Teachers: What names are you sick of?

I think Matthew is a name that will always be popular - a classic. We had a bunch in my classes growing up, and my dh is named Matthew, and my dd in preschool has some Matthews in her class as well.

I'm not a teacher, but I have 3 school-aged children (and 2 toddlers).

This would be my list.
1) Connor (last yr my DD had 3 in her class)
2) Ryan and Matthew (my son's baseball team had 3 Matthew's and 2 Ryan's)
3) Kaitlyn, Caitlyn, Caitlin, Kaitlin, etc...along with Kaylee/Kayleigh and Kailyn just for more confusion

Jess

When I taught kindergarten, I couldn't tell by looking at the roll whether several of the students were boys or girls. The girls who had names that were traditionally boys' names did not like their names at all. They wished they had girls' names.

There is a boy in the same grade as me who's name is Cheyanne( i don't know how hespells it). One time we had a sub that called his name and didn't believe he was who he said so she pointed out all the girls and wanted us to tell her who was cheyanne. When we said that he was she wrote a note to the teacher telling her we switched seats and she could not get us to switch back.

My brother's name is Matthew Scott. I agree, it's a timeless name. Anything Biblical usually is.

Glad to see that the names I've chosen for my future children aren't here. I don't really plan on ever having children, but if I did, the names would be Audrey Caroline and Aleksandr David.

I have a son named David Alexander. I told him he is named for 2 great kings.

My dh is coaching a 1st grade basketball team. He has a Thunder and a Sky!

What bothers him is all of the -on, -en, and -an endings.

Carson
Braden
Keilan
Landon
Julian

He's glad our son's name is Sammy. Everyone can remember it and he is called by name every where we go. We never have to spell it either.

Our eldest is 6 and his name is Samuel. We have met a few others but it's not too popular around here. I think there are two others in his school of 500 kids and they are both quite a bit older.

Our daughter is 3 and her name is Ava. I know it is very popular and I to meet many other little girls called Ava. However, when we registered her for Junior Kindergarten the secretary told me that there are no other Avas at the school yet.

Our youngest is called Harry. I have met a couple of Harrisons, but no other Harrys.

I have a 13 yo dd named Kailyn. In 5th grade she had 2 Kaitlyns, a Kayla, and a Katie in her class. She's in middle school now and there is one other kailyn but spelled with a C. I love her name but hate how she is constantly called KaiTlyn. I wish I had spelled it Kaylin or named her Kerry like I wanted to, lol! My other dd is Shannon which is normal but not too overused around here. I think there is only one other in her school(530 students) My son is Johnny...don't even get me strted on how many of them there are. Mostly in my own family:rotfl2:

Another good question to ask would be is there a name you could not name your child because of a former student or someone you knew who you could not stand with that name? :)

It was hard. I did have a couple Marissa's. Never felt very strongly about those students one way or another. We had liked Nicholas for a while, but honestly one of my students ruined it for me. So, in my experience, the name can be ruined!

I listed some before that I get alot. I think I forgot at Brianna/e, Katelyn (spelled however), Zachary, ad Alexandra/ia.

But I really don't care! lol Name your kid whatever you want and I will call them that!

One unique name that I liked was Zane.

Another good question to ask would be is there a name you could not name your child because of a former student or someone you knew who you could not stand with that name? :)

I would not name a child Ethan because I have had several with that name and they were all terrors! As I said before, there are probably lots of nice Ethans out there, but I haven't met any of them yet.....

This year, my terror is a Joseph. He is the first Joseph I have ever had, so hope he isn't starting a new tradition,:rotfl2:

VolvoManiac! How many Aoife's do you know?!? I worked with an Irish girl named Aoife a hundred years ago (she said her roommates were going to throw herout if she said "y'all" one more time!) I've never heard that name since.

My DD#1 is named Collette, the French derivative of my name (our last name is French) and DD#2's middle name is Mireille, pronounced Meer-RAY, after the French singer Mireille Mattheau.

BTW, do you have a Volvo 850? We do and love it!

Queen Colleen

The first letter of my sister’s name is A and her husband's is R. Their children's first names start with A and their middle names start with R.

They all have African names. My BIL and I love the name Ayanna.

My sister refuses to name any of the girls Ayanna because of a girl we went to college with. I never met someone so evil and spiteful in my life.

My sister said every time she hears that name it reminds her of how mean this girl was to one of her roommates.

I have never met anyone other than people in my family with the name Risden/Risdon. A very unique name. It was my grandfather, dad and brother's name. But each of had unique names for the other.
Charles Risden
Risden Lyle and
Risden Graham

I'm not a teacher, but I work in a high school and the other day one of the teacher's comes down to my office and asks how I would pronounce this name:

Le-ah
Of course I said Leah . . .but Nooooooooo . . .the name is correctly pronounced: Get this . . .I know you want to scroll down . . . Can you guess?

LA DASH A

:confused3 I have to say though, it is unique . . .:lmao:

Okay I haven't read the whole thread but just had to comment since my name is the first one listed

I have been a Kayla since 1971
When I went to school most of my teachers couldn't pronounce it correctly

No one had ever heard the name
It was really cool ( to me at least) to have a name that unique.

Growing up if I heard someone say "Kayla" I knew they meant me
now I hear it everywhere....Kinda miss when it was just "mine" LOL

I'm a 40 year old Eden who feels the same way. :)

I'm not a teacher, but I work in a high school and the other day one of the teacher's comes down to my office and asks how I would pronounce this name:

Le-ah
Of course I said Leah . . .but Nooooooooo . . .the name is correctly pronounced: Get this . . .I know you want to scroll down . . . Can you guess?
LA DASH A

:confused3 I have to say though, it is unique . . .:lmao:

Wait, her name is written with the - sign?:rotfl2:

Why didn't her parents just spell it LaDasha?:rotfl2: :lmao:

About five years ago I had a student named Genesis but it was pronounced Hennessy.

Yup, it was spelled like the first book of the bible, but pronounced like the liquor.:rolleyes:

During my counselor days I had 4 girls in my hut named Emily, 3 of those at the same time! We also had a large number of Meredith's... not what I would have expected.

I will *NEVER* name a child Nicole because I have known 4 of them and hated every single one! :rotfl2: The name has too much of a negative association. I have yet to come across a pleasant Nicole or a nice Erin.

My worst terror's ever were Marissa, Sharhzade, Jasmine,Tyler, Andrew & Evan.

Though I like the name Andrew... it is probably what hubby and I will use if we have a Boy. I think my current favorite Girl name is Molly (but as a nickname for something else like Amelia).

Wait, her name is written with the - sign?:rotfl2:

Why didn't her parents just spell it LaDasha?:rotfl2: :lmao:

About five years ago I had a student named Genesis but it was pronounced Hennessy.

Yup, it was spelled like the first book of the bible, but pronounced like the liquor.:rolleyes:

I would love to meet little Genesis' parents! :lmao: "Well, you see that's what I was drinking the night he came to be...."

Nicknames can be killers. My dad was the last of 8 kids, born a little prematurely at home. My grandfather held him in his cupped hands and said "this one's a real dilly!" Needless to say, he was Dilly for life, even tho his given names were Francis Lawrence (he WAS called Frank at work). When my maternal grandmother was preparing my mom's engagement announcement for the newspaper (lah de dah!), my mom had to ask his real name - she'd only ever known him as "Dilly."

My DH's nickname is Buzz - short for "The Old Buzzard."

Queen Colleen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter