Teacher taking Vacation to Disney during school year?

mb_uh

DIS Veteran
I am not overly surprised anymore when I see the posts about kids being taken out of school for vacations. But I was shocked when I realized that teachers were doing it as well.

I am an Education Administrator but I started out as a teacher. It was expected that most "vacations" happen during your school breaks (in Texas we work on average 187 days) which leaves about 73 non weekend days off a year split differntly by each district. Most places will have time off during the winter, spring and summer. Each teacher gets 5 State days for "personal buisness" and most districts kick in a few "sick" days. The assumption I have always worked under or been told is our days were for illness, emergencies, funeral, closing on a house or other financial buisness, an ocassional mental health day but not vacationing.

So would it bother you if your child's teacher took a vacation during the year and left your child the rest of the class with a sub (in our state they can have little or no training in education and often times only a few college hours :scared1:)?

I personally would be appalled and probably complain to the Supt. about it. (unless it was for a family wedding, which I would forgive since I do not expect everyone to be considerate of the school year and I do not think teachers should have to miss out on major family events).

So my question is for parents: how would you feel if your child's teacher took off 3-5 or more days to go on vacation (doesn't matter if it is Disney) during the school year?

I
So would it bother you if your child's teacher took a vacation during the year and left your child the rest of the class with a sub (in our state they can have little or no training in education and often times only a few college hours :scared1:)?

Not any more than it would bother me if she/he was out sick for several days in a row.

Not all teacher's have spouses who can take time off in the summer. Imagine the teacher who has a couple of kids and is married to a landscaper/constructionsworker or a golf pro....the landscaper/construction worker/golf pro might not get to take time off during the summer, and her children might attend a different school district with a different calendar than the one where she teaches...so she might not have much choice.

Not everyone can get time off during the summer, if the teacher is married to someone like that, should she just never take a family vacation?

nope would not bother me. Everyone should be able to vacation when& where it works for them.

...and we go to Disney the week of Fall Break. Which means he takes Mon-Weds off from school, and then the students also have Thurs-Fri off. I am not a teacher, and have to deal with seniority and conflicting office vacations. October works for us. And my husband always makes sure he picks the sub ahead of time (retired teacher who taught at the same school) and leaves detailed lesson plans. He has never had a parent complain.

Not at all. As long as the school has a good sub system in place and the teacher has planned for the vacation, I agree with what everyone else has posted above. (and I am not a teacher nor is my spouse).

Wouldn't bother me either. I'm happy when employees use their sick/vacation days. Life isn't all about work. Everyone needs some down time whether it's for sickness or a vacation, I hope for their sake it's for vacation :)

Happy teachers make for happy kids :) :)

The district that I worked for wouldn't let you do that. However, since everyone seems to be gung-ho about kids taking a WDW vacation during the school year, I don't see why teachers shouldn't get the same courtesy. If it's really no big deal for your kids to make up a week's worth of work, it really shouldn't effect them if they learn nothing all week and have to make it up when the teacher returns.

Doesn't bother me. At my son's school, most of the subs are former retired teachers from that school, or interns that worked there.

Not any more than it would bother me if she/he was out sick for several days in a row.

Not all teacher's have spouses who can take time off in the summer. Imagine the teacher who has a couple of kids and is married to a landscaper/constructionsworker or a golf pro....the landscaper/construction worker/golf pro might not get to take time off during the summer, and her children might attend a different school district with a different calendar than the one where she teaches...so she might not have much choice.

Not everyone can get time off during the summer, if the teacher is married to someone like that, should she just never take a family vacation?

ITA.

My dh is a pilot and he holds vacation by senority. He has yet to hold weeks the kids are off of school. If I was a teacher I'd want to be able to vacation with my family.

Nope wouldn't bother me.

My DH is a police office and 3 years ago was the first time he ever had Christmas off. Last year he just had his first July 4th and Labor Day though that was more because he took vacation on Labor Day. He has more than 15 years on the force.

Before we had kids we were regulated to weeks no one wanted for vacation.

I am a WAHM so I can vacation when I want. I believe you have to do what is right for your family.

This. Everyone has schedules to coordinate and work around. Teachers are no different.

I wouldn't be happy with it. I feel being a teacher is a commitment(not always a rewarded one, but non the less a commitment), and I would seriously question this teachers commitment to their students if they didn't feel the need to actually be there.

Luckily I don't live in an area that would allow this.

I currently work in the school system. I am a school nurse, but I have the same schedule as the teachers. They get so many "personal" days they can use as needed, but I don't think any of them would take an entire week for a vacation. I think they only get 3 "personal" days anyway. I don't have a problem with teachers taking vacations during the school year at all from a parent standpoint. So many times teachers are out for different reasons. Surgeries, childbirth, deaths in the family...If they are allowed the time off, I'd say, "Go for it!" I can't imagine myself asking for time off for a vacation, but I don't have issues taking them in the summer or other breaks. My DH can get off when he wants, pretty much. If he couldn't, it would be different! A few days or a week are not gonna make or break a school year.

Wouldn't bother me at all. In fact, I am a teacher and took the entire last week of school off one year to go to Hawaii. Trip was booked and paid for before I got the job.

It wouldn't bother me. Like others have said, there's more to life than work & happy teachers make for happy students.

The teacher will have to leave detailed lesson plans if they are going to be out that long so I don't see it as a problem. Also, many schools are hiring subs who have Education degrees. I have a few friends who recently went back to college for Education. There is a lack of full-time teaching jobs right now so they are subbing as much as they can in hopes of getting into a school.

I wouldn't be happy with it. I feel being a teacher is a commitment(not always a rewarded one, but non the less a commitment), and I would seriously question this teachers commitment to their students if they didn't feel the need to actually be there.

Luckily I don't live in an area that would allow this.
Would you be willing to pull a kid out for a week to go? I think kids and parents should have the same level of commitment they ask thier teachers to maintain.

I don't think taking a vacation is any reflection on a teacher's level of committment to his/her profession. My husband and I are both teachers. We get six personal days a year to use. This year my husband is using 4 personal days for our family to go to Disney in June (I will already be done with school). We debated about waiting another 2 weeks when school was out but we couldn't get free dining then and the airfare was about $600 more. Why should we spend that much more money when we can go earlier? We wouldn't have PERSONAL days if we weren't supposed to use them. Would we do this every year? Nope, but we're going to enjoy every minute of it this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter