Teachers: What names are you sick of?

Our 10 yr old is an Emma- a name I never really heard much before (well only older ladies) so she was named after my great great grandma-- Then they had the baby on Friends (tv show) and now there are Emma's EVERYWHERE!!
We also have an Allison but she goes by Alli and a Kate- not Katherine or kaitlyn just Kate (the great of course!)

It seems there are Aidan, Liam, William, Braden, Jaden, Jack, Delaney, Lexi, Grace....

I can't really say that I am sick of any names but every Zachary I've had has been a handful to say the least. In my area we have a large immigrant and refugee population so I have had some interesting names.

<<<When my son was in our very small preschool, there were 4 Matthew's.
Matthew M.
Matthew R.
Matt
Little Matthew (he was the only 2 1/2 yo in the program>...
Matthew has been a top name for the past 20 yrs or so. My godson is Matthew and he is 21 :0
Why don't people name their kids lisa, susan, karen anymore? I am a Susan. Probably because these names are from the 1960's and earlier, But they are classic names.
We named our daughter Carol. It was nice not having other children with her name. My name is Susan and I grew up with a lot of Susan's. Our son's name is James and while that name is not uncommon, we didn't hear it very often when he was in school.

My niece had a friend named Qilee--pronounced Kylee or however it should be spelled. Our Kindergarten class last year had a little girl named Cennedy, and the subsitututes were always pronouncing it Sennedy. My niece is named Allyson, and while I like the name very much, she is bugged by the fact she can never find anything spelled that way.
That goes for old names too. It's hard to find Carol on stuff also.

For a good read about naming trends, the book "Freakonomics" has a chapter all about this. It follows the theory that the affulent/high class people latch onto a name and start using it. After awhile, the "common folk" hear it enough and start using the name too, to make their child be perceived as higher-class, unique, and special. But once the name is sufficently used by the "commoners", the affulent prompty abandoned the name, never to be used again by them! And then the affulent start picking up on new names to use, and when the "commoners" start using it too, that name gets abandoned, and the cycle continues ad nauseum.

Of course, obviously this is not true for every name or every circumstance!! And I am NOT saying this is right either :scared: (not starting a class war here! And I am no way affulent anyway! :blush: ), but just throwing the very general theory out there from a book I read. Interesting stuff.
I have that book to read. I've heard that it's very interesting.

I hate the weird spelling of names and also the trendy, poofy sort of names. But this surprised me. My sister is a teacher and when I was pregnant, she told me to not name a boy Matthew or Christopher because she had never had one of those names that wasn't a hellion.

There was one old fashioned, classic boy name that both my DH and I liked, but then she said we couldn't saddle a kid with that because people would make fun of him.

I listen to my sister too much.:guilty:
So, what was the name?

My brother has a friend named Ryan Coke :lmao: and I went to school with a kid named Chris Bacon with the middle initial P.

On various chatboards I have seen the name Emily Grace quite a few times and my girl is a Grace Emily :lovestruc

I've been student teaching and working with jobs involving kids for three/four years so all in all...

"Aidan" names are the most common. I remember when it first got popular and I told my mom I really liked the name and she said that there were going to be classrooms in which there were going to be multiple boys with the same. Sure enough. Aidan, Aiden, Ayden, and any name that ends with -aden... I've counted too many. Now I don't have a particular problem with the name, I do like it, it's just so so SO common.

As for the girls, and this only comes from the girls who I went to high school with who got pregnant either in HS or early college- The names Audrey and Aubree are super popular as in I know more than two. Also other A names like Annalise, Andrew, and Alana. Actually, now I'm trying to think of a girl I know who got pregnant who did not give her baby an A name, and I can only think of one.

And the weirdest thing ever is that I know A LOT of girls who got pregnant in high school/right out of high school and FIVE of their names are all Ashley. That. Is. Weird.

Our 10 yr old is an Emma- a name I never really heard much before (well only older ladies) so she was named after my great great grandma-- Then they had the baby on Friends (tv show) and now there are Emma's EVERYWHERE!!

As an Emma myself, I am in a similar situation to your daughter! I am 18 and in my graduating class of approximately 600 students, I was the only Emma. I was also named after some of my older relatives. I remember when I was younger, I always thought my name was unique and special; if I ever heard of someone with the same name, I was astonished and excited. Now, it's so common that it kind of lost its touch for me. :guilty:

hey, my BIL named his kids bunny rabbit's "shake and bake", I'm not sick of those names, but man it makes me hungry! just sayin. lol

I ahve been teaching for 15 years and have never had a Colton or Dalton. Maybe it is not a popular name in MI. I have never even meet anyone with those names.

In our old town Colton and Dalton were very popular. There were several of them running around. Jayden is "the" name lately. When I look on the hospital website at the baby pictures, there is at least one Jayden, Jaiden, boy or girl each week. I can see in 5 years having a kindergarten class of 20 and 15 of the kids are going to be some form of Jayden :lmao:.

As an Emma myself, I am in a similar situation to your daughter! I am 18 and in my graduating class of approximately 600 students, I was the only Emma. I was also named after some of my older relatives. I remember when I was younger, I always thought my name was unique and special; if I ever heard of someone with the same name, I was astonished and excited. Now, it's so common that it kind of lost its touch for me. :guilty:

Emma is a very popular name around here for kids at the high school level.

Our kids have more traditional names and we have run into very few kids with the same names. :lmao:

Or how about the names that are pronounced one way by everyone, but the person whose name it is wants it pronounced differently?

Someone I know whose name is Marcia wants everyone to pronounce it
Mar-see-ya

My mother in law was a Marcia/ "Mar C ah". My understanding (she's passed away now, can't verify) is that it is the Scandanavian pronunciation. (Her mother was from Denmark and father from Norway.)

She did pick up Marcie as a nickname early on, but I think folks need to keep in mind ethnicities may play a part in unusual spellings/pronunciations. My son's name (a common one) is spelled and pronounced "funny" because we chose to give him the German derivation.

My mother in law was a Marcia/ "Mar C ah". My understanding (she's passed away now, can't verify) is that it is the Scandanavian pronunciation. (Her mother was from Denmark and father from Norway.)

She did pick up Marcie as a nickname early on, but I think folks need to keep in mind ethnicities may play a part in unusual spellings/pronunciations. My son's name (a common one) is spelled and pronounced "funny" because we chose to give him the German derivation.

A friend of mine from college is Marcia (Mar-C-a) and her name came from a Spanish derivative of Mary. Her parents were from Guatemala originally. She, of course, got called Marsha all the time.

Samuel is also very popular around here!
Gavin and various spellings of Aiden too.

GIrls are Emma, Olivia, Ella, Hannah.

My son's soccer team a couple of years ago had: Kaelen, Kayla, Cullen, Collen, Keelan, Colleen and Colin. My husband, the coach, started calling them all 'Nancy.' They thought he was hilarious! He'd say..."all the Nancys run laps" or "all the Nancys wear white" for the scrimmage.

Just a quick perusal of names from the hospital website:

Tracer
Jemma
Adalyn
Tayson (boy)
Kylan (boy)
Brynley (boy)
Keston
Tenley
Eastyn (girl)
Jayda
Bennyt
Bentley (girl)
Kingston Leroy
Jada
Kameah (no idea how to pronounce this-girl)
Kanon
Mesa
Kaylor (boy)
Hattie (not unusual but there are 2 of them born within a few weeks of each other)
Cash

All of the parents of these kids are of US heritage.

I'm not a teacher, but I do take Santa pictures at the mall :rotfl2:
Aiden, Caiden, Jayden, Hayden, and even a Dayden. At least every second boy is an Aiden-rhyme.

How would you pronounce it? Neeva?

Neh-VAY-ah.

We used to have twins at our school, Wayne Eric and Eric Wayne. They were polar opposites. Wayne Eric was constantly in trouble, class clown, and general trouble maker. Eric Wayne was a straight A student, kind and well-behaved. They looked just alike, unfortunately. I came to disliike both names in the time I knew them.

Don't care for it either. I'm more of an old fashioned name kind of person myself.

I think it's funny that all these Christian parents name their daughters Nevaeh and think it's so 'cute' or 'pious', when flipping religious words backwards is actually a Satanist thing. I'm not either of those, so I find it extremely amusing. xD

The name that annoys me the most is my name-Samantha. However, a few years back, a girl moved into the district who spelled it 'Sammantha'. Now, everyone in the town thinks that this is the correct spelling of it, when I see it as what looks like a typo!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter