Teacher Participation......

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, the problem with your logic here is that you are presuming showing up after hours is how they demonstrate their support.

Agree 100%!

Like I said:

Parents and teachers volunteer in many different ways. Some aren't as obvious as others. Many people are very private about their contributions and do not like the attention. The last thing we need are people who keep count of every hour somebody else contributes or making mental notes of who is attending what. It doesn't make sense.

You have to think about it like this....If you worked all day long at your job would you really want to drag your children back to to your workplace. Also, remember that teachers have work to after school to prepare for the next day. The time that teachers have with their families is precious too and people need to realize this too. They spend countless hours beyond their regular day doing work. It is probably better for them that they have their downtime in order to have a fresh start. Teaching is a difficult job and they work very hard all day. Instead of getting upset with them just try to imagine what they are going through and how busy their lives are. :flower3:

At this point my question is:

Do many teachers really think they would be better off without a PTO at their school?

Are you really getting this vibe from this particular thread? :confused3

I guess if that's the case and if teachers in our school feel this way, then they shouldn't participate at all. And it makes me rethink our entire organization.

Why? I love helping the children via PTO:goodvibes I don't care what anyone else does. I really don't keep tabs. I would never rethink helping children out because teachers didn't attend an event. I am happy that the teachers spend hours and hours a day with my child.

I don't have time to read all the responses right now, but I just wanted to share my personal experience. I am in the somewhat unusual position of being a parent and a teacher in the same school. I do attend things like dances as a parent if my own children wish to go, but not as a teacher and here is why:

There is such a thing as "past practice" and it has been used by administration against the teachers. In the past, teachers would willingly volunteer to attend things and do things after school: dances, homework clubs etc... It was great and everyone was happy. But, what happened was that when people came along who were unable to give the same time commitment outside of school (for whatever reason) they were told that it was "past practice" and that they were required to do these things whether they were able to or not. Teachers were not comfortable seeing their colleagues punished and had to ban together to avoid being taken advantage of. Unfortunately, in this economy, too many administrations keep trying to take a mile when teacher try to give an inch. So, basically if you volunteer for somethings around here, it comes back to bite you in the butt and you can be sure that admin. will try to take advantage of you the next time. Unfortunately, the ones that lose out are the kids. :sad2:

Another elementary teacher here- jumping in late. My school has a few things after school and yes, we are expected to go. We have a "Western Round Up" (carnival basically) in the fall and "Art Walk" in the spring. My last school had basically the same set up, although it was a Science Fair in the spring. We also do a McTeachers night where the teachers work at McDonalds and the PTO gets the money. Honestly, this stuff while somewhat cute and fun, can be a PITA. They usually don't start until at least 5 or 6 so you are sorta waiting around for it to start. Most people put in an hour or so at the event and then leave, except for McTeacher's night where we sign up for an hour shift. I do think it is a lot to expect the teachers to be at every function but I can deal with it since we only have 3 a year. But, I think a whole lot of parents and society as a whole expect teachers to drop everything in their lives for their profession when this is not expected of most other people.

Oh- but if you want to boost teacher participation, offer them free meal tickets for whatever function you are having or bring in pizza for them beforehand.

Personally I don't see anything 'offensive' about the tone of any of the OP's posts. Quite the opposite actually (unless she was feeling alittle offended herself by some reply). It really is in how YOU choose to read someone's words.

OP....I gotta hand it to you. You are really hanging in here on this one. FWIW....many here understand exactly where you are coming from and completely agree. No you didn't ask for an itinerary, you didn't say you wanted ALL of them to come to EVERY event, you didn't say teacher's were overpaid, you didn't say you didn't care that they had other obligations etc. etc. etc. But it doesn't really matter what you say. Those who've decided they don't like what you are saying and pick apart your words aren't 'listening' anyway. Been there, done that:laughing:

(edited to add: Keep in mind that just because you aren't getting alot of public support on this thread doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's a known DIS fact that those who 'disagree' are generally the ones who are the most vocal and seem to have the greatest need to be heard :) )

I like this poster! ;) I'm glad someone sees that it started out well.

Anyhoo I really am gone now, don't want to be blamed for someone going into cardiac arrest. Boy, I've certainly learned how people can turn into a bunch of raving lunatics on a message board. It's kind of like the telephone game. You say something and somehow it gets all mangled by the end by those, who wish to add what they "thought" they heard.

Thanks again to those genuine posters and those not using this for their dailypopcorn:: entertainment! (Although I certainly WAS entertained!)

And for crying out loud, leave the teacher lady alone. I'm not a teacher and I don't have 5 kids. If shes nice enough to post, than let her. (Or him, can't remember.) But than again the bunch of you DON'T LIKE WHAT SHE'S SAYING so you will shoot her down. If she is in the profession, maybe she knows more than you? There's a concept. Just sayin'.

We'll be off to the World soon. I'm sure I'll run into at least one of you. I'll know because you'll be the one pushing past my kid, to make sure you get the better spot for the parade, or shoving through at the Dole Whip stand to make sure you get yours, in case they run out. Just sayin'.:confused3

See, the problem with your logic here is that you are presuming showing up after hours is how they demonstrate their support.

Actually there was nothing at all wrong with my logic - that's intact thanks. But I should have clarified for others that it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that teachers show their support by attending one or two events every year or two. In our PTO aside from occassionally passing out a flier in class, there really aren't other ways to show their support. I realize this is not the case with other schools.

I never saw my question answered though except by a couple. Do teachers even desire a PTO?

Yes, I like doing things for the kids too, but rethinking the organization to focus entirely on the kids and honestly to change the name would be my thoughts if teachers don't want it. It does get kind of embarrassing when every year we have a new parent of a Kindergartener who inevitably asks 'Where is the 'T' in this PTO?' because it is truly missing. I'm not saying they have to like it or even want it, but if they don't it should change some of the things we do and definitely our name.

I applaud those of you teachers who are able to fit in that kind of support and I am guessing it is truly appreciated by those who went to the effort to plan that event! I know it would be by me!

Oh, and forgot to say good luck BRYMOLMOM!! You go girl!

Hopefully, you'll get a few more supporters out there chiming in!;) I think it's a lost cause at this point, at least with this bunch!

oh JackJack08.....I'm just lovin' you :worship: It's deja vu, this whole thread (well, not the 'exact' same topic) except you're the one sitting in the hot seat. The mob mentality is a tough thing to conquer. You go girl :thumbsup2

Thanks PACROSBY!! ;) Did what I could to entertain all of you for a couple of days!;):woohoo:

I like this poster! ;) I'm glad someone sees that it started out well.

Anyhoo I really am gone now, don't want to be blamed for someone going into cardiac arrest. Boy, I've certainly learned how people can turn into a bunch of raving lunatics on a message board. It's kind of like the telephone game. You say something and somehow it gets all mangled by the end by those, who wish to add what they "thought" they heard.

Thanks again to those genuine posters and those not using this for their dailypopcorn:: entertainment! (Although I certainly WAS entertained!)

And for crying out loud, leave the teacher lady alone. I'm not a teacher and I don't have 5 kids. If shes nice enough to post, than let her. (Or him, can't remember.) But than again the bunch of you DON'T LIKE WHAT SHE'S SAYING so you will shoot her down. If she is in the profession, maybe she knows more than you? There's a concept. Just sayin'.

We'll be off to the World soon. I'm sure I'll run into at least one of you. I'll know because you'll be the one pushing past my kid, to make sure you get the better spot for the parade, or shoving through at the Dole Whip stand to make sure you get yours, in case they run out. Just sayin'.:confused3

This from the poster who accused others of being snarky! :lmao:

Oh, I'm snarky make no mistake! I'll never deny that!:banana:

Kind of hypocritical for you to get annoyed that others respond to you in kind, then, ain't it? And, again, could explain a lot about your relationship with the teachers...

My gosh. This is really quite the thread isn't it.

I posted last night because I had something to say. I am not interested, in getting into it with anyone. You can choose to read it and absorb what I said or not. Either way, I have a great career where I support my PTO and count my life's blessings everyday. I am not the opening poster. I don't even know how to start a new topic. (I had to get my son to show me how to even reply!) I just saw an opportunity, to interject a comment that I thought may be of some interest to someone.

Thank you.

If she is in the profession, maybe she knows more than you? There's a concept. Just sayin'.

Then would you care to explain why have you chosen to ignore all of the other teachers here who disagree with you? They're in the profession, so maybe they know more than you? There's a concept. Just sayin'.

(And FTR, I'm a parent, I volunteer heavily with our PTA, and now I teach - and I think you're wrong to assume that teachers should have come to your event.)

Then would you care to explain why have you chosen to ignore all of the other teachers here who disagree with you? They're in the profession, so maybe they know more than you? There's a concept. Just sayin'.

(And FTR, I'm a parent, I volunteer heavily with our PTA, and now I teach - and I think you're wrong to assume that teachers should have come to your event.)

I have not ignored any teachers posting here. I'm taking it all in. I apperciate every one of those posts, so I can get their view. It's all of you NON teachers and your rude comments that are not letting these teachers be heard. I'm too busy sifting through all the RUDE, riff-raff posts to get to one that is actually helpful.:mad::sad2:

So maybe all of you should just let the TEACHERS post now???? ;) The ones with the knowledge to answer in the first place. THERE IS A THOUGHT!!

I don't think I've read one post from a teacher that hasn't been helpful. And expressed in a very tactful way. Just sayin'.

I have not ignored any teachers posting here. I'm taking it all in. I apperciate every one of those posts, so I can get their view. It's all of you NON teachers and your rude comments that are not letting these teachers be heard. I'm too busy sifting through all the RUDE, riff-raff posts to get to one that is actually helpful.:mad::sad2:

So maybe all of you should just let the TEACHERS post now???? ;) The ones with the knowledge to answer in the first place. THERE IS A THOUGHT!!

I don't think I've read one post from a teacher that hasn't been helpful. And expressed in a very tactful way. Just sayin'.

And we're the ones who are rude? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'm confused...did you miss the part where I said that I'm a teacher? Or am I just riff-raff? :rotfl: And let's be honest here, you have continued to defend your position over and over again despite being given very thoughtful responses from teachers and "riff-raff" alike.

I'm sorry, but you really sound like you are overly stressed out over this whole thing and might need a break from the boards. I hope things start looking up for you soon.

And we're the ones who are rude? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'm confused...did you miss the part where I said that I'm a teacher? Or am I just riff-raff? :rotfl: And let's be honest here, you have continued to defend your position over and over again despite being given very thoughtful responses from teachers and "riff-raff" alike.

I'm sorry, but you really sound like you are overly stressed out over this whole thing and might need a break from the boards. I hope things start looking up for you soon.

No you aren't riff raff just your posts are. I bet you are retired right??

Not stressed even a little bit........actually lovin' it! I love to see how all of you get so worked up, talking to someone you don't even know!!!! Bahahahaha:rotfl2:

**Oh and I do find it amusing though that 99% of your posts are about school/teacher topics. Sounds like you are a real authority.

No you aren't riff raff just your posts are.

Well, bless your heart. :sad2:

I bet you are retired right??

Nope, not retired. In fact, I recently entered the teaching profession. My kids are still in middle and elementary school.

Not stressed even a little bit........actually lovin' it! I love to see how all of you get so worked up, talking to someone you don't even know!!!! Bahahahaha:rotfl2:

Hmm, I don't think we're the ones who are worked up here. :rotfl:

**Oh and I do find it amusing though that 99% of your posts are about school/teacher topics. Sounds like you are a real authority.

I really have no idea what you are talking about. Of course I post about things relevant to my life. Don't you? I post about other topics, as well. If you had actutally taken the time to look up my previous posts, you would have seen that. Instead you have tried (and failed, obviously) to make it look like I'm some kind of a know-it-all about teaching. The thing I find fascinating about people like you is that you generally fail to see that you end up presenting yourself in a negative light, not the person you were attempting to put down.

answers in blue

You really are a strange bird. Or maybe just a troll. Either way, it's been an amusing little thread. Bye!

This thread really is something.:sad2: From what I have read I totally get why the teachers don't come. :rolleyes: We have a person who also watches what every single person does and has a pre conceived idea of what everyone should be doing. It is not going well as they have alienated more people than I can count. Of course they claim that it is all "for the kids" etc. when in reality it is a control issue. They need to just go with the flow and enjoy things more rather be worried about everyone else. Of course that is JMHO based on my observations.
OP- I tried to understand your vent but your snarkiness is of epic proportions. I wish you well and hope you have fun at every single event.:surfweb:

Frankly Op, it's really none of your business why teachers didn't attend this particular function.
They have lives just like everyone else, they should not have to account for how they spend their free time.

Just so you are all aware this is the post that started things on a down turn. I suggest you read the first couple of pages where the "valid" posters had something to say. When someone starts out nasty I will stand up for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter