Teacher Participation......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get what this story has to do with teachers adding more time (unpaid) to their schedule? :confused3

So, this man came in for a conference on school time, (during his work hours)..a time that was scheduled while you were at the school, and then you offered to pick up a coffee pot at a garage sale even though you felt the school should replace the one the teachers lounge has?

Why didn't you insist you meet him back at the school when he got off of work, (on your own time) so he didn't have to drive 45 minutes (a total of an hour and a half) and lose time from work? You could have just told him you love coming in after hours when you aren't getting paid. I don't understand the point that he came in dirty and stinky, rather than meet you at a time when he could have been clean. I really don't get what this shows us about giving up your personal time.

He came to see me a few weeks ago, for a parent/teacher conference. He drove 45 mins for a 15 minute conversation with me. (I offered to meet him on the weekend, or chat on the phone with him if that was easier. He insisted, on coming in like all other parents though.) He arrived filthy, stinky, covered in black tar and with a huge smile on his face. He works for a paving company and has been working in dangerous, 100 degree conditions on the highway, all day. After our interview, he was headed back to finish the job, before he was out of daylight. I was in my air conditioned classroom all day, with the person he would most like to be spending time with. As a teacher it makes me try harder.

So, after meeting with him, I head into the staff room and listen to 2 co-workers complain for 10 minutes, about how the coffee maker is on the fritz and the school should be buying us a new one. Should they? Probably. I told them next time I was passing by a yard sale, I would pick them one up for 3 bucks. Really?:confused3.....

He arrived filthy, stinky, covered in black tar and with a huge smile on his face. He works for a paving company and has been working in dangerous, 100 degree conditions on the highway, all day. After our interview, he was headed back to finish the job, before he was out of daylight.

I bet he was smiling:) He is probably making 2X more than you. Starting at 6am. Highway work? Heading back before the sun goes down? Overtime, baby:woohoo:

On a different note, parents and teachers volunteer in many different ways. Some aren't as obvious as others. Many people are very private about their contributions and do not like the attention. The last thing we need are people who keep count of every hour somebody else contributes or making mental notes of who is attending what. It doesn't make sense.

I bet he was smiling:) He is probably making 2X more than you. Starting at 6am. Highway work? Heading back before the sun goes down? Overtime, baby:woohoo:

I don't know about that. teachers where I live (my sister and her husband are both teachers one elementary and one high school) make a good income. If they have been teacher a few years I'll say 10-15 they are making 70-85K not including their benefit packages. i don't know a seasonal roadworker that makes that?

I don't know about that. teachers where I live (my sister and her husband are both teachers one elementary and one high school) make a good income. If they have been teacher a few years I'll say 10-15 they are making 70-85K not including their benefit packages. i don't know a seasonal roadworker that makes that?

I was speaking directly to the woman that recently became a teacher. Surely she is not making $85K. If she is, good for her! Some teachers deserve it!!

And, of course, with OT many highway workers make $70K. Good for them too:goodvibes

I said relationship building IS DONE, in the classrroom as well as extra activities.

Whatever....we will all agree to disagree. It is just so funny to me, how people are so rude. People can't disagree with each other, without someone throwing in snide remarks. Little extras come with any job, teaching or not.......

Snide remarks, like how people who disagree with you obviously do nothing for their kids schools?

Snide remarks, like how people who disagree with you obviously do nothing for their kids schools?

Been there done that....not going over it again.

And yes, I do feel that a lot of people in many situations sit and complain about the way others do things but wouldn't dare get involved. It's easier, to criticize than to stand up and try to change the things that you see need improving. Happens at school, work, sports teams you name it.

What does people in situations complaining have to do with teachers not willing to give up their free time to spend it with the kids they have been with all day?

Oh, maybe you mean the teachers that told you, er, the other gal that they needed a new coffee pot and and so she took the complaint and decided to do something about it (going to a garage sale and buying a new one). That doesn't have anything to do with expecting our hard working teachers to give up their free time. You never said the teachers were complaining that people didn't give up their free time to come to social events, and and because they were complaining, they should have been the ones to get involved.

Been there done that....not going over it again.

And yes, I do feel that a lot of people in many situations sit and complain about the way others do things but wouldn't dare get involved. It's easier, to criticize than to stand up and try to change the things that you see need improving. Happens at school, work, sports teams you name it.

I can't recall, saying that the reason I felt that my peers and I couldn't handle a 12 hour workday at many jobs, was because teachers wouldn't attend PTO events? Sorry, if you got that impression.

I am just tired of my peers, complaining about things that are irrelevant. So, if these hard working parents need 2-3 hours of my time every now and again, than I am happy to do it.

I'll give you an example. I have a widowed Dad with a son in my class. He has a boy and a girl both under 7. His Mom helps him with childcare (great Grandma;)) so he can go to work for 6am. He came to see me a few weeks ago, for a parent/teacher conference. He drove 45 mins for a 15 minute conversation with me. (I offered to meet him on the weekend, or chat on the phone with him if that was easier. He insisted, on coming in like all other parents though.) He arrived filthy, stinky, covered in black tar and with a huge smile on his face. He works for a paving company and has been working in dangerous, 100 degree conditions on the highway, all day. After our interview, he was headed back to finish the job, before he was out of daylight. I was in my air conditioned classroom all day, with the person he would most like to be spending time with. As a teacher it makes me try harder.

So, after meeting with him, I head into the staff room and listen to 2 co-workers complain for 10 minutes, about how the coffee maker is on the fritz and the school should be buying us a new one. Should they? Probably. I told them next time I was passing by a yard sale, I would pick them one up for 3 bucks. Really?:confused3

I have had great educational opportunities in my life. Have I worked hard? Without a doubt! I also know, not everyone has been so lucky and I have been in a work environment, without all the "perks" I have now. I don't forget that and I don't judge. This man's situation isn't unique. Our PTO is made up of lots of hard working parents, just like me. If they can find the time to make their kids school career more interesting, than I'm on board with my support. A few hours here and there won't kill me. (And my kids, or a least a couple of them, tag along 99% of the time and they love it!)

For the record I have 5 kids of my own. I can't even tell you how much we run in a week. :cheer2: Boggles my mind sometimes! Some people in life, just get out there and do it though and are happy to.........

I'm sorry if I misunderstood. I assumed when you said this: If all my PTO asks of me, is to go and attend a couple of activities throughout the year, then I will. I think, if more of us in the teaching profession, had to work a 12 hour shift at most jobs, we wouldn't make it! that you were specifically commenting on the circumstances being discussed in this thread, and not on teachers complaining in general.

If your bolded comment was directed at the specifics of this thread, then I disagree. I actually think a school dance is fairly irrelevant, but the 2 to 3 hours it would take are not irrelevant to me at all. That's an entire evening I could spend with my family, and that's far more important to me than a school dance. If you're commenting in general, then I can agree that many teachers - as well as those in other professions - do find lots of trivial things to complain about.

I admit to being a bit confused. Like DMRick, I don't see the connection between a teacher giving up her personal time to help a parent in need and one giving up personal time to go "support" the PTA at a dance. One of the two situations seems quite a bit more important to me, and more worthy of giving up free time if necessary. Each teacher needs to decide for herself how much free time she's willing to sacrifice for the sake of her students. I think many would be willing to spend time helping a parent even if they aren't willing to attend a school dance. (ETA - Was it personal time you were referring to? Or was the conference with the poor widower during school hours? I'm unclear on the timeline, but either way I think it's a very different situation than a teacher spending an evening at a school dance/Halloween party.)

As an aside, I must say that I am very jealous of your time management skills! With one child, I hated giving up any more free time than absolutely necessary. I can't imagine making time for five kids and also accomodating all the demands of the PTO and the parents. There's no way I could have been going above and beyond as much as you are willing to. Sometimes I barely had time to breathe while juggling work and my one child, especially in the mornings before school! I'm sure your PTA appreciates how giving you are, and that your coworkers enjoyed the coffee pot you gave the school.:flower3:

(snipped)

Are you including tuition in that assessment of little money and ok benefits? Tuition is a huge benefit, and an easy way to make more and not be taxed on it.

That said, teachers need to be able to lead their own lives. Some seem to see it as a calling, others as a job. Both can be excellent teachers.

I don't recall saying that my child got free tuition. She doesn't. We have gotten a 30% discount on tuition for the past three years. For the first 5 years that I worked here, we got no discount on tuition at all.

I don't recall saying that my child got free tuition. She doesn't. We have gotten a 30% discount on tuition for the past three years. For the first 5 years that I worked here, we got no discount on tuition at all.

i teach at a private school in order to give my child the best education possible in our area.

This appeared to indicate that your choice of teaching positions was associated with your children attending a specific school. Around here it is the norm. Apologies if you are offended. Most people don't include all of their benefits when they talk of them. It is smart to use those. Don't know why you would be offended for someone's belief that you were getting an awesome benefit.

You people just dont quit. don't you all have a job to get to or something? i am no teacher believe me. I am a troll though I guess.

oh JackJack08.....I'm just lovin' you :worship: It's deja vu, this whole thread (well, not the 'exact' same topic) except you're the one sitting in the hot seat. The mob mentality is a tough thing to conquer. You go girl :thumbsup2

Those darn teachers, if they don't enjoy putting on costumes and dancing with me and my children they aren't worth a darn!;):confused3

if I were the Mods I would just close this before it gets really ugly!

Too late. It started ugly. Ugly and judgmental and condescending and hypocritical.

I'm not judging anyone???? I just asked, if I was off base in thinking that maybe they could come out a COUPLE times a year, to support some activities. People really.........

And you got an answer. Yes, you are off base. You seem to be having a really hard time accepting that. Do you always have such a difficult time when people disagree with you? As someone pointed out upthread, if your attitude at school is the same as your attitude here, I'm not surprised the teachers aren't falling all over themselves to join you after hours. :rolleyes:

I was speaking directly to the woman that recently became a teacher. Surely she is not making $85K. If she is, good for her! Some teachers deserve it!!

It appears that is who answered you. Under the cloak of another username, but surely the same person.

At this point my question is:

Do many teachers really think they would be better off without a PTO at their school?

I guess if that's the case and if teachers in our school feel this way, then they shouldn't participate at all. And it makes me rethink our entire organization.

If they do think the PTO adds something to their school, job, classroom, environment, etc - then a slight bit of support isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Do many teachers really think they would be better off without a PTO at their school?

I guess if that's the case and if teachers in our school feel this way, then they shouldn't participate at all. And it makes me rethink our entire organization.

If they do think the PTO adds something to their school, job, classroom, environment, etc - then a slight bit of support isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I imagine that the vast majority of teachers do understand and appreciate all that their school's PTO does to help enrich and improve the students' school experiences. I suspect they also do what they can to support the PTO, even if they don't feel the need to attend school dances or parties and "have fun" to show their support. I know between PTA meetings and in school activities, I did quite a bit with my PTA even without attending some after hours activities they choose to arrange for the students. As both a parent and teacher (and PTA member), I have been very thankful for all the the PTA does, even if I don't choose to give up all my personal time to attend their social events.:)

Isn't a main purpose of the PTA/O to support the school, staff and students? I do know the main goal of teachers is to teach children. And I'm willing to bet the teachers and other staff do support the PTA/Os. However, the PTA/Os don't get to choose how the teachers choose to support them. Not showing up after hours does not equal no support.

See, the problem with your logic here is that you are presuming showing up after hours is how they demonstrate their support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter