Teacher tells student he shouldn't have dressed as Santa

White face, and stereotype a whole race of people isn't racism, unless there are perceived racial undertones? perceived to whom? Still makes it racism.

There wasn't a pre historical reference to black face in the beginning of black face either. Still makes it racism.

I think that maybe it's time you take a step back and reread everything you have written on this thread. There is a lot of contradictions in your posts and because of it they are not making sense.
Sorry just trying to help you.

what am I making up?

White-face? what should I call it?

never said black face wasn't offensive, and it is racism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteface_(performance) not making it up

You said a few pages back if i recall that black face is not offensive, in fact you said it about Julianne Hough who dressed as black face for Halloween. You said that she was just dressing in black face and to me i took that as you thought it had no meaning. Black face is offensive and it is considered racism.

She applied black face!!!! You don't need that to dress like a black character/personality. How do you not see that as being racist.

If you can't answer this question you don't understand what racism is.

I know exactly what racism is. Have witnessed many instances of it.

You're kidding, right?? Please, please tell me you are.

No, I am not.

Here is the thing, not everyone is offended by the same thing and they shouldn't have to be just because someone else says it should be so.

The group I eat lunch with every day is 1/2 black and 1/2 white. We talk about all kinds of stuff and racism does come up now and again as well as things that the whole country is up in arms about being "offensive". Many of these things that make the news as "offensive" isn't a blip on their radar.

They don't want to be called African American. They don't really care if someone wants to fly a Confederate flag. They don't feel like the South has to shrivel up and die because of the past or that any mention of slavery is offensive. Now, this is just them and the flag and not being called AA might be offensive to someone else but its not to them.

They ARE offended by cops treating their kids differently, being followed around a store because someone thinks they are going to steal something or being ignored in a store because its assumed they can't afford to buy anything. These are the things that they feel are true racism (and seeing it happen makes me agree with them) not stuff that happened a long time ago. Its the here and now treatment that is important.

This is them personally, maybe someone else doesn't care about that stuff.

We also have discussed things that offend us as Christians. Some thing that offends me, doesn't offend someone else. So, is it fair to say that whatever i is offends ALL Christians because it offends me even though it doesn't offend another Christian? No, of course not.

I honestly don't remember if I've seen a black Santa, but surely must have. Mom's favorite mall was in an overwhelmingly black neighborhood. I can't imagine there was never a black Santa there.

Not that it's even relevant. As to the kid in the story, who cares. I've probably seen 1,000 white Michael Jordans on Halloween, and we don't even have an NBA team here :lmao:

I know exactly what racism is. Have witnessed many instances of it.

No, I am not.

Here is the thing, not everyone is offended by the same thing and they shouldn't have to be just because someone else says it should be so.

The group I eat lunch with every day is 1/2 black and 1/2 white. We talk about all kinds of stuff and racism does come up now and again as well as things that the whole country is up in arms about being "offensive". Many of these things that make the news as "offensive" isn't a blip on their radar.

They don't want to be called African American. They don't really care if someone wants to fly a Confederate flag. They don't feel like the South has to shrivel up and die because of the past or that any mention of slavery is offensive. Now, this is just them and the flag and not being called AA might be offensive to someone else but its not to them.

They ARE offended by cops treating their kids differently, being followed around a store because someone thinks they are going to steal something or being ignored in a store because its assumed they can't afford to buy anything. These are the things that they feel are true racism (and seeing it happen makes me agree with them) not stuff that happened a long time ago. Its the here and now treatment that is important.

This is them personally, maybe someone else doesn't care about that stuff.

We also have discussed things that offend us as Christians. Some thing that offends me, doesn't offend someone else. So, is it fair to say that whatever i is offends ALL Christians because it offends me even though it doesn't offend another Christian? No, of course not.

Well, almost all of my friends, both white and black, would be offended by that - it has such a negative connotation now. I'm Southern, had relatives who fought in every war since the Revolutionary War, including the Civil War, and I would be offended to see it hung outside. But, that's a whole different thread that has also been rehashed over and over.

But, back to this situation, I was raised that Santa was magical and special to each child - he had no nationality or race, he was simply SANTA!

Whiteface is a term, but it's not the opposite of blackface. Blackface was part of a larger system of racism in this country's history. Whiteface - the instances of it that exist - is/was not. They're not comparable.

By primary definition they are the same just different color paint. What someone does in the paint could be racism, not the paint. Google it.

I can't change history, only my actions and thoughts.

Racism can be done towards anyone, IMO I don't care what color you are.

I treat people the way I want to be treated. I treat people the way they treat me.

Sorry if there are any mis understanding in my writing. If I annoy you just skip my post:)

I think that maybe it's time you take a step back and reread everything you have written on this thread. There is a lot of contradictions in your posts and because of it they are not making sense.
Sorry just trying to help you.

I have and the sad part is I'm really trying hard :(

Ok, first, I think the teacher was a jerk to say that to a little kid. Very stupid.

And, I have never once thought about whether Santa is supposed to be black or white or pink or blue or whatever-he's just Santa, for goodness sakes.:P. Besides, he's pretend, so Santa can be whatever color you want him to be. (In my opinion.:))

Well, almost all of my friends, both white and black, would be offended by that - it has such a negative connotation now. I'm Southern, had relatives who fought in every war since the Revolutionary War, including the Civil War, and I would be offended to see it hung outside. But, that's a whole different thread that has also been rehashed over and over.

But, back to this situation, I was raised that Santa was magical and special to each child - he had no nationality or race, he was simply SANTA!

Does that make my friends wrong? The object doesn't matter, (and I don't want to get in a discussion about that particular object) my point is that it is not offensive to everyone white or black. Same thing for anything else.

Ok, first, I think the teacher was a jerk to say that to a little kid. Very stupid.

And, I have never once thought about whether Santa is supposed to be black or white or pink or blue or whatever-he's just Santa, for goodness sakes.:P. Besides, he's pretend, so Santa can be whatever color you want him to be. (In my opinion.:))

Best post on the whole thread...nicely said, Marcia:thumbsup2

This is ridiculous. A big fat jolly guy who enters houses via a chimney is going to be completely black by the end of the night after going down so many of them!!!!!!

By primary definition they are the same just different color paint. What someone does in the paint could be racism, not the paint. Google it.

I treat people the way I want to be treated. I treat people the way they treat me.

Sorry if there are any mis understanding in my writing. If I annoy you just skip my post:)
You seriously need a history lesson if you think that whiteface and blackface are the same thing. In your words: google it.

I never even heard of White Face. I don't think it even exists. I also googled what you just said to google and nothing came up. Sorry. :confused3

Edit: I googled white face and nothing came up about it being racist at all. I agree you cannot compare the two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter