aout SGK numbers. Thanks for letting me know.

I did 4 miles yesterday and my knee, IT band still hurt pretty bad. I did go to the doc who has now sent me to an orth knee / it band guy. She said there is a shot they can give to ease the muscle. I hope it works.
23 days til the princess.

Therinian- Despite my dislike for SGK as a foundation, if you chose to participate in an event I'd fully support you. The events are about the journey the runner (or walker) takes to get to that point. :)

PlutoBaby- I love your nonprofit-- and you may officially be in trouble for bringing it to my attention :). Whenever I run races to raise money, it's either for the Wounded Warrior Project or Team Hope for the Warriors. Actually come to think of it, them and Fisher House are the only places my donations really go these days. My younger brother is a Purple Heart recipient and gave us quite the scare in 06, but continues to serve and re-enlist. He's seriously my idol. Having a brother in the military and getting to meet some of the families of his men over the years has been such an eye-opening and humbling experience. So much more can be done for them. So much more. Even if you don't support the war. I feel a rant coming on so I'll stop there. :)

On other unrelated fronts- I pushed up my weigh-in by a day since I just couldn't wait to see the progress, and I'm down 7 for the month! HOORAY!

Good morning Goddesses!

Ronda - love how you just broke down the Komen issue to one line! I am sorry to hear that Sue's mom is having a set back, however small. I hope she improves quickly.

Kimberly - what a cool charity! How did you get involved?

Rhi - YAY on the 7lbs!!! You exceeded your goal! Woo!

It is so interesting what we make our causes. Obviously, mine is BC. Rhi, you have vets. Kimberly, I'm guessing current service people. E, it's kidney disease. Jo? I pick policemen or kids charities for you. Guessing here! I know Nancy has a big heart for military and military families. Ir's just so interesting what we align ourselves with and why.

One of my friends sent me this a little while ago as 'motivation'

haha.jpg

Top o' the morning everybody!:goodvibes

Great news first thing in the a.m - I'm down another 2 pounds! Yipppeee!!!!!!:yay::yay::woohoo:

Forgive me if I don't have everyone's names straight, I'm awful with that kind of thing! I got involved in America's Moms through an article about them I read in a local paper two years ago. I was looking to get involved in something near and dear to my heart. So many in my family have been involved in the military and one of my cousins is currently serving in Afghanistan for the 4th or 5th time. It hit close to home and the rest is history! Anything to do with the military, AMFS, Wounded Warriors, etc., I'm all over. It makes me SO MAD when I see these guys dressed up in camo at traffic lights allegedly collecting funds for the military!!! First, the military doesn't beg at traffic lights, and second, that particular charity only donates 9-14% (?) to the military!:eek:

Sorry, another rant alert!:scared1:

I also support anything law enforcement (hubby), or animals, especially Labs (could you guess by my pic?) I also try to help out as much as I can with Labrador Retriever Rescue of Florida (www.labradorrescue.net). I know - another shameless plug!!:rotfl:

I just want to say that after only a week, I have found so much inspiration and support from all of you. I feel like I've found a whole new family. :cheer2: So ladies, kudos to all of you!!:cheer2::woohoo::grouphug:

I hope to meet all of you and the Wine and Dine in November!:wave2:

Rhi - LOVE IT!!!! :rotfl2:

Hmm, skinny people where are you?!?! :lmao:

Kimberly - what nice words! We are glad you are here! I am Liz btw! I know it takes a while - I barely get one or two new people's names right!!! :rotfl:

Hi everyone!

I am back from my vacation and it was simply amazing!!! I ate a bit too much, walked a great deal and most importantly relaxed. For the newbies (hi to you all :flower3:) I was on a Disney cruise! I even spent a day at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. A full trip report with pictures is coming but I am offto the gym first. Time to go burn off some of the many, many calories I ate this past week.

I will catch up on all you have been up to this afternoon.

Plutobaby - I am terrible with names, too. Terrible.

I actually work for a non-profit as well... one that deals with dogs. :)

I've been eating like it's my job this week, so I am downright afraid to weigh. Sigh. I was doing really well and DH's trip to Disney + a work appetizer party knocked me off, and I am struggling hard to get back on.

Oh noes, Kat! You can do get back on the wagon!

And if not, you can also just smash the scale so you never have to weigh in again :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter