Teachers and School Supplies

I can confirm that when I was a teacher in NC until 2011, I did not get a dime for school supplies. Also, with a master's degree, I earned $31,000. This was in Charlotte, one of the larger cities, where the cost of living was very high.

Now I live in SC and teach education majors at our university (as a doctoral student). My students have no idea what they are getting into in regards to the awful pay and the lack of funding for supplies. I know that none of the districts around me currently receive money for supplies.

I would wager a guess that most people have no idea how little teachers make, and just how poor the working conditions are. Sure, you don't go into teaching for the money, but there are many other developed countries that actually pay teachers a living wage and give them the respect they deserve. The US is definitely not one of those.

I knew teachers bought some supplies, but I had no idea how bad it was. After reading this thread, I had an idea and wanted to know what you teachers out there thought.

My oldest son is going to be a senior this year, and I thought about making a basket full of school supplies (folders, markers, colors, scissors, etc) for all of his elementary school teachers that he has had through the years as kind of a thank you for being great teachers that have helped him along the way. Is this a good idea or just too corny? My plan would be to stock up on whatever supplies are on sale so they would not be what is probably on the teacher's supplies list. What do you think? I don't want to just give them stuff they won't use but I figure it they don't need a certain item, another teacher might.

disneyfanforever said:
I knew teachers bought some supplies, but I had no idea how bad it was. After reading this thread, I had an idea and wanted to know what you teachers out there thought.

My oldest son is going to be a senior this year, and I thought about making a basket full of school supplies (folders, markers, colors, scissors, etc) for all of his elementary school teachers that he has had through the years as kind of a thank you for being great teachers that have helped him along the way. Is this a good idea or just too corny? My plan would be to stock up on whatever supplies are on sale so they would not be what is probably on the teacher's supplies list. What do you think? I don't want to just give them stuff they won't use but I figure it they don't need a certain item, another teacher might.

I think that is a lovely idea and I am sure they would love it.

I spend about $750 to $1000 a year in a decent district . They just have no finds for classrooms sl it falls on me

My oldest son is going to be a senior this year, and I thought about making a basket full of school supplies (folders, markers, colors, scissors, etc) for all of his elementary school teachers that he has had through the years as kind of a thank you for being great teachers that have helped him along the way. Is this a good idea or just too corny?
This is an awesome idea. For teacher appreciation week, our PTO raffled off some prizes and the most coveted was a lazy susan type thing with lots of school supplies on it.

Now I live in SC and teach education majors at our university (as a doctoral student). My students have no idea what they are getting into in regards to the awful pay and the lack of funding for supplies. I know that none of the districts around me currently receive money for supplies.

I would wager a guess that most people have no idea how little teachers make, and just how poor the working conditions are. Sure, you don't go into teaching for the money, but there are many other developed countries that actually pay teachers a living wage and give them the respect they deserve. The US is definitely not one of those.

For what it's worth, I LOVE my job. I think I'm compensated decently-- well enough that I can afford a trip to WDW every few years, and there's nothing we want for. I most definitely would not classify my working conditions as "poor." I'm well respected, and treated as a professional by my kids, their parents, and my administration.

But you're the one teaching upcoming teachers. Please teach them about the pay, the lack of funding, and the incredible lack of jobs in most parts of the country, in most certification areas. (That last one probably most of all. In most places, the exceptions are Physics, Chemistry and Math, all on the high school-- not middle school-- level.) These are things they need to know. If you're their teacher, why do they still "have no idea"??

(Also please tell them all the delights of our profession-- all those things that make people like me love our jobs. All ther reasons that so many of us have spent decades in the profession. There's not another career in the world for me.)

In this day and age, there's no excuse for not knowing what you're getting yourself into. Yes, ideally they should be on teacher forums, getting the info from those already teaching. But, with all the money they're paying for an education, why on earth aren't they hearing about it in their education classes?

But in this day and age, there's no excuse for not knowing what you're getting yourself into. Yes, ideally they should be on teacher forums, getting the info from those already teaching. But, with all the money they're paying for an education, why on earth aren't they hearing about it in their education classes?

Probably because the colleges still want their money. I'm also in SC. I know one of the private colleges stopped teaching early childhood several years ago because the jobs just aren't there. I believe the rest of the colleges and universities are still offering the classes. They may be trying to steer students into other areas, or adding additional certifications, but if someone wants to give them money for a degree they may not be able to use they'll gladly take it. The job market for most of SC is bad. In our area, covering 3 counties and 6 districts, only 2 have been hiring. Those districts are close to Charlotte and are getting a lot of northern transplants that don't want to live in the city, which is causing a lot of over crowding and new construction. The rest are primarily Title 1 districts. The one we live in has laid off teachers the past 2 years, as has the NC district just over the state line. We're also getting a lot of teachers from NC who are tired of no pay raises, no supplies, and more students per classroom. They get an immediate pay raise just by crossing the state line most of the time.

My husband is on our local school board plus I worked in the school for over 15 years and here, the teachers do not pay for supplies for themselves or classrooms, they have unlimited photocopying and are also provided with ipads plus their salary starts at more than $40,000 (we just had one teacher retire and his annual salary was just over $80.000) on top of that they get unbelievable benefits and every classroom has at LEAST one full time instructional assistant (one year we had 4 I.A's at one time daily)...this is in public schools.....after reading this thread I should pass on the link when they are talking about not getting paid enough or not enough "perks"

Probably because the colleges still want their money.

Absolutely... colleges would go out of business if they discouraged people from following their "dream majors."

I'm certainly not suggesting they talk people out of, say, an elementary education major or stop accepting candidates. As you said, that would just cost the college money, as those applicants would simply go to a college that encouraged them to follow their dream.

But the poster to whom I was replying teaches education classes in a college. How wonderful would it be if the prospective teachers in her classes graduated with a realistic view of the field they were about to enter. Not to discourage them, but to adequately prepare them.

So many kids graduate, thinking they'll apply only to their "dream job." (Note: there's a reason they call it "work." I LOVE my job, but it's still work.) They envision a world where they'll download a generic cover letter, apply to one district, and snag that ideal job teaching Kindergarten to a polite, anxious to learn, well fed and well dressed and well prepared group of 18 kids, while being carefully prepped by a mentor who wants nothing in the world but their success.

The reality is frequently very different. Elementary Ed majors on Long Island NEED to apply to every one of the 125 districts, all the private, charter and religious schools, and frequently NYC as well if they're to hope to land anything. They have to expect to sub for a few years if they're to have a shot at a full time job. They have to have something special in that letter that differentiates their application from the thousands (no hyperbole there) in the pile. That class of 18 may very well be closer to 30. (My district has a rule that no class can be smaller than 16. So my daughter just graduated from elementary school with a class that hovered around 30 for 6 years.) That mentor is likely to be so wrapped up in his or her own job-- particularly in these days where Common Core results are tied into teacher evaluations-- that the new teacher is expected to be a full professional from day one. (Though I do need to add in a disclaimer: I teach high school math. I had no problem at all finding a job the two times I looked-- as a new graduate and returning to the workforce 20 years later after a few years as a SAHM. But Math isn't the typical job market. What I described has not been my own experience, but the experience of a typical elementary education major.)

Had these realities been pointed out to new candidates before they applied, the vast majority-- those who really do want to teach-- would adapt. They wouldn't spend years spinning their wheels, trying to break into the system without the knowledge of how to do it.

None of that would have discouraged me as a college student. I knew I wanted to teach from the age of 8. If it would discourage a college kid, then all the better-- he or she can change their major and find a job where the realities are more to their liking. Prospective teachers spend a LOT of time doing observations. It's a pity that more of them aren't clued in to the realities of the job.

One item desperately needed in the classroom that is not provided by my school district is boxes and boxes of tissues.

A request for the teachers on this thread:

I've started a new thread on tips for new teachers. I'm hoping it stays as I've started it: a place where we can post "tips of the trade"-- odds and ends you've picked up to help make you a more effective teacher, or to make things easier for you or your kids.

Would you consider posting some tips?

Here's the link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3303148

Thanks!!!

I can confirm that when I was a teacher in NC until 2011, I did not get a dime for school supplies. Also, with a master's degree, I earned $31,000. This was in Charlotte, one of the larger cities, where the cost of living was very high.

31,000? Here they start at closer to 50,000 and many of them are making well over 100,000. Even making that I still don't think they should have to buy their own supplies!

One item desperately needed in the classroom that is not provided by my school district is boxes and boxes of tissues.

Usually by the 2nd month of school teachers are handing out extra credit for tissues- we stock up and send them in then.

My husband is on our local school board plus I worked in the school for over 15 years and here, the teachers do not pay for supplies for themselves or classrooms, they have unlimited photocopying and are also provided with ipads plus their salary starts at more than $40,000 (we just had one teacher retire and his annual salary was just over $80.000) on top of that they get unbelievable benefits and every classroom has at LEAST one full time instructional assistant (one year we had 4 I.A's at one time daily)...this is in public schools.....after reading this thread I should pass on the link when they are talking about not getting paid enough or not enough "perks"

I'm curious how this works. Does the school board give them a budget to order supplies like bulletin board materials, Kleenex, pencils...or is there a stocked supply closet in each school?

Can you give us an idea what the unbelievable benefits are?

When we talk salaries and retirement, isn't important to consider the type of degree the teacher has as well as their length of service.

A classroom with 4 IA's is probably required based on the IEPs of some of the students in that classroom.

I'm curious how this works. Does the school board give them a budget to order supplies like bulletin board materials, Kleenex, pencils...or is there a stocked supply closet in each school?

Can you give us an idea what the unbelievable benefits are?

When we talk salaries and retirement, isn't important to consider the type of degree the teacher has as well as their length of service.

A classroom with 4 IA's is probably required based on the IEPs of some of the students in that classroom.

I feel bad for teachers who have to take out of their salary and have to buy their own supplies and their salaries are not that high. Nowadays, they give so much and receive so little in return so anyone doing nice things like school supply gift baskets, etc. kudos as I personally think that is an incredible idea and would be greatly appreciated.

The board gives each school a budget and the school then buys all the supplies even though there are other items that need more attention this one is never reduced or cut.

I was one of the 4 I.A.'s in the classroom, we had approx. 6 level 1's which entailed some with reading, math or social delays....we found ourselves standing around a fair bit as we weren't all needed at the same time. At one point in a school of approx. 500 students we had 38 full time instructional assistants and our highest level was two students who received funding for level 2 the rest were level 1.

Most have their "regular" education degree, the very odd one has a masters, as I said starting is $40,000 fresh out of University, that isn't a salary that most outside of the education system would complain about and yes as the years of service add on their salary increases but that is standard just about anywhere--admin is over $100,000.

Their benefit packages cover absolutely everything--dental (braces, dentures, everything), optical, massages, if they are stressed they can take multiple leaves and their job be held and they get paid...some have been on leave for years and still get salary--they have an extremely strong union behind them and are well taken care of.

This isn't "knocking" educators, it is pointing out that some really struggle and have to pay for things out of their own pocket when really they shouldn't have to, while others are doing quite well but don't seem to realize it isn't as bad as they think.

I feel bad for teachers who have to take out of their salary and have to buy their own supplies and their salaries are not that high. Nowadays, they give so much and receive so little in return so anyone doing nice things like school supply gift baskets, etc. kudos as I personally think that is an incredible idea and would be greatly appreciated.

The board gives each school a budget and the school then buys all the supplies even though there are other items that need more attention this one is never reduced or cut.

I was one of the 4 I.A.'s in the classroom, we had approx. 6 level 1's which entailed some with reading, math or social delays....we found ourselves standing around a fair bit as we weren't all needed at the same time. At one point in a school of approx. 500 students we had 38 full time instructional assistants and our highest level was two students who received funding for level 2 the rest were level 1.

Most have their "regular" education degree, the very odd one has a masters, as I said starting is $40,000 fresh out of University, that isn't a salary that most outside of the education system would complain about and yes as the years of service add on their salary increases but that is standard just about anywhere--admin is over $100,000.

Their benefit packages cover absolutely everything--dental (braces, dentures, everything), optical, massages, if they are stressed they can take multiple leaves and their job be held and they get paid...some have been on leave for years and still get salary--they have an extremely strong union behind them and are well taken care of.

This isn't "knocking" educators, it is pointing out that some really struggle and have to pay for things out of their own pocket when really they shouldn't have to, while others are doing quite well but don't seem to realize it isn't as bad as they think.

Massages? Where do I need to move to teach in this district?

In my state that benefit package is unheard of. Each district does negotiate their own benefit packages with the unions so, while I am only speaking for my district, chances are it is very similar in other districts. We get medical, but we pay half of the cost. My DH and I actually pay more because we went with the higher plan as opposed to the basic. We only get optical every other year, and the dental plan covers 2 cleanings and one x-ray a year with up to $500 for fillings, crowns, etc. It doesn't cover anything for braces.

Once, again, I am not complaining because I consider myself lucky because I do have a job that I love!

If it would discourage a college kid, then all the better-- he or she can change their major and find a job where the realities are more to their liking. Prospective teachers spend a LOT of time doing observations. It's a pity that more of them aren't clued in to the realities of the job.

Me too! My family is under my husband's insurance because it's loads better than my insurance through the district (which teachers pay quite a bit for). The only massage I know that would be remotely covered is through a chiropractor's office and that's only with the top of the line insurance which is unaffordable on a $32,000 a year salary. To start at $50,000 as a brand new teacher would be amazing. It took me a master's degree, 32 additional credits and 15 years of teaching to reach that salary.

Again...regional!

Once, again, I am not complaining because I consider myself lucky because I do have a job that I love!
I feel like I have to put that disclaimer on every post where I have to defend my profession. Not complaining! Love my job! Love my students! Lucky to have a job! Just pointing out that not all of us are rolling around in our $80,000.

In my state that benefit package is unheard of. Each district does negotiate their own benefit packages with the unions so, while I am only speaking for my district, chances are it is very similar in other districts. We get medical, but we pay half of the cost. My DH and I actually pay more because we went with the higher plan as opposed to the basic. We only get optical every other year, and the dental plan covers 2 cleanings and one x-ray a year with up to $500 for fillings, crowns, etc. It doesn't cover anything for braces.

Bundle up and head north! :moped:

Where the heck are you? In my state (NY), teachers MUST get their Master's Degrees within 5 years of earning their Bachelor's Degrees. So, in my school, every single teacher has their Master's Degree (several have more than one), or are working toward it.

I have more education than any of my friends (I'm also 5-10 years older than most of my friends), and I make way less money than ALL of them. They work in hospitals, banks, advertising, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter